Show us yours...again

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Subject to managements orders here at Race Towers a full clean of the cave has taken place ! :cold-sweat:
I'm still suffering from shock, mainly because I started to enjoy the exercise.This is very worrying because normally I will work until It can't find anything, but this time things were so what in order.Well for me anyway.
View attachment 424851
Actually took all the clutter outside off the desk, threw away a load of knackered brushes, sorted lengths of timber and moved them out of the way.
Put short lengths of Balsa into a container. Even cleaned the cave chair !
On good authority I gather the floor will be next, beacons knows what we will find .
View attachment 424849
Even bought a new cheap CD player.
View attachment 424848
Of course this is not an attempt to gain entry into the TBC
I currently am banned for 5 years for attempting to gain entry the last time .
My Management Team is persona non gratis in my cave, unless she brings tea and sticky buns! Mind you, I am similarly barred from her Knitting room! Dioramas look excellent John!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not sure Tim.......have not researched it as of yet........it and the Shako sort of fell into my hands at a garage sale (do you have those in the UK?) some years ago and has been packed away until recently. It has no markings on it but I'm sure it is a standard pattern. definitely enlisted ranks head gear. Rick H.
The shako plate should give you somewhere to start Rick. I’d say it’s late Victorian but I could be miles out. They might well be Franco Prussian war vintage?
We do get similar things to garage sales, called boot sales. The big difference is that instead of you selling from your garage you take all your stuff to a location, such as a sports field, along with other traders, and sell from there. You usually pay a pitch fee to a charity for the privilege.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Shako looks like one of these Rick...

The picklehaube looks to be of similar vintage and origin, the plate is definitely Prussian. Could be a couple of valuable items so might be worth getting them properly researched.

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Rick, if anyone breaks into your cave while you're in there you'd be spoilt for choice on which knife to use for defence...I would go for the Katana. :smiling2:

1622371294143.png

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Richard......"Never take a knife to a Gun fight"! ;) :tongue-out3::tongue-out2::smiling3:;):thumb2: I can't remember where I heard that line, but it has always stayed with me.......seems to make sense if you have a choice in the matter. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for checking on the headgear Tim.....I just wasn't getting it done and now you have gone and peaked my interest so will have to do some research. :thumb2: Rick H.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
All these pictures of people's collections has prompted me to dig out my one piece.

This was given to me by my Grandfather when I was around seven years old. He had spent the war years serving in North Africa and Italy. Not sure if he brought this back with him. It's been in my custody now for over fifty years.....

20210530_142814.jpg

Nick

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
All these pictures of people's collections has prompted me to dig out my one piece.

This was given to me by my Grandfather when I was around seven years old. He had spent the war years serving in North Africa and Italy. Not sure if he brought this back with him. It's been in my custody now for over fifty years.....

View attachment 424916

Nick
Wow!
A '36 Grenade - often incorrectly called a 'Mills Grenade'! Happy days coaxing them out of the hands of nervous recruits on the throwing range! Are you
certain it's a training grenade? Unscrew the base plate and hope there's not a fuse assembly present! :tears-of-joy:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice souvenir......might have been one your Grandfather tossed himself in practice of course. Rick H.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
:smiling3: it's always been devoid of internals since I've had it.... not sure if the markings on the base have any significance??

20210530_153814.jpg

20210530_153752.jpg

20210530_153852.jpg

Nick

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Richard......"Never take a knife to a Gun fight"! ;) :tongue-out3::tongue-out2::smiling3:;):thumb2: I can't remember where I heard that line, but it has always stayed with me.......seems to make sense if you have a choice in the matter. Rick H.
Rick mate, I think that line was from “Untouchables”, just before Connery gets killed!

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
The most important question is this Nick.....do you still occasionally throw it up the garden and shout “boom”?

That made me laugh Tim. When first given it, it seemed massive. These days it feels handily chuckable, but I reckon it could do a fair bit of damage even without blowing up! And I always was pretty rubbish at sports involving throwing something. I'd probably end up demolishing my workshop...

Nick

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think that line was from “Untouchables”, just before Connery gets killed!
That one goes (from memory), “If he pulls out a knife, you pull out a gun. If he puts one of yours in hospital, you put one of his in the morgue.” IIRC it happens sometime before Sean Connery’s character gets killed, when he’s giving Kevin Costner’s character advice on how to take on the Mafia.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That one goes (from memory), “If he pulls out a knife, you pull out a gun. If he puts one of yours in hospital, you put one of his in the morgue.” IIRC it happens sometime before Sean Connery’s character gets killed, when he’s giving Kevin Costner’s character advice on how to take on the Mafia.
No Jakko, this line is later......it goes something like. “ain’t that typical of a thug, to bring a knife to a gun fight”.....then he follows the thug outside and gets killed by another thug with a Tommy gun.....

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The base stamps show type (36 Mk 1), Date of manufacture ('40), and the manufacturers code) I think the Z is an acceptance office code - but not sure on that one! Pity you don't have the spring, striker, release handle and ring - would have made an ace paperweight!