Richard's TOON Corsair Tiger Models

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,

Since my Victors near completion, I'm ready to start with my Corsair. Coincedentally its in the same markings as Jakko's just completed 1/72 Corsair but dimension wise awfully distorted. :tears-of-joy: So here's the customary box and sprue shots...

As I mentioned I will try to motorise this little bugger...so with the sprue shot I have included the motor...

Started cutting...pictures later in next post.

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Richard,

So you are going to throw a Mabuchi in the Corsair??? This will be cool and I'm in. I just hope when you mount the prop and test the Mabuchi, you hold the Corsair in your hand or the thing could take off and fly away!!!

Can't wait to see what you do here and I hope all is well on your end of the world. Take care!

Prost
Allen

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Very interesting indeed Richard!
I’ll buy you a beer if you can make it properly fly:cool:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,

Allen, I didn't know what a Mabuchi was until I googled it...man, you know your motors. I thinks its half the size of the power units on Tamiya RC cars. I'll get some tie-downs ready. Weather is constant sticky and hot, all good.
Jim, fun it is but not when figuring out the switch mechanism and ways to make battery change easy. I intend to have the whole unit tucked inside the Corsair.
Si, I'll be parched dry...imagine fitting a 800cc engine into a P-47 and willing it to fly. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well it will move the air around Richard.
I'll sit next to the motor expert young Herr Dewire. Si has some more cakes unless Holly has eaten them all.:hungry:
John.

A

Armorguy

One of the most impressive planes in toon version...gotta love this !

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Richard, a bit late but welcome to the GB, I like the idea of motorising it, good luck with the rest of the build.
Pete. :thumb2:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice one Richard and a great idea of motorizing it.:thumb2:

A tip for removing the canopy, I found the best way was to use a JLC saw or the like as the sprue is pretty thick next to the fragile clear….
Tiger models have this with most of their Toon kits BTW…:rolling:

Looking forward to see this one taking off.

D

Deleted member 5819

Another way of removing the canopy clear parts from the sprue is by heating the edge of scalpel blade with a soldering iron not to hot to damage the parts.
You will get a nice clean cut though the gate without cracking the clear part, it works very well.

Pete

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks for joining this escapade of mine Ian, John R, Guy, Pete and Fernando. Trust me to get things complicated...unfortunately I'm turning this fun build into something a little harder for me...electrical engineering but I hope to pull it through and at least get a hand held mini fan. :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Thanks too for the heads up on the canopy. There's loads to improve the cockpit side panels as it's basically empty. It needs a throttle and some buttons/switches.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi guys,
I know this is coming a bit late but I still am having trouble finding the right batteries for the "Mabuchi". It works well with the ordinary AA cell batteries but the thin wafer lithium battery seems to give only spurts of power everytime its switched on so I may ditch the enclosed battery for an externally powered source. This would mean the plane will have a base to sit on where the AA battery will be hidden.
I have yet to experiment with a brace of 3 lithiums to see if I can get constant power. Can anyone tell me if there are different lithium batteries with specific functions and that i maybe using the wrong ones.

Cheers,
Richard

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have seen two very sneaky ways of hiding battery packs,
One was in an Aircraft starter pack. literally batteries in the trailer and a tiny plug in the airframe.
The other was done so the + and - wire ran down the landing gear as break lines and out through the bottom of each wheel. Two contact plates on the base. To turn it on you just place the wheels on the contacts.... It also had full lights as well as the prop.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard.

Lithium batteries can provide extremely high currents and can discharge very rapidly when short-circuited. Although this is useful in applications where high currents are required, a too-rapid discharge of a lithium battery can result in overheating of the battery, rupture, and even an explosion. Lithium-thionyl chloride batteries are particularly susceptible to this type of discharge. Consumer batteries usually incorporate overcurrent or thermal protection or vents to prevent an explosion. !!!!!
When I wanted to change some defunct batteries for house phones I was met with a bewildering amount of out -put offerings, what is the size you have in relation the the motor draw.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys... thanks Ian and John,
Two very good applications and an explanation to why I have switched to alkaline batteries that has gotten the motor to work.

I still want to have the batteries hidden in the plane itself which I'll be able to change. Getting the motor to align with the propeller is also headache...the mounting has to be precise either its not going to spin or I'll have a Mexican jumping bean. :tears-of-joy:

I'll solve it one way or another. It's not going to be pretty inside. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Richard we want a detailed office as as well nothing too fancy just an instrument panel some controls some framework etc.
Pete :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard we want a detailed office as as well nothing too fancy just an instrument panel some controls some framework etc.
Pete :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:.

No worries Pete, the wiring won't interfere with the cockpit details. Will be well hidden. Due to time constraint may forego cutting of flaps.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, ok I have struggled and made some headway to the alignment of the motor. Like I said it's not pretty but workable...

T3.jpg

It's secured with two part putty. You'll see the battery box and battery above. It's going to be a tight fit just below the motor. The good thing about these kits is that they a made for snap fit so that saves working out how to change batteries when needed.

T4.jpg

Undid all the dry fitting and painted the engine...still needs a wash of grease and more highlights on the push rods. Got rid of the seam lines on the propeller.

T5.jpg

You can just make out the pencil dots where i will have to cut out a square area for the battery box.

More later.

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice surgery work Richard:thumb2:, looking forward to the first test run.:smiling: