Rick's 1/87 Scale Roco/Komo Zis.-5 for Mr.T

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Getting closer to the "wet" stuff......Had to swap out the trailer wheels and tires. all four tires I had mounted on the spoked rims split apart....this after I had reamed them to relieve the stress as the fit was a little tight.....go figure.P1011565.JPGP1011566.JPGP1011567.JPGP1011568.JPG

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Rick love the conversation , that tarp is top notch. Was that with tissue paper ?
Paint , well what else other than 4 BO :nerd:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Guys, I'll get on with the detail painting today and if there is time I'll start on washes and weathering. The tarps were carved on with a hobby knife and a "ball" shaped grinder bit in my small bead reaming motor. Does a way better job that my Dremel. then the tarp surfaces were "stippled" with a stiff, short bristled acid brush soaked with MEK to bring up a coarse textured surface. Can't use too much solvent or the plastic becomes gummy.......but you get the idea. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thank you Richard, nice to hear from you. Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Guys, I'll get on with the detail painting today and if there is time I'll start on washes and weathering. The tarps were carved on with a hobby knife and a "ball" shaped grinder bit in my small bead reaming motor. Does a way better job that my Dremel. then the tarp surfaces were "stippled" with a stiff, short bristled acid brush soaked with MEK to bring up a coarse textured surface. Can't use too much solvent or the plastic becomes gummy.......but you get the idea. Rick H.
Thanks Rick,it certainly gave it "the look" .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for checking in JR, out celebrating the SWMBO's Birthday so will post up further progress when I am able. Rick H.

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thank you Mr. Jones, after the "Fuel Tanker" it is going to be tough.....when I did that build everything just clicked together like it was Leggos (other blocks are available)........now I get this feeling rarely and that's when I hit the bench hard..........my last update was Nov. 6th........between then and last night I was in no mood to pick up on anything.......there will be an update later on today and I've started my own "Group build" with a gang build of four 1930 M.B. L2 ambulances So there will be a thread coming on that if I don't get them finished while working on this truck and trailer for Simon. Glad you stopped by, guess I just needed to air it out a little. Rick H.

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Small update here.........I managed a couple of different washes and then realized I wasn't going to camouflage over JR's 4BO so I decided on a recognition flag....found a very thin piece of imported chocolate bar foil (very thin and textured) and I cut it to the exact size of the decal I selected.....formed the foil over the hood, glued it down and base coated it in red, then decaled over the top of it. Jury is still out on this, as I haven't flat coated it and dulled it with washes.........here's hoping. Rick H.P1011579.JPGP1011580.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Oh, for you fig. painters out there or anyone else in the know, I am open to suggestions as to how to tone down that red into a more subtle faded look.....I shall await your replies before proceeding further down that road.....plenty else to do. Rick H.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice build Rick, and that flag is a great idea. I wonder if just giving it a matt coat will tone it down ?

D

Deleted member 7181

It might be tricky now the decal is on, but if I want something to "blend in" more I'll mix in a tiny bit of the surrounding colour, green in your case.
I do it a lot with lights, where a bright orange or red lens would stand out too much.

Desaturating with a bit of mid grey is another option.