Scotties Bedford RL

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The chassis is pretty much done now, just a pit of PE to add but I will leave that until later in the build. More parts that were missing was the exhaust, and spare wheel carrier one part was broken. Also added straps to the fuel tank and a chain to the filler cap which you cant see in the picture.

DSCF4068.JPG

DSCF4069.JPG

Next up is the cab. This is going to need a lot of work. The moulding leaves a lot to be desired with heavy flash and imperfections around the window openings. The front grill is useless with parts of it incorrectly moulded so they are not straight as you will see in the picture. Plus the panels will need to be re scribed.

For anyone who has built a model like this what is the best way to mark out and secure the clear sheet that is supplied for the glazing.

DSCF4064.JPG

DSCF4065.JPG

cheers
Scottie

I must admit I'm not looking forward to this bit

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve never tried building a kit like this, so I haven’t got a ready-made solution for the window problem, but I think you could probably get a long way by putting tape over the outside of the windows and spraying paint onto them from the inside. That will give you a template for the shape, though you may want to cut the plastic slightly larger and then trim it to fit?

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I’ve never tried building a kit like this, so I haven’t got a ready-made solution for the window problem, but I think you could probably get a long way by putting tape over the outside of the windows and spraying paint onto them from the inside. That will give you a template for the shape, though you may want to cut the plastic slightly larger and then trim it to fit?
That sounds like a plan.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is close to becoming a build that has beaten me. The cab has put me off resin models for life which is a pity as there are some nice subjects out there. The has been cleared up as best I can but the the resin is so thick and badly cast that areas around windows and doors are now bigger that the doors that are supposed to fit in them. I have completely removed all the window surrounds and will remake out of evergreen. The door has been fitted after wrapping a strip of plastic around it to take up the gap. then a strip was added around it for the rain strip. This still needs to be filled and cleaned up. Does anyone know why the resin has gone all mottled on the door?

DSCF4072.JPG

looking at the picture I will also remove the mirror bracket and make new and the door handle.

The front grill was also very bad so it was easier to cut it out and make new. The strips have been glued in place and will be shaped later. (Hopefully)

DSCF4070.JPG

There is still a strip to add to the grill at the top and the towing eyes and also missing as I have discovered is the bumper so I will have to think how I am going to make that.

Any suggestions will be very welcome.

cheers Scottie

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
My sentiments to a "T" regarding resin.....in my case it is desperation for variety that spurs me on. You are making a valiant effort so don't give up Mr. Dawg!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You appear to be winning :smiling3:

Reading my big book about the Dutch Army’s vehicles post-WWII, I found out today that “we” also almost had that ugly RL in service, but it lost out to the DAF YA-616 because, basically, of lobbying. Look how much better-looking vehicle we ended up with instead!

YA 616.jpeg

Easier on the scratchbuilder, though … Well, the cab shape, anyway. Not sure about that brushguard, unless you’re @Scratchbuilder ;)

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Just caught up with this one Paul, the resin moulding does look rather poor, but I'm sure you can sort it. How do the makers get away with such poor quality?
Jakko, it looks like we have competition in the 'The Ugliest Truck' contest!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Look how much better-looking vehicle we ended up with instead!
Ironi did for come? lol As a fan of British military trucks I confess that the DAF does not look that bad though.

I have now seen two AA builds on here and I must say I am glad that I did not bite the bullet and spend my beer tokens on them.

I have a few resin kits/conversions under the belt and I will say that the casts in that Bedford look like :poop:

The scratchery you are doing it the bees knees!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I feel your pain Scottie. That is truly awful. However if anyone has the skills and patience to build this then you have. I suppose it's just a case of slowly working away to overcome the kit's short comings.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
My sentiments to a "T" regarding resin.....in my case it is desperation for variety that spurs me on. You are making a valiant effort so don't give up Mr. Dawg!
Rick,
I would hope that other manufactures have a better quality control. But given the price of resin kits I'm not sure I want to chance it. Hopefully I can make this in some way passable.
You appear to be winning :smiling3:

Reading my big book about the Dutch Army’s vehicles post-WWII, I found out today that “we” also almost had that ugly RL in service, but it lost out to the DAF YA-616 because, basically, of lobbying. Look how much better-looking vehicle we ended up with instead!

View attachment 494631

Easier on the scratchbuilder, though … Well, the cab shape, anyway. Not sure about that brushguard, unless you’re @Scratchbuilder ;)
Jakko I remember seeing these on exercise in Germany in the early 80's.

Just caught up with this one Paul, the resin moulding does look rather poor, but I'm sure you can sort it. How do the makers get away with such poor quality?
Jakko, it looks like we have competition in the 'The Ugliest Truck' contest!
Graeme, I think they just use the moulds over and over again without checking what comes out. That could be a group build going forward the ugly truck build lol.

Ironi did for come? lol As a fan of British military trucks I confess that the DAF does not look that bad though.

I have now seen two AA builds on here and I must say I am glad that I did not bite the bullet and spend my beer tokens on them.

I have a few resin kits/conversions under the belt and I will say that the casts in that Bedford look like :poop:

The scratchery you are doing it the bees knees!
Ian, Thanks I'm glad it's not just me. The trouble is they are expensive. If I had bought this they would be getting it back with a flea in there ear.

I feel your pain Scottie. That is truly awful. However if anyone has the skills and patience to build this then you have. I suppose it's just a case of slowly working away to overcome the kit's short comings.
Jim, I think your right I will plod on slowly if nothing else it is a good chance to practice the scratchery .

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have finished the grill, it's not perfect but it is a great improvement on the original well at least I'm happy with it :tongue-out3:. I have also decided to fill all the panel detail as it was far to overstated and badly done. The other door has been fitted and the fit was even worse than the other side.

DSCF4073.JPG

DSCF4074.JPG

While waiting for the filler to harden up. I made a start on the cab interior. Not a lot of detail has been added as it wont be seen. The pedals were missing and I added the pipe to the dead mans handle. Also a lock and grab handle to the engine cover.

DSCF4075.JPG

DSCF4076.JPG

DSCF4077.JPG

The operating lever still needs to be added.

cheers
Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Interior looking good. The fit really should be better but you'll get there.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
You definitely have been busy Bro. The kit appears to have some nice details like the texture on the seats and the instrument panel. Of course your additions make it even better Paul. Weird is the grill though.....Your new one is a 100% improvement over the kit's rendering. I wonder why no one saw that when they cast the cab...Keep going Sir, and it will turn into a finely finished build with that Scottie touch written all over it!!!...

Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The cab is nearly there now. I decided to add the panels from very this sheet as the fillers I have just don't scribe very well, come back original formula squadron green. The window frames have been added but still need a bit of tidying up. The indicators have been scratched. The bumper has been made (another missing piece) I will re do it as it as it doesn't have the required curve it is too angular. So it still needs tidying up and some rivet detail added.

DSCF4078.JPG

cheers
Scottie

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The cab is now finished with the addition of the etch, rivet details new door hinges and handles and a new bumper which is a lot better than my original attempt it has more convincing curve.

DSCF4079.JPG

DSCF4080.JPG

I'm not sure if I should paint this in Deep Bronze Green or a NATO black/green finish. Suggestions welcome. Plus I don't normally use a primer but do I need one with resin?

Cheers Scottie