Sharing my tank drawings

First Name
Hong
Hi Paul. Thanks for the question.

For the entire drawing - the drafting (in 2B wood pencil) took about 25 minutes, done in one session.
The inking took longer, about 45 minutes, plus 5 minutes for gray shading/shadow once the entire inking was done.

I wouldn't draw any faster, because my hand would be sweaty....and would wrinkle and ruin the paper. (The paper I use is A3 multi purpose, which isn't a good choice, but that would make do at the moment).

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Again, simply brilliant!

First Name
Hong
Again, simply brilliant!
If I could find a bowing emoji I would dedicate it to you mate!
Steve
Thank you for the words of encouragement, guys. I'm happy to share the drawings. I must admit that the drawings aren't as accurate as I wish them to be. I am thankful for the wonderful tank reference photos available on the internet. In addition, kit builders website offer superb detail reference for my drawings.

First Name
Hong
I'd like to add another tank drawing, the T-34. It's one of my favorite tank, simply because it looks so good. (I know I might be offending someone by saying so).

Back to the drawing, I was quite pleased with the pencil line drawing, but I guess I over rendered it in the end. It looked visually heavy with all the hatching. Would any T-34 kit builder care to comment on the turret size?

If case you wish to see the drawing process, here's the video.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hong,
well executed drawing of the T-34, but to my eyes the turret looks too small - the T-34/85 had a 3-man turret, it was quite wide, and longer than it was wide the height was very roughly the same depth as the ground to the flat portion of the fenders..............
I'm afraid my manual drawing skills are pretty poor, my original coworkers were all trained draughtsmen - a few of them were accomplished cartoonists as well - and even their rough sketches were excellent. - as they should have been with 30+ years of experience! I'm afraid only one or two succeeded in the transition to 3-D CAD, most retired early. I found that instead of being the youngest in the design office ( at 33! ), I was one of the older members, and for two years before I retired, the oldest - 8 years older than my boss! He had been a company apprentice, whilst I had a previous career in the Navy before, becoming a design engineer
Dave

First Name
Hong
Hong,
well executed drawing of the T-34, but to my eyes the turret looks too small - the T-34/85 had a 3-man turret, it was quite wide, and longer than it was wide the height was very roughly the same depth as the ground to the flat portion of the fenders..............
I'm afraid my manual drawing skills are pretty poor, my original coworkers were all trained draughtsmen - a few of them were accomplished cartoonists as well - and even their rough sketches were excellent. - as they should have been with 30+ years of experience! I'm afraid only one or two succeeded in the transition to 3-D CAD, most retired early. I found that instead of being the youngest in the design office ( at 33! ), I was one of the older members, and for two years before I retired, the oldest - 8 years older than my boss! He had been a company apprentice, whilst I had a previous career in the Navy before, becoming a design engineer
Dave
Thank you for the valuable feedback, Dave. You are absolutely right about the small-turret size in the drawing. Now, I noticed the turret in the drawing couldn't even fit 2 person, much less for 3-man. I'm going to work more on the human scale aspect in the future drawing. ;)

I'm quite competent in Autocad, but not so in the highly precision 3D environment. I've learned 3D via SketchUp, and find it much easier to use, especially for preparing conceptual design presentation works. Very intuitive and user friendly, plus it's free (the older version, that is).

First Name
Hong
Hi Guys,

I'm adding a M113 APC drawing, a tank which need no introduction for tank builders and enthusiasts. I couldn't decide and pick the correct uniform (and era) for the tank crews, thus made them generic instead. :smiling3: I think the presence of the crews give the tank a sense of scale.

With added background and text (my students kept asking the name of the tank).

And the drawing process video, if you would have 5 minutes to spare.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thank you for the valuable feedback, Dave. You are absolutely right about the small-turret size in the drawing. Now, I noticed the turret in the drawing couldn't even fit 2 person, much less for 3-man. I'm going to work more on the human scale aspect in the future drawing. ;)

I'm quite competent in Autocad, but not so in the highly precision 3D environment. I've learned 3D via SketchUp, and find it much easier to use, especially for preparing conceptual design presentation works. Very intuitive and user friendly, plus it's free (the older version, that is).
I started on CADAM, then went onto Catia 4, then 5 - I also used Autodesk Inventor & I-DEAS, but Catia was my main design tool - I designed several crankcases & cylinder heads, as well as lesser components and accessories for diesel engines. I would think most of these are obsolete now - the first ones ran on mainframes, the later ran on Windows platforms, you had to have internet connections to validate the product licenses............
Dave

First Name
Hong
Hi guys,

Here's an update to this thread, a drawing of M270 MLRS. Pretty old school rocket compared to the modern precision and guided ones.

Please accept my apologies for the gray-ish looking drawing (refer 1st drawing). Under natural lighting the drawing looks fine. However the drawing appears to be a gray-ish mess under LED lamp when I photograph it. I suspect it was the 2B pencil lead I used. It tend to be reflective under the LED lamp somehow.

The second drawing was colour and contrast adjusted, background and text add.

And a video of the drawing process of the T270 MLRS

First Name
Hong
This one is my favourite SAM missile launcher Chaparral tank when I was young. Drawing the Chaparral brought back a lot of fond memories.

Drawing the tank was pretty straightforward, as you would imagine it to be composed of a few boxes stacked on each other. The track took a bit more time to draw, especially keeping all the wheels consistent in size and shape.

The launcher/missiles was a bit of challenge to draw (for my students learning the technical drawing, under parallel projection topic) as they need to draw all four missiles alligned and angled correctly. Nevertheless, my students were happy to take up the challenge and submitted their decent drawings on time. As a bonus, students who submitted their tank drawing with camouflage get a another 5 points. :smiling3:

Here's my Chaparral drawing in completion.

The Chaparral given a minimal grayscale background and text.

And a drawing process video, if anyone is interested.

First Name
Hong
Hi guys,

Here to share 3 tank drawings I've made. If you have noticed, the drawings are now coloured. My students gave feedback that the drawings would look better with colour, and I totally agree with them. I think one of the biggest appeal of military machines lies in the colour scheme. Please pardon me for the dull colour of the drawings. I'm a bit rusty at Photoshop after years not using it :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hong , congratulations on your drawings, the committee would like to award you with a
The Dogs_0.jpg THE DOGS 2 MOD.png
Beautiful renditions .