Short Sunderland iii

First Name
Carl
Sunderland is looking good Carl
Thanks fly joe, to be honest this old kit is very rough around the edges and generally I can build them but I don’t go too
Mad on fixing all the fitting issues and in accuracies. Ithe instructions for painting are poor so I have referred to the google for photos of the original aircraft. Unfortunately there seem to be so Many variants I’m struggling to find any one picture that seems to be consistent. I will just go with what I have and ignore the fact that this model is far from 100% accurate.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Carl
Late in - sorry. A big model even at 1/72 so if you had found a 1/48 kit you'd have needed a bigger bench.
I will just go with what I have and ignore the fact that this model is far from 100% accurate.
A man after my own heart :thumb2:
Very neat work and the masking is great and looks to have worked a treat.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Carl

She is looking very good indeed.

I too would love a 1/48 version and a couple of years ago Hong Kong Models were asking opinions about a 1/32 or 1/48 Sunderland. I believe most repondents suggested 1/48, so who knows, given HKM are now producing in 1/48 maybe we will get lucky.

You would not get the spraying problems that you had with MRP. That said, pigments can still hit the model dry if you spray from too much of a distance, but that is easily corrected by a mist spray of Mr Levelling Thinner that reactivates the paint so it can self-level. i would suggest given them a try sometime.

First Name
Carl
Hi Carl

She is looking very good indeed.

I too would love a 1/48 version and a couple of years ago Hong Kong Models were asking opinions about a 1/32 or 1/48 Sunderland. I believe most repondents suggested 1/48, so who knows, given HKM are now producing in 1/48 maybe we will get lucky.

You would not get the spraying problems that you had with MRP. That said, pigments can still hit the model dry if you spray from too much of a distance, but that is easily corrected by a mist spray of Mr Levelling Thinner that reactivates the paint so it can self-level. i would suggest given them a try sometime.
Hi Barry, good quality 1:48 would be nice, something to keep an eye open for.
i will
Order some of the self
Levelling thinner for future projects. I did use the MRP for the white on the model and that went on fine. Sprayed it in the garden as it’s quite strong smelling. The paint that didn’t do so well was the grey AK rc295 paint I used . It was a bit of a random choice to be honest. Alas I suspect it was conditions rather than the paint itself.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Barry, good quality 1:48 would be nice, something to keep an eye open for.
i will
Order some of the self
Levelling thinner for future projects. I did use the MRP for the white on the model and that went on fine. Sprayed it in the garden as it’s quite strong smelling. The paint that didn’t do so well was the grey AK rc295 paint I used . It was a bit of a random choice to be honest. Alas I suspect it was conditions rather than the paint itself.

Yes indeed,
Some paints, particularly water based, are much more susceptible to heat and humidity.

First Name
Carl
I’ve just about finished this one . It has had some challenges. I had some painting issues and just to top it whilst weathering it with lots of dirty panel Liner I managed to also panel
Line my desk and carpet as well.
I decided to
Leave off the landing wheels as in
My opinion they ruined the look of the plane.
Anyway, a few pictures of the pretty much finished plane which I have possibly over weathered but to be fair a lot of the stock photos on google seems to show the plane got pretty filthy in use and this certainly looks that.
FE056C32-BFDE-42E4-A721-D1DAA1A59A45.jpeg6476362B-6D66-43B3-A541-DC6B4F0C9BDA.jpeg1A8F3CBE-4C83-4B1C-BCC8-0AC14118A49E.jpegC1E3CFE2-1968-4701-9B2D-4B20B2F1FB85.jpeg344120D7-8F4D-419B-B41B-7330D0E02A4D.jpeg785F1FFA-F2BE-46D5-AF81-E8759EBD2DAB.jpeg9B80E63D-A6CC-4498-B995-9A1DBB065C01.jpegCAC03E38-6ED1-4B6A-8074-6F29D2757267.jpeg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Carl
Sorry missed the start of this. Just caught up and got say it's turned out very well.

ATB

Andrew

First Name
Carl
Thanks for all the positive comments. It’s a strange model this one. When the paint was complete it just looked very fake and too new. This usually suits me fine with most my other models but this one just seemed to lack any real character. Somehow the dirtying up of a perfectly good paint job seemed to improve it and give it back some realism.
anyway, whilst I’m building the Queen Mary ship I must decide on next plane model build, I have several in the growing stash continuing the WW2 theme Including the P61 Black Widow and the B17 Flying Fortress both in 1:48 scale.
carl

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
It looks just great, Carl.
WAY better than my gloss white version from 50+ years ago :smiling5:
And I honestly think you've been quite subtle with the weathering- most of the pics I've seen they really took a hammering!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Very nice looking :smiling3: Also good to see you built it with the bomb doors open, I always thought that was one of the most interesting features of this plane, the way the bomb racks slide out to the sides under the wings.

First Name
Carl
Very nice looking :smiling3: Also good to see you built it with the bomb doors open, I always thought that was one of the most interesting features of this plane, the way the bomb racks slide out to the sides under the wings.
Yes, was my thoughts exactly. I was concerned that the hollow interior might become evident but as the opening is right under the wings you really hardly notice.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent result Carl.
I've enjoyed following the build.

Ron

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I don’t think it’s over weathered at all. You have done a great job on one of my favourite aircraft.