Revell Lancaster Dambuster 1:72

First Name
Dave
Just read your Microsol post which answers my previous post!.

S

Saber

Hi Dave

No your quite right that's what I should have done and will do on my next build but all the other decals on my other revell models went on with out any silvering at all and on matt finishes. So I do think the decals are not that good on this one. Now ordered some gloss and matt varnishes ready for my next model :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice job on a nice big lanc' The Revell seems to have a good level of detail. I built the Airfix one about 3 yrs ago but I don't think it has the detail this one has got.

S

Saber

Thank you Colin, I made the airfix Lancaster about 12 years ago or more and to be honest I liked that one better of all the Revell kits I have made so far this one was the least enjoyable to make. I like it now its done but the decals are very poor and the black molding was hard to see what your doing with. However on its plus points the details are quite good and when its done it looks very nice and makes a fine addition to your collection. Going to make a nice spitfire to go with it later on but have 3 german planes to start on next. The Tamiya Lancaster looks much nicer but this one was affordable.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Great work Mark, thats a beautiful looking "Lanc"

Tony.

S

Saber

Thank you Robert, Joe and Tony. I have now swopped sides and gone over to making German Planes just got my first two of three today so starting an new thread for the first one a Junkers Ju 88A-4 Bomber 1:72 scale Revell kit, beats gardening in this muggy weather that's for sure.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
If you're not sure about Revell kits, try the 1:72 Tornado. I built it, it's great. The 'experts' consider it to be one of the best in this scale.

S

Saber

Thanks Colin, so far all the Revell Kits have been very nice the only bug bear with this one was the decals really. Just got 3 more Revell kits to be getting on with and its my birthday next week so no doubt will have several more to add to that lot, plenty of practice ahead. :D

I

ian lanc

Turned out quite nice that one :emo1:

Are you still to put on the exhaust flame dampers ?

A tip to anyone still watching this thread is that the large Astra Dome to the rear of the canopy

is Post-War and only the small Astra Dome in the kit should be used for BC Lancasters.

The large Astra Dome was fitted to Avro Lincolns too.

Cheers.

Ian.

S

Saber

This one has gone up to my bedroom desk top at the moment having made about another 15 planes since this one but not sure what the exhaust flame dampers are? Cant see any more bits in the kit.

I

ian lanc

The flame dampers go over the exhausts all eight of them and one on each side of the nacelles

they are tricky parts to glue onto the Revell kit. They are like a long U shape maybe an inch long each.

Have a look at the below picture you'll see one nacelle has the dampers covering a pair of exhausts.

S

Saber

Ah I see what you mean, I will check the kit box contents again for them but I do kind of like the exhaust tubes showing. So did these covers go on when the plane was landed?

I

ian lanc

Only very early Manchasters/Lancasters did not have any fitted for a time

the Luftwaffe was able to home in on these bombers due to the massive flames

being expelled by the Merlins and Roy Chadwick designed the dampers to hide

the flames which did a good job to hide the flames from enemy fighters.

The dampers were bolted to the nacelle fairing covers on all wartime Lanc's.

On many post war Lanc's[after the war ended] they removed the dampers as they were not needed and increased power output.

Cheers.

Ian.

S

Saber

Ah I see very interesting Ian. So I really should put them on this model as it would risk it being shot down without those dampers. Thank you :smiling3:

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2