Revell Lancaster Dambuster 1:72

S

Saber

As I am new to this forum thought I would post my recent models progress. I found this one very frustrating the black molding is a right pain to see when your gluing it up, and I have not got to the decals which are not playing ball so have ordered some micro sol and micro set to see if that helps with the silvering. However now its together and nearly one the completion side of things I am feeling better. I am really just starting after a long long break from this hobby and have a lot to learn. Enjoyed doing some pre-shading on this one for the top layers and practicing masking the canopy off with Tamiya masking tape that took ages to do but was worth the effort.Only the decals to sort out next then it can join my growing collection, feel free to throw any helpful suggestions my way.:mrgreen: Its my birthday on the 22nd and I will be 54 years old hoping for more model planes to make of course, gardening makes my back hurt.

View attachment 52007

View attachment 52008

View attachment 52009

View attachment 52010

View attachment 52011

View attachment 52012

View attachment 52013

View attachment 52014

View attachment 52015

View attachment 52016

Lancaster 9.jpg

Lancaster 10.jpg

Lancaster 1.jpg

Lancaster 2.jpg

Lancaster 3.jpg

Lancaster 4.jpg

Lancaster 5.jpg

Lancaster 6.jpg

Lancaster 7.jpg

Lancaster 8.jpg

A

andygh

All looks good to me and full marks for the masking, I resorted to the Eduard mask set when I built mine

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi Mark. I too returned to the hobby after a few decades, and haven't looked back. You have done a great job on this Lancaster, a big project for a return project.

A

andyrobs

Hi Mark, welcome to the forums mate, and what a cracking build to start with!!!! Nice to see another local suffolk boy as well!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

S

Saber

Cheers Andy, must admit I really struggled with the canopys when I got back into this but that Tamiya masking tape is brilliant stuff nice and easy to cut. I tend to cut it into small thin strips now and build up the fill in area just got to learn to be careful with the glue.

S

Saber

Thank you Joe, I think the bigger scale sets are going to be the ones I want to do as I get more and more into this hobby, if I can find the space for them all that is :mrgreen:

S

Saber

Thank you Andrew, ah Suffolk best place in the world. I used to live in Bristol for 10 years and could not wait to come back home to Suffolk again been here 14 years now and would never leave again.

Hoping the decals will go on better when I use this micro sol and micro set stuff that everyone says is the bees knees very frustrating when you spend ages on the paint job and the decals are poor quality. Have not had that problem with the other Revell models I have made so hoping its a one off.

First Name
Andy
Hi Mark,

This does look really sweet, the interior detail looks great...

With the canopy masking has anyone not tried the liquid mask stuff, not used it myself was just thinking it might be a lot easier...

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Mark that's a great build and paint job the camo looks great and there's some great detailing in the office, keep the photos coming of your progress. By the way welcome to the forum.

Vaughan

T

tecdes

Nice work Mark. Lancaster is quite a build which ever make of model. Lots of intricate work which I like.

I got a lot of advice from the Lancaster-Archive Forum (LAF) • Information. Very helpful lot & loads of photos in the Model Makers section. Also got from them a lot of very useful help for the Wellington I built recently.

Yes I have tried the liquid masking Stuff Andy. Found it had limited use. On canopies found it useless as you have to apply with a dead straight line. Used it recently on the very small windows set into the fuselage on a Catalina. Near impossible to mask with tape. The windows were set back slightly so you could use the edge of the fuselage as a straight edge for the brush. That worked perfectly & the liquid masking peeled away perfectly.

For canopies I use Jammy Dog tape. Comes in 11 sizes from .5mm up to 10mm. With .5, 1.0, 1.5, 2 being very very useful. These smaller sizes allow flexibility around curves & even tightish corners. Nice to use good adhesion & release. Found it superior to Tamiya. John in the shop now stocks I believe a similar type but I have not used this yet.

