Sharing my tank drawings

First Name
Hong
Hi guys,

I'd just like to share a few drawings of tanks that I made quite sometime ago. These drawings were in fact teaching/example materials for my college students. I am teaching part-time at a local college (under architecture program).

FYI, new college students are required to undergo two technical drawing classes before moving on to intermediate level (computer based).

I found out that quite many students had problems and struggled to understand the drawing fundamentals, especially in the subjects that require them to manually draw object in 2 planes, in 3 planes, and the (dreadful) perspective.

Instead of using (boring) simple model building blocks to illustrate various types projection drawings, I used tanks (since they are composites of blocky objects anyway) as example. To my surprise, the "tank approach" worked and piqued the students' interest in the subject. So many questions were asked during class in session. Interestingly, some students even asked about the tanks armament, capabilities, and all. hahaha. At one point, the students were so eager and wanted to drawing more complex subject, like cars, helicopters, robots, etc hahaha. They literally forgotten about architecture. Boys will be boys, I suppose.

Anyway, here are few teaching material drawings I've made and shown to my students in drawing classes (I guess I'll continue to draw them, so long the students are eager and excited to learn drawing). In addition, the projection drawing process were documented in youtube videos so (future) students could access them when and where needed. You may have noted that the video viewership is pretty appalling, as the videos were intended for my students in the first place and I didn't really go all-out promote the videos. So, no problem there at all.

*If this new thread isn't appropriate in any way, I will gladly remove it per the request of the forum moderator(s).

Anyway, here are the drawings that I'd like to share with fellow forummers on scale-models.co.uk, and the drawing process video at the end of this post.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No problems with you posting these at all. This section is all about other interests and hobbies.

That is a very good drawing Hong, your students where lucky.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hong,
I had to take technical drawing as a part of my apprenticeship - I'd never done anything like that before & I did struggle a bit - over first & third angle projections, and I could never keep my drawings clean!
Fast forward past a career in the Merchant Navy ( never did a single drawing ) - I found myself knocking out engineering drawings of diesel engine parts, geometric tolerancing and all. The mechanical skills of drawing on a piece of paper replaced by CAD. The company I went to work for was in transition between paper drawings & electronic files. Half the drawing office was bright with natural light & people bent over drawing boards, the other dim, so we could see the monitors ( initially CRT mono green! ). Within 3 years, the paper drawings were archive only, on film, there was only half the staff, and we turned out more work.
Then we went to 3D - I designed cylinder heads & crankcase etc, no paper drawings in house - stress analysis done by computer - all suppliers working to files transmitted over the net. Isometric drawings dropped automatically and even animated assembly instructions produced.
I've retired now, but I saw the transition from paper to computer. I was lucky enough to be able to adapt to CAD - some of the seniors never could...................
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Outstanding..... Well worthy of any formal publication!! Very well done

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's pretty cool Hong. I used to storyboard a lot in my days in the agency but didn't transition to computers as by the time I had other people to do it. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Love it. I took Geometical and Mechanical drawing at school. G&M as it was known. I managed to pass the exam even though I did not fully complete a single question on the Geometry paper. It was two, three hour exams if I remember correctly.

My daughter completed an engineering degree. I think a lot of time was spent designing and modelling in SolidWorks....

Nick

First Name
Hong
Thank you for much for all the kind words and sharing your personal experience about drawings, guys. To be perfectly honest, I was abit hesitant when considering opening this thread. Knowing the fact that there are so many fine and exceptional model tank builders at this forum, I thought I would be easily grilled by death because of my many inaccuracy of tank drawing. :smiling6:

On a serious note, I enjoyed drawing the T-55 tank and have discovered so much about it when researching on this subject. There are so many variants of this T-55,, its predecessor and its successors. Best of all, my students are happy attending the technical classes knowing there will be tank drawings to see.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic work hong , i can see why the students loved it . I did technical drawing at school to gce level ( O level ) but if our teacher had been like this we probably wouldnt have spent as much time throwing rubbers and twanging each other with the T squares ! :smiling5:
cheers tony

First Name
Hong
These are fantastic! I love the video especially, quite mesmerising! Will you share some more?
Most certainly, Paul. It would my pleasure to share the drawings.

This is a slightly toned-down version of tank drawing, more boxy. I'd noticed some female students (they are bright and hardworking than boys) having slight issues following the technical drawing class. So, I picked the boxy tank (the mythical "Tiger 131") for the class exercise.

While preparing the exercise, I have learnt the "toothy surface" forward the hull was actually spare tank track, (also doubles as frontal armor). Before that, I was always curious, but never had bothered to find out what it was. I've read so much about the Tiger thereafter. Such a magnificent piece of machinery. No wonder there are so many Tiger fans around the world.

Along the way, I have learnt what "Panzerkampfwagen" meant.

And the (speed-up) video showing the entire drawing process of the Tiger.

First Name
Hong
I would like to share another tank drawing I've made. Since I have drawn a Tiger, then why not do a Sherman (with reference to "Fury"). It was pretty tough drawing the "Fury", but I enjoyed it, especially the process of researching on the Sherman. My students were quite excited when I shared with them the still shots of the drawing process. A few students managed to notice "Fury" word on the gun barrel. ;)

And to cap it all off, here's a video if you wish to watch the drawing process.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice drawings Hong, btw did you get to go to the Ship & Heli GB T CKTans?

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Hong
Nice drawings Hong, btw did you get to go to the Ship & Heli GB T CKTans?

Cheers,
Richard
Thank you, Richard. I wanted to, but couldn't visit CKTan's workshop, as I had minor sore throat, so decided not to go public places as precaution. I highly suspect it was due to the prolonged hot weather in the country (and not Covid, whew)

How did the event turn out, btw?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you, Richard. I wanted to, but couldn't visit CKTan's workshop, as I had minor sore throat, so decided not to go public places as precaution. I highly suspect it was due to the prolonged hot weather in the country (and not Covid, whew)

How did the event turn out, btw?
Too bad...I posted it on the Events section. Check it out.

Cheers,
Richard