Richards completed Malayan Emergency Diorama

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Excellent build Richard! Great idea brought very nicely to what we see here.

I had to smile though and I mean it in the nicest way....."Managed only a silver in the Master's Catagory" Any form of recognition would have done me just fine. ;) ;)
Thanks Ron, me too but the weird thing about this event is they only give and announce bronze, silver and gold. Many should have been commended or given some sort of recognition. Still happy to have silverware.
A superb dio Richard.
Thank you Jim for constantly following my postings.
Beautiful work, and an excellent blog.
Thank you Paul. Glad you like the blog and hanging in there for the last two years.
Excellent in every respect, Richard. From conception through build to painting. Did the judges appreciate the humour?
John.
Thanks John, when I brought it into the hall the judges were already commenting. The chief judge even saying that he always looked forward to what I would bring to the table lamenting seeing my early dios when he was a kid and naming one that I had forgotten as it was destroyed in a flood. I felt humbled because he is well known for his Euromilitare gold award vignettes.
Was in a 'am bush sir. No it was a blasted monkey tree.

What a great idea. Brilliantly executed. I can understand the reason it took a while.
Having seen the photos from the show I recon that ANY form of recognition is well earned. To get a medal!? Cool beans. even if it was "only silver". lol
A monkeybush Ian, thank you. Base and bridge is 30 years old but the final concept was conceived only 2 years ago and rushed through. I needed at least one more week to paint in the vegetation details as a weakness highlighted by the judges. It's a tough world. :smiling2:
Well here you get the recognition you deserve Wabble .
It's not often the committee give a double dogs but in your case well deserved.

View attachment 484878View attachment 484879
Brilliant in every sense .
Congratulations from The Committee .
Thanks John and the committee, I'm going to hang'em high.:smiling6:
Well worth waiting for, and congratulations on your silver.
Pete
Thanks Pete and thanks for waiting too.
John you read my mind!
I was actually going to post the suggestion but you got there first!
Richard , this is just superb in every respect!
I love the birds which I had never noticed before(maybe they weren't there before?)
I love love love it to bits!
Thank you Neil, finally got the pics up for you. The Kingfisher was added only the night before packing up to head up North.
Outstanding Richard. A brilliant idea, executed superbly.
Thank you kindly Andy. Looking forward to your commitment to your Comets.
A perfectly executed dio Richard, and well done on the 'double dogs'..a very well deserved award, and probably the first time it's ever been awarded...(I could be wrong though), everytime I look at the pictures I spot even more hidden detail that I've missed before... this is certainly a masterclass in dio building, and it's been very interesting and informative read whilst you've built this.. :thumb2: :thumb2:
Thank you Chris, finding a spot to hang them danglies. The kids young and old had a ball counting the monkeys and searching for the kingfisher. The glass case was peppered with little finger prints from pointing. Glad you like the blog.
Defo the "Double Dog's" and Tip 'O the Hat to you Richard on this fine accomplishment! :thumb2:
Thank you for keeping me company from the other side Rick. Kept me going.
That is something special, well done.

Andy.
Special to me too Andy, thank you.
A truly spectacular diorama Richard, The modeling skill, composition and story telling are all exceptional.
Very well done sir!
All the best
Paul
I'm bad at telling stories...just a little better telling it in dioramas. Thanks Paul.
Superb Richard, absolutely superb!
Steve
Two superlatives in one sentence Steve, I like it.:thumb2:
Excellent stuff there Richard...
EVERY aspect is so well made and realistically painted :cool:,
A cracking scene, not to mention unusual and humorous, lovely stuff mate :thumb2:
Thank you Andy so will this make you return to dios and leave the planes for just a while? Or combine them?
Outstanding - sure to be a competition winner.
Thank you Peter...only silver, that's as far as I got...tough world and competition.

Karma....you take a long time to put something up and you pay the price for answering a long list of replies...I am grateful for the replies and kind comments guys.

