Scotties Miniart US Bulldozer

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Some more excellent work Scottie, it would be a real shame after fighting it this far.

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This guy does a good run through on his build and how he did the tracks

Miniart Dozer
Cheers for that Steve as it happens that is the way I decided to build them as well as the instruction way is useless. But he obviously has more patience than me as I have decided on some Frulis.

Why is it when I look for material like that I can never find it. I must be using the wrong expressions to search.

Wookie2486

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martyn
Scottie

When I built my dozer, if I remember right I believe I built all the links together with a drop of glue one each end of the rod once it was long enough i joined it around the running gear and then placed the track pads on. I do remember it took alot of effort.

If I had known fruits did the tracks I would have ordered them from there aswell.

Marty

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sorry Scottie missed the fun and games

Reads like a bit of up hill battle? Of course you will beat it into shape

Bob

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
Catching up here Scottie looks sublime so far and it seems to me you've got your head round this tracks malarkey, as you say no need to get brain strain!!
Keep up the excellent work
Rob

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I can understand the frustration, just as you win one battle up pops another. You can do it.
Cheers Mick glad you have faith in me.
Scottie

When I built my dozer, if I remember right I believe I built all the links together with a drop of glue one each end of the rod once it was long enough i joined it around the running gear and then placed the track pads on. I do remember it took alot of effort.

If I had known fruits did the tracks I would have ordered them from there aswell.

Marty
Hi Marty, I tried that but there was so much clearance on the pins that they were very floppy so now binned and waiting for some frulis.
Sorry Scottie missed the fun and games

Reads like a bit of up hill battle? Of course you will beat it into shape

Bob
Bob no worries if it's to easy it's boring ;)
Catching up here Scottie looks sublime so far and it seems to me you've got your head round this tracks malarkey, as you say no need to get brain strain!!
Keep up the excellent work
Rob
Cheers Rob, modelling should be fun it's not worth getting frustrated, part of the problem is probably me.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The build continues with the construction of the blade this was all straight forward with no issues. You get the choice of the blade being turned right/left or straight ahead. I opted for the straight ahead.
DSCF3452.JPG

I replaced the kit locking pins with copper wire, I also reasoned that as the pins were removable they would be on a chain to prevent them getting lost so added some etch chain.

DSCF3453.JPG

finally added the toolbox with a bit of added bling from the spares box.

DSCF3454.JPG

cheers
Scottie

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul I found Russian version of the cat just as maddening with the tracks. As I hate tracks anyway other than Fruils I thought it was just me. Well worth having , ok they cost but it will make the whole build look much better . Can't believe Mini Art have made them awkward, not like them .

Wookie2486

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martyn
Scottie

I think you have made the right choice mate I'm definitely following this even more as I feel like I have to build another one.

Marty

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Scottie

I think you have made the right choice mate I'm definitely following this even more as I feel like I have to build another one.

Marty
I agree with you Martyn, there's something about them. I've built two Russian versions. Nearly If not identical to the original US version. With the engine covers off they make a great build .Lots of small parts that fly about with many hrs searching the floor !
One was the Trumpeter with a resin engine and the other a Border Models .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Tip 'O the hat for your "sticktoitiveness" Mr. Scottie......and the bonus is the fruils will take it up another notch to an even more Masterful build! :thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul I found Russian version of the cat just as maddening with the tracks. As I hate tracks anyway other than Fruils I thought it was just me. Well worth having , ok they cost but it will make the whole build look much better . Can't believe Mini Art have made them awkward, not like them .
John, Miniart do make some very well detailed kits, but I do question the need to make an assembly out of 10 parts using very small items when given todays moulding techniques they could easily be done with far less with no loss of detail. The tracks IMHO are the weak point of this model.

Scottie

Marty
Hi Marty, you must be a glutton for punishment lol. I may be doing this kit a disservice and it is my lack of skill that is the problem. By the way what happened to the chinook you were building did I miss the end of the build?

I agree with you Martyn, there's something about them. I've built two Russian versions. Nearly If not identical to the original US version. With the engine covers off they make a great build .Lots of small parts that fly about with many hrs searching the floor !
One was the Trumpeter with a resin engine and the other a Border Models .
John, I would probably build another version but not with the kit tracks:rolling:;)

Tip 'O the hat for your "sticktoitiveness" Mr. Scottie......and the bonus is the fruils will take it up another notch to an even more Masterful build! :thumb2:
Rick, thank you mate hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I would probably build another version but not with the kit tracks:rolling:;)
You could try one of the Mirror Models kits instead and see how they compare?

First Name
Andy
You could try one of the Mirror Models kits instead and see how they compare?
Having built the Mirror Models bulldozer it is just as complex as the one Scottie is doing, lots of tiny fragile parts and the tracks are only slightly less of a nightmare, but very fiddly just the same.

Andy.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Having built the Mirror Models bulldozer it is just as complex as the one Scottie is doing, lots of tiny fragile parts and the tracks are only slightly less of a nightmare, but very fiddly just the same.

Andy.
Andy, I take my hat off to you if you managed them tracks, they beat me lol.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Having built the Mirror Models bulldozer it is just as complex as the one Scottie is doing
I’ll have to keep that in mind when I get round to building mine, then :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Scottie,
some of the MiniArt models are massively over engineered - I have a YA-12 Soviet tractor in my shelf of doom - this was the model that really put me off MiniArt - tiny pieces, brittle plastic - it brings me out in a cold sweat just thinking about it! The Trumpeter S-65, the tracks were marginally less tortuous, I gave up any thought of 'working' tracks, and CA'd most bits together - a little mud can hide a really dodgy construction!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Have you not seen my townhouse???? ;) :smiling5: