Sd.kfz.7/1

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Love it :cool:.....
..... good tip about moistening the surface before adding the oil dots,wondered why sometimes I found them stubborn to drag down/blend !!:anguished::tears-of-joy:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Good stuff Bro!!! Good to see you back at building this baby. I really like the beat up rubber on the wheels. I always loves the armored cab version of the 8-ton and the 4.5 ton trucks too. Are you going to use the trailer from the kit? If so, I hope you are into a lot of scratchy mods on it Paul...Not exactly the most correct piece for this vehicle...Now bring on the rest!!!...

Prost
Allen
Thanks Dude, The armoured trucks do have that certain something don't they. I have read that the trailer is not very accurate I may have a tinker with it.
Loving this this scheme Paul, looks to have gone down very nicely.
I know what a tricky scheme this can be…..you have to be nifty with the windy stick to get a clean pattern and I reckon you nailed it :cool:
Thanks Si, it's not perfect but hopefully it will do.
Stunning Paul.Been following at the back with the late comers.Oil dot i must try.Always like trying new technique.
Rich
Richard, give it a go it is a simple technique it must be if I can do it, and it can add a lot of depth to a bland finish.
Looking very good as always Scottie.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, glad your looking in.
Caught up at last.... This is looking very good and to your usual standards. Bit late now but to show sag on a mesh I use the ball from an old pc mouse and roll it over the mesh. You might still be able to get away with it - but please be carefull.
Mike.
Mike, thanks mate I normally just press my thump in gently but that's a good idea about the ball. Stored for future use.
I beleive Trumpeter mixed up the two types of cab armour. They potray the single bent sheet type but add the riverts where the two sheet designed type met. Reference books and images show which need to be removed.
Los, I think your right and given it appeared to be the bent type sheets I removed the corresponding rivets. I will be digging out your build to try and see what's wrong with the trailer.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm really not happy with this, the gloss coat I put on has reacted with the paint giving it a horrible mottled look. Despite this I continued with it.

DSCF3994.JPG
DSCF3995.JPG

DSCF3997.JPG

The load bed I am happy with but there is still work to do on it.

DSCF4001.JPG

DSCF4002.JPG

I am happy with the running gear. Hopefully you can make out the dirt on the chassis. Just for interest I painted the idler red oxide to show a replaced wheel, to this end the wheel rubber has not been distressed.

DSCF4003.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I tend to agree with Jakko, it may well turn out to be a happy accident.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Gotta agree with Jakko and Rick, if you hadn’t of said anything about the varnish I wouldn’t have known there was an issue.…. Has a nice weathered look by my eye :thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I don’t know, I kind of like the mottling effect I see on the cab armour.
Jakko, I'm getting used to it and I guess it could of been worse. Lesson learnt. I have used it on Valleyo paints with no issues, but it doesn't seem to like Tamyia.
I tend to agree with Jakko, it may well turn out to be a happy accident.
Cheers Rick, I guess it could have been a lot worse.

Gotta agree with Jakko and Rick, if you hadn’t of said anything about the varnish I wouldn’t have known there was an issue.…. Has a nice weathered look by my eye :thumb2:
Si, it does give a lived in look, but would rather it wasn't there or at least of my doing if you understand what I mean.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The vehicle is pretty much done now, just have the wing mirror to add but that will wait until the end.

The tracks have been added, but from the picture I have to smooth down one of the links over the sprocket.

DSCF4004.JPG

DSCF4005.JPG

Some graphit has been added to the raised detail on the tread plate.

DSCF4006.JPG

cheers
Scottie.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Very nice :cool:

What are you using for you polished steel effect….looks really good

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
If you hadn't mentioned the reaction between the gloss coat and the paint I'd not have noticed. Just thought you had a well worn vehicle which looks very good. Doesn't a bit of graphite make a big difference :smiling:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking fabulous mate!
cheers Andy, to kind.
Very nice :cool:

What are you using for you polished steel effect….looks really good
Si,
The tracks were just burnished with a 2b pencil. The load bed I have a graphite pencil that I rub on some emery paper then using the tip of my finger I rub the powder into the model.
If you hadn't mentioned the reaction between the gloss coat and the paint I'd not have noticed. Just thought you had a well worn vehicle which looks very good. Doesn't a bit of graphite make a big difference :smiling:
Jim, thanks mate as the others have said a lucky accident.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Like others have said it wouldn’t have been noticed but does look good