Shortage of Hawker Hurricanes

First Name
Gary
Really strugging to find a quality Hurricane 1/48 model. Airfix do one and Hasagawa have a 1997 tooled one but no Tamiya or even ICM. For one of the most important planes in WWII thats a disgrace. Sure the Spitfire is more glamourous and rightly so, but the Hurricane was, and is a master piece of an aircraft

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well - How about the Italeri Mk. I, Classic Airframes Mk.I,
The Hurricane was always less glamourous than the Spitfire - and makers go for models that have a ready market. The Airfix Mk I is a very nice model, and will be hard to beat by any maker...........
Dave

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
The Arma Hobby Hurricane in 1/72 is considered the best hurricane kit there is. If you get the expert version it comes with masks and some PE

Warren

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The italeri hurricane is a very good kit that builds up nicely I made it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. There are two versions on sale, one of which is a BOB special. The Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Was a new tool a couple of years ago and has had very good reviews and is also available from several outlets.

First Name
Gary
I was looking at the Airfix one, either the BOB or the Tropical one. I think thats the safe option for me. Just a shame not really that many available in stock of other makes. I understand the reasons of course, just a shame

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I've just ordered the Fly Models Mk1 for the BoB GB, but it's in 1/32.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've just ordered the Fly Models Mk1 for the BoB GB, but it's in 1/32.

That's a fun build, but a good looking model of a Hurricane. I made the Mk II some time ago, I remember particularly enjoying the photo-etch :rolling:

@Gary, I saw some 1/48 Airfix Hurricanes on Amazon when I was trying to find something else (unsuccessfully).

Cheers

Steve

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
That's a fun build, but a good looking model of a Hurricane. I made the Mk II some time ago, I remember particularly enjoying the photo-etch :rolling:

Yes, despite all the known issues I decided to give one a go anyway. :smiling3:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Really strugging to find a quality Hurricane 1/48 model. Airfix do one and Hasagawa have a 1997 tooled one but no Tamiya or even ICM. For one of the most important panes in WWII thats a disgrace. Sure the Spitfire is more glamourous and rightly so, but the Hurricane was and is a master piece of an aircraft
Try to find one in 1/32 scale

There is the crappy 60’s Revell tooling and a couple of short-run kits with all the problems they present, if you can find one...

Yes, the Hurricane is iconic, one of the most important aircraft from early WW2 and it deserves high quality ‘kitting’ in 1/48 and 1/32

Come on Tamiya, one of your 1/32 ‘Uber’ kits, you know it makes sense and it will sell like hot cakes.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've wondered 'Why not' for a few years now. It's an obvious choice they seem to ignore.

I'd buy one, hell, I might even buy two, and I never keep a stash of more than a couple of models. At the moment I have one.

The problem is how many would they sell? I really have no idea, but would expect it to be somewhat less than their Spitfires worldwide. The Hurricane does not have the same wow factor as the Spitfire, which would be relevant outside the UK market, for example selling it in the Asian market (which Tamiya must know well).

Could Tamiya make the investment in the development and tooling for an 'uber' Hurricane kit and still be able to sell it at a price where they could shift enough units? These kits are already costing 100+ quid, which is a lot to most people. Who will buy it at 250 quid?

One thing is certain, the Hurricane is under represented in large scale, which is a shame for such an important and iconic aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'd buy one, hell, I might even buy two, and I never keep a stash of more than a couple of models. At the moment I have one.

The problem is how many would they sell? I really have no idea, but would expect it to be somewhat less than their Spitfires worldwide. The Hurricane does not have the same wow factor as the Spitfire, which would be relevant outside the UK market, for example selling it in the Asian market (which Tamiya must know well).

Could Tamiya make the investment in the development and tooling for an 'uber' Hurricane kit and still be able to sell it at a price where they could shift enough units? These kits are already costing 100+ quid, which is a lot to most people. Who will buy it at 250 quid?

One thing is certain, the Hurricane is under represented in large scale, which is a shame for such an important and iconic aircraft.

Cheers

Steve
Good point Steve. The Hurricane is a 'bread and butter' aircraft to us, but in the world wide market, probably not. So, ok Tamiya, I'll settle for a 1:48. I know the Airfix is good, but I'm sure even that offering can be improved upon.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Try to find one in 1/32 scale

There is the crappy 60’s Revell tooling and a couple of short-run kits with all the problems they present, if you can find one...

Yes, the Hurricane is iconic, one of the most important aircraft from early WW2 and it deserves high quality ‘kitting’ in 1/48 and 1/32

Come on Tamiya, one of your 1/32 ‘Uber’ kits, you know it makes sense and it will sell like hot cakes.
A model is only crappy if you build it crappy if you have compassionate for the old 60s models you can turn them into real nice ones

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A model is only crappy if you build it crappy if you have compassionate for the old 60s models you can turn them into real nice ones

Really? Depends what you want.

If you like lots of sanding, scraping, correcting faults and scratch building you can turn a crappy kit into something. Personally life is too short for that. I prefer well engineered modern kits where I can concentrate on the parts of the processes I most enjoy.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Barry. It depends on what you like and that’s fine to me life not to short to enjoy building sanding and scratch building parts to make a model something it once wasn’t when it was new out of the factory that’s the difference between a builder and a craftsman and that’s ok too

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
This is the old debate though Barry. Is it more fun buying something that is well engineered, goes together like a glove but costs £150+. Or spend a vastly smaller amount and have fun scratch building/modifying which will probably give far more modelling hours per £ spent. Horses for courses really. Everyone is right in their own approach.

Back on topic though. The Italeri Hurricane is fun to build. Not tried the 'new' Airfix one yet