RNLI WAVENEY CLASS SCOUT 1:12 SCALE

S

Sky Raider

Day 15 - 18

As promised though a little late here is the update. As I mentioned I have been concentrating on the internal woodwork - non of this is mentioned or referred to in the instructions or plans and you have to fend for yourself here. Its all a matter of sitting down and working out where you are going to put the internal electrics etc. A rule of thumb is to place most of the weight at the stern and work forward decreasing each time. So this is my plan.

Stern - The main motor battery packs - above that the sound module, speaker and small 12v battery. Middle - Drive motors obviously. Forward - All other components, receiver, speed controllers, small battery for receiver and a couple of switches for On - Off and lights etc.

The forward woodwork is removable at the moment but once all the components are in place and I have primed the hull I will secure it with Epoxy. I decided to make a shelf section under the rear cabin above the batteries, this will hold the sound system and its power. A spare motor mount from the Hunter makes for a great speaker box.

View attachment 71077

View attachment 71078

View attachment 71079

View attachment 71080

View attachment 71081

View attachment 71082

View attachment 71083

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 71084

View attachment 71085

Day 15 - 17 (1).JPG

Day 15 - 17 (2).JPG

Day 15 - 17 (3).JPG

Day 15 - 17 (4).JPG

Day 15 - 17 (5).JPG

Day 15 - 17 (6).JPG

Day 18 1.JPG

Day 18 2.JPG

Day 18.JPG

C

CDW

You have to fend for yourself??

You sure you're up to it ..... You know, with you not having that much experience in this sort of thing ;) :smiling3:

Heh heh .. Frivolities over ....... Great work so far mate, Really starting to take shape!

This weight distribution practice, Quite technical stuff really, but makes sense when you think about it operating in the water.

S

Sky Raider

I scratched my head a few time Colin I can tell you lol. No thoughts for the beginner here when building this thing.

Cheers

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If the ballance is a bit off you can always adjust the ballast a bit so it sits well at the water line at rest.

I have seen some tugs that ride so high they look like they are about to tip over, and others that are so low in the water, they bury their stern in the water when they pull.

I am sure you will have the better of her. :oops:

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Ill try Ian. The stern weight isn't too heavy but is the bulk of the weight. Not enough to sit her low in the water but its a good place to start I think.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Day 19 - 20

Thanks Joe. I have spent the last two days working on the sound system module. With the speaker box complete its time to put this thing together. On the board we have the Speaker box a On/Off Switch the 12v Battery and the sound amplifier to 5W. The wiring consists of a Pos and Neg with the On/Off switch in the Neg line not sure why but that's how the wiring diagram shows it. A Yellow and a Blue that goes to a motor terminals for the acceleration sound, two white wires for the horn switching that I will explain shortly. All this sits snug under the rear cabin.

View attachment 71171

View attachment 71172

View attachment 71173

View attachment 71174

Now the horn switching. I had to think of a way to get this to switch when I wanted to sound it - so I decided that a channel on the radio will operate a servo that has a ground down wheel to form a cam, this will then rotate and operate a micro switch closing the switch when operated to sound the horn. All this had to be put together and a box made to house it all. Then I decided to mount it on the underside of the sound system as there was no room on top. Works perfect.

View attachment 71175

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 71176

View attachment 71177

Day 19 (1).JPG

Day 19 (2).JPG

Day 19 (3).JPG

Day 19 (4).JPG

Day 20 (1).JPG

Day 20 (2).JPG

Day 20 (3).JPG

S

Sky Raider

S

Sky Raider

Day 23

I have now fitted the last two steps in the lower rear deck. I have also started on the bulkhead lights, to get a better effect I have cut some 5mm square section Evergreen and capped the end off to produce a sleeve for the bulb to slide in. I have also painted the inside of the section silver and will paint the outside black. This will push the light forward and no loss will be inside the bulkhead section. I will show this shortly.

View attachment 71529

View attachment 71530

View attachment 71531

View attachment 71532

I also have recruited the 1/12 scale Crew and first glance they look fantastic with some great detail. More on these when the time comes.

View attachment 71533

View attachment 71534

View attachment 71535

View attachment 71536

Cheers

Andy

Day 23 (1).JPG

Day 23 (2).JPG

Day 23 (3).JPG

Day 23 (4).JPG

Day 23 Crew (1).JPG

Day 23 Crew (2).JPG

Day 23 Crew (3).JPG

Day 23 Crew (4).JPG

P

Polux

Arrhhhh.... Don't know how to express it Andy, but you have a natural talent building this ships!!!

Amazing...

Cheers

T

treyzx10r

Another masterful build in the making Andy,got my popcorn and a comfy seat. Anxiously awaiting the next update!

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Trey, make it last mate we still have a way to go lol

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Day 24 - 25

I have now completed the lighting in the rear lower deck and I must say it works well.

View attachment 71697

View attachment 71701

Additional to this I have used some Evergreen tubes as conduits to carry the cables to the batteries at the stern.

View attachment 71696

View attachment 71698

And here are some shots of the forward electrical section holding the receiver and the speed controllers along with their switches.

View attachment 71700

View attachment 71702

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 71699

Day 24 - 25 (1).JPG

Day 24 - 25 (2).JPG

Day 24 - 25 (3).JPG

Day 24 - 25 (4).JPG

Day 24 - 25 (5).JPG

Day 24 - 25 (7).JPG

Day 24 - 25 (8).JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Neat and tidy work Andy.

Looking good.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yep, nice tidy work Andy, I'm still watching from the shadows.

S

steve244

hi Andy just catching up with this build and looks great and may have a few questions regarding lighting for you later on as this is something i would like to get into but not sure of the best way to go about it

cheers steve