Scotties Bedford RL

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is going to be a big learning curve for me as I attempt to build the Accurate Armour Bedford RL. These were still in service when I first joined the Army. I spent a few hours behind the wheel. I received the kit from a neighbour who's husband had made a start on it but unfortunately passes away before he could finish it. He had a couple of RL's a GS and a Recovery variant whish he used to take to shows.

So I intend to build this and return it to her so she will have hopefully a memory of him.

DSCF4017.JPG

A couple of pictures of the parts

DSCF4052.JPG

DSCF4053.JPG

I can't really comment on the quality of the parts, as this is only the second resin kit I have ever built. That said the detail does seem soft in places and not well defined. However the texture on the canvas is very nice.

The first thing I had to do was try and remove the parts off the chassis as they were out of position or not straight, this was not easy as a lot of glue had been used.

All the springs will need to be scratched as they had snapped two of them before I even attempted to remove them.

This will be a challenging build and push my scratching skills to the limit but I am looking forward to it

Hope you can join me along the way and any advice will be more than welcome.

cheers
Scottie

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
TBH, rather you than me with a resin truck kit … But I’m certain you can make a good job of it :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'll pull up a chair to watch and learn.

I have a full resin car kit that I keep avoiding. A mate wants it building into a replica of his real car that I painted many moons ago. The media is putting me off so will be great to see how you tackle this.

And such a great idea, I'm sure your neighbour will cherish the end result.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Many a sore a--e from RLs etc, lovely compliment to your neighbour. Look forward to completion mate!
Steve

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've managed to find a seat Paul
Glad you remember them, did my driving test in one , drove from Bordon to Portsmouth.
Can't see you having a problem with the resin , I managed a complete Russian copy of the Caterpillar engine ! Just have the hot water ready !

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'll pull up a chair to watch and learn.

I have a full resin car kit that I keep avoiding. A mate wants it building into a replica of his real car that I painted many moons ago. The media is putting me off so will be great to see how you tackle this.

And such a great idea, I'm sure your neighbour will cherish the end result.
Andy,
Resin kits are a lot more work as I am finding out, the brittleness of the parts, even fairly large parts is quite off putting.
Many a sore a--e from RLs etc, lovely compliment to your neighbour. Look forward to completion mate!
Steve
I had a Bedford MJ Box body as my ride, but drove these on a few occasions in the early 80's as they were being phased out.
I've managed to find a seat Paul
Glad you remember them, did my driving test in one , drove from Bordon to Portsmouth.
Can't see you having a problem with the resin , I managed a complete Russian copy of the Caterpillar engine ! Just have the hot water ready !
Glad, you made it John. The one thing I do remember is being able to open the windscreen on a hot day. Kettle on standby lol.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have managed to scratch the front springs and hangers and other details that had been lost or damaged. When they have all dried I will attach the front axle and look at what is salvageable from the linkages, shock absorbers etc.

DSCF4057.JPG

DSCF4058.JPG

I might redo the bolts on the diff cover.

cheers
Scottie

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The springs came out great, but the diff. bolt heads look a bit large.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great start Paul.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nice! Will follow with interest!!

My family has a long association with Vauxhall/Bedford Trucks. My paternal grandfather worked there in the War (too old to service) and my maternal grandfather volunteered for the RAF but as he as a toolmaker at Vauxhall he was deemed to be in a reserved occupation.

My father worked at Bedford Trucks for about 30 years, having been bought out by AWD in 1986, until they finally went under in 1992. As I understand it he set a record for being the youngest foreman when appointed and then the youngest general foreman in all of GM's UK operations - the latter record he held for c. 15 years. GM even offered him the chance of a transfer to the US operations, which he declined.....often wondered what would have happened if he had accepted.

So in summary will love to see what you can do with this and I see you have started your usual detailing process!

ATB

Andrew

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Oh boy.....more brittle resin. I'll sit next to JR for this Mr. Scottie. I've taken a break from my brittle truck project so will follow along and consume a cuppa Tetley's along with the good Mr. Race.

• Love
Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Oh boy.....more brittle resin. I'll sit next to JR for this Mr. Scottie. I've taken a break from my brittle truck project so will follow along and consume a cuppa Tetley's along with the good Mr. Race.
....."The Good Mr.Race".....
..... are there two Mr.Races then Rick?! :thinking::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: