Sd.kfz.7/1

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good stuff Scottie, really taking shape now,love that flooring :cool:,
those tool clamps look pretty fiddly..... were the tools themselves "bare" to begin with,or did you have to sand moulded,blob type, clamps off ?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The main build is now 99% done. Next will be the preshade of the cab etc. The mesh on the side panels I have tried to distort it a bit to show it being bent out of shape by being stood on.

DSCF3987.JPG
DSCF3988.JPG

I have also built the tracks which despite having 3 parts per link went together well. There was quite a bit of clean u of the sprue gates but the links themselves are nicely moulded. The track rubbers have been left of for painting and distressing.

cheers
Scottie

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Nice work Paul, the extra touches add a lot to it.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have sprayed the cammo pattern using Tamyia dark brown and dark green. After this my normal oil wash using the dot technique.

DSCF3990.JPG

This will be followed by a gloss coat ready for the pin washes.

The wheels have also been painted. I am quite pleased with the way the tyres have turned out I wanted them beaten up in stark contrast to the brand new red oxide replacement.

DSCF3993.JPG

These are also awaiting pin washes and weathering.

cheers
Scottie

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Lovely looking paint job so far Paul.

I really must have a try at that oil dot technique again as it always adds so much character to your work.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lovely looking paint job so far Paul.

I really must have a try at that oil dot technique again as it always adds so much character to your work.
Thanks Andy,
Dig out an old kit and give it ago. It is really easy to do and as you say it does add some depth to the paint work.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Paul, I've tried before but came a cropper with the subsequent work.

Reading your post it sounds like you protect it with a gloss coat before proceeding which I think is where I went wrong - cleaning up my pinwash stripped the oil dot effect!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Paul, I've tried before but came a cropper with the subsequent work.

Reading your post it sounds like you protect it with a gloss coat before proceeding which I think is where I went wrong - cleaning up my pinwash stripped the oil dot effect!
I normally paint the base colours when this has dried normally over night I do the dot wash when this has dried then I gloss coat and then do the pin washes and further weathering.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good stuff Bro!!! Good to see you back at building this baby. I really like the beat up rubber on the wheels. I always loves the armored cab version of the 8-ton and the 4.5 ton trucks too. Are you going to use the trailer from the kit? If so, I hope you are into a lot of scratchy mods on it Paul...Not exactly the most correct piece for this vehicle...Now bring on the rest!!!...

Prost
Allen

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Loving this this scheme Paul, looks to have gone down very nicely.
I know what a tricky scheme this can be…..you have to be nifty with the windy stick to get a clean pattern and I reckon you nailed it :cool:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Stunning Paul.Been following at the back with the late comers.Oil dot i must try.Always like trying new technique.
Rich

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good as always Scottie.

Andrew

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Caught up at last.... This is looking very good and to your usual standards. Bit late now but to show sag on a mesh I use the ball from an old pc mouse and roll it over the mesh. You might still be able to get away with it - but please be carefull.
Mike.

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Jakko,
Looks like I'm going for the bent one ;) :smiling:.
I beleive Trumpeter mixed up the two types of cab armour. They potray the single bent sheet type but add the riverts where the two sheet designed type met. Reference books and images show which need to be removed.