Cheers,
Wabble

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Congrats for your award and I can only join the rabble complimenting your skill and fantasy. That dio is proof that if you can dream it you can do it!.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
As I’ve said before, absolutely top class mate. Everything about this is top of the line, from the idea, the execution, and all the little numerous touches.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Congrats for your award and I can only join the rabble complimenting your skill and fantasy. That dio is proof that if you can dream it you can do it!.
Thanks Andrea...I'm starting to worry about my dreams. :smiling6:
Richard,
Stand up and take a bow my friend that is simply stunning.
Thank you Scottie, recently got a bad back but will do it.
Absolutely outstanding work
Thank you kindly Dave.
As I’ve said before, absolutely top class mate. Everything about this is top of the line, from the idea, the execution, and all the little numerous touches.
As always most kind of you Tim.

Looking at my shelf now to see what to do for next year.

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
View attachment 485023

A natural for the Simon T scratch award. Bravo Richard

John
Wow, thanks John B. I would have liked Simon to have commented on it but sadly he passed close to a year before I had really got going. I still have a tribute build still on the bench and should continue that.

Cheers,
Wabble

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Richard

The others have already pretty much said it all. I've seen many, many dioramas since coming back to the hobby.

This really is up there with the very, very, very, very best. Outstanding figure and model painting, a simply stunning setting and very, very funny.

That would be a show winner for me in pretty much any model show I've been to.

You should be very, very proud of that.

Very well done.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another member has had the honour of receiving this 'Special Award'....... ;) ;)
Are you saying your goodself.!;)
Not given out before I thought, but thanks for reminding me .
Yours 453 confused most of the time .
Broadmoor .

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Excellent work there Richard, well laid out, lots of detail & nicely put together with a bit of humour into the mix, your silver was well deserved. I love the idea of kids looking at it & counting the monkeys!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Richard this is just stunning . A superb bit of live action snapshot . The whole thing from concept to build and finally getting the recognition at the show ( not enough in my opinion , should have been gold ) has been a labour of love for you and your specific interest in the subject really shows in the quality of this scene . Anyways , a lot of waffle to basically say I love it , congrats on a super result , cheers tony

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard

The others have already pretty much said it all. I've seen many, many dioramas since coming back to the hobby.

This really is up there with the very, very, very, very best. Outstanding figure and model painting, a simply stunning setting and very, very funny.

That would be a show winner for me in pretty much any model show I've been to.

You should be very, very proud of that.

Very well done.

Andrew
Thank you kindly for that comment Andrew. It's one of those dios I just won't need to tinkle with at all anymore...it is complete.
Excellent work there Richard, well laid out, lots of detail & nicely put together with a bit of humour into the mix, your silver was well deserved. I love the idea of kids looking at it & counting the monkeys!
Thanks Graeme, have always put a twist to my dios and some interesting bits for kids and their parents to look for. Opens up their shyness to ask questions.
Richard this is just stunning . A superb bit of live action snapshot . The whole thing from concept to build and finally getting the recognition at the show ( not enough in my opinion , should have been gold ) has been a labour of love for you and your specific interest in the subject really shows in the quality of this scene . Anyways , a lot of waffle to basically say I love it , congrats on a super result , cheers tony
Very lovely comment Tony. The labour of love was just shy of two years once it got off the shelf of doom...pretty fast in my books. The different sub compartments made it interesting to persevere. I'm actually very happy with the result of the water and the comment by the judges which made me miss the gold and that was the jungle being chaotic and that was spot on for me having hiked in our secondary jungle... God must have fell asleep when he created our jungle or we got the left-overs.:smiling6:Thanks.
Not really much more I can add to what's already been said Richard, an outstanding piece of modelling
Thank you Mick...just like a scene in the movie Crimson Tide when Gene Hackman commented to Denzel Washington about not talking much while taking in the breathtaking view before him and enjoying it without spoiling the atmosphere and ambiance.

Cheers,
Wabble

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Brilliant Richard! So much to look at, a truly magnificent work of modelling