Laurie

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
very good stuff Mark - i have toyed with the idea of building a lancaster but a bit put off by the sheer size .... what is the length and breadth of this one? rgds lindsey

S

Saber

\ said:
Hi Mark,This does look really sweet, the interior detail looks great...

With the canopy masking has anyone not tried the liquid mask stuff, not used it myself was just thinking it might be a lot easier...
Thank you Andy shame most of the details are hidden when you put the canopy on but at least I know its there. Not tried any masking fluid stuff yet as I am finding the tape pretty good but the fluid might have been good for the tiny windows on the side. I made the mistake of not masking the front window at just beneath the gun turrets at the top end but its not too bad.

S

Saber

\ said:
Mark that's a great build and paint job the camo looks great and there's some great detailing in the office, keep the photos coming of your progress. By the way welcome to the forum.Vaughan
Cheers Vaughan, I am just waiting for some more stuff to finish the decals with then I will post the finished pics for everyone. Great forum very friendly and helpful.

S

Saber

Thank you Laurie and cheers for the links as well, I might make another one of the Lancaster's later one they are such great planes. Last year when I was fishing I saw a fly over by a Lancaster and spitfire heading to the Lowestoft air festival they looked fantastic flying alongside each other.

Never heard of Jammy Dog tape will give that a try. Now I have a Lancaster looks like I am going to have to get a spitfire to go with it.:mrgreen:

S

Saber

\ said:
very good stuff Mark - i have toyed with the idea of building a lancaster but a bit put off by the sheer size .... what is the length and breadth of this one? rgds lindsey
This one is quite a nice size not too big not too small with lots of detail to keep you happy. The decals are not very good they silvered up a lot when I tryed putting them on but I have not used future or gloss on it so that may be part of it.

The size of this kit is 11 and a half inches from the front to back and the wing span is 17 inches from the tip of one wing and right across the body to the next wing edge. It stands about 3 inches from the front to the top of the canopy.

Other things I came across when building it were that once you get the cockpit done and the main parts together you then face putting on the engines ready for the propellers. You really need to take your time with this as they are quite fiddly. You have the option of cutting out the sides so you can display the insides but I opted out of that and kept them on. Wish I had taken a bit more time on this and displayed them with the side open but I found the black moldings really hard to see when gluing the smaller struts on, my eye sights not as good as it used to be. I like to use a little bit of blue tack on a match stick to hold small parts in place rather then a pair of tweezers while I glue them on as well.

The Tamiya kits look really lovely but I cant afford them so this was a nice cheaper option and when its done comes out quite nice just be aware of the silvering issues with the decals.

Hope that helps :mrgreen:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A very nice Lancaster Mark and a great job for the first kit back. And i think a Spitfire would not look out of place next to it Great work and looking forward to your next build

S

Saber

Thank you Ian, I made a big 1/32 spitfire many years ago when I was working in Bristol at a care home. It was part of a project to help the kids we were working with and it took several weeks to finish and looked fantastic. Sadly when it was done one of the residents went on a bender and smashed it to bits along with the TV and radio, in fact anything he could get his hands on sigh..

So when I get round to making another it will be nice and safe in my display cabinet, the one I have not got yet but will very soon be needing that is.:cheesygrin:

S

Saber

Ok final pic of the finished model, the decals were horrible with this kit hope its a one off as all my other Revell kits were great and I had no probs with the decals at all but these ones were a pain. Got the microset and microsol applied and it did a good job at laying them down and after a few pinpricks to let the microsol in it came out ok. Now got three German planes winging there way to me from amazon so parking this one in the hanger.

View attachment 49321

View attachment 52092

Lancaster 15.jpg

First Name
Dave
Hello Mark.You say you had a problem with the decals silvering?.I might be wrong, but looking at your photo's it looks to me like you might have been trying to put them onto a matt finish?.You need to gloss varnish the model before applying decals to avoid silvering and then spray a coat of matt varnish on once they have dried.I apologise if I've got it wrong?.r