Si B’s 1/35 Airfix British Army 30-cwt 4x2 G.S truck

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
A Christmas present that jumped the queue and has made its way onto the bench.

Not built any 1 35 Airfix models before so was keen to see how it went together and I’m pleased to say I’ve not hit any negatives so far.

Here’s what you get in the box….IMG_1872.jpegIMG_1876.jpegIMG_1879.jpegIMG_1877.jpeg

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Work began with chassis assembly.

A nice big A4 destruction manual, very easy to follow.

Quite a few parts here but all necessary and a reasonable level of detail for the unseen bits. No problems with fit and very little flash.…..
IMG_1882.jpeg

Wheels next and again pleased to say they went to together with no issues.
IMG_1883.jpeg
IMG_1884.jpeg

Instructions call for you to stick the front end to the chassis at this point but I decided to get the bed made up so I can dry fit everything and make it easier for painting in sections.
the cargo bed is made up of several parts with good location points. Some good detail on panels and on the battery (?) trays underneath…..
IMG_1885.jpegIMG_1886.jpegIMG_1887.jpegIMG_1888.jpeg

IMG_1889.jpeg

A cheeky dry fit before curling up on the sofa with a glass of something….
IMG_1891.jpeg

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Count me in Si
Bring it on Si. Dave
Cheers chaps, good to have you along :smiling4:

As much as I do like this kit, and that Airfix have utilised the K2 chassis for a GS, why have so many model companies NOW decided to do British softskins, AFTER I'd fully downsized to 28mm have to scratchbuild!
I heard they where all waiting for you to downsize Chris :surprised:;):smiling4:….like they waited for me to scratch build a flak sled for an Opel blitz then released the complete kit :tired:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Cheers chaps, good to have you along :smiling4:

I heard they where all waiting for you to downsize Chris :surprised:;):smiling4:….like they waited for me to scratch build a flak sled for an Opel blitz then released the complete kit :tired:
Yeah, it does happen. Oh, let's buy that old expensive kit, because there'll never be a new...
There's a new one, isn't there

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Carried on this morning and added the details to the cargo bed. Frames for the canvas tilt and a frame to store the spare tyre.

IMG_1896.jpeg

Next up is the cab. All pretty straightforward stuff really but a boo boo in the instructions have you looking for the base of the cab as part C13…..IMG_1893.jpeg

Part C13 was added earlier and is actually a part of the steps….
IMG_1894.jpeg

Not exactly a catastrophic mistake but worthy of note if you’re building one. :nerd:

Cab innards go together nicely …
IMG_1895.jpeg

And finally for now, the cab dry fitted together. Will need to chuck a bit of paint around before sealing it up…..
IMG_1897.jpegIMG_1898.jpeg

Thanks for looking :thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like a nicely detailed kit.
Coming along nice as well Si

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Great to have you all looking in chaps :smiling4:

Been having a google for interior colour and the only walk around I can find is a restored vehicle.
Don’t suppose anyone has an idea what the interior should be?

thanks in advance

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I looked for the ambulance Si, and basically the inside of the cab seems to be the same as the outside. I know the engine was a turquoise colour by the way……apparently it showed oil leaks more easily.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Bit of a discussion here….
The last comment is made by someone who has had a lot of books published on the subject of vehicle colours so is probably worth listening to.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Bit of a discussion here….
The last comment is made by someone who has had a lot of books published on the subject of vehicle colours so is probably worth listening to.

Cheers Tim :smiling4:

I doubt much will be visible but least I can do is get the general look of the interior right…..plus I get to use up some of the huge quantities of paint I’ve acquired over the years :smiling5:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Gave the interior some paint and finished adding the last few bits and bobs this morning.

IMG_1926.jpeg

Then gave the whole thing a blast of Mr Wotsitsname black primer.
IMG_1928.jpeg

I’ll let that dry then it’ll get its base coat and paint scheme.