Si B’s 1/35 Airfix British Army 30-cwt 4x2 G.S truck

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Si, I am disapointed with your build, were you in a hurry, got another better kit you need to start..... What happened to all the changes you are so capable of doing, those tie downs were screaming to be replaced with some crushed copper wire, and those canvas hoops, really.... The dark side are at this moment meeting to check the rules and regulations about your validity to remain a member and returning you to the other side...
Lovely kit and a great build from you, Airfix have certainly upped their game over the last couple of years, just wish they had included flattend tyres as they do in some of their aircraft kits.
Looking forward to the paint going on....

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Si, I am disapointed with your build, were you in a hurry, got another better kit you need to start..... What happened to all the changes you are so capable of doing, those tie downs were screaming to be replaced with some crushed copper wire, and those canvas hoops, really.... The dark side are at this moment meeting to check the rules and regulations about your validity to remain a member and returning you to the other side...
Lovely kit and a great build from you, Airfix have certainly upped their game over the last couple of years, just wish they had included flattend tyres as they do in some of their aircraft kits.
Looking forward to the paint going on....

Hi Mike, Well that’s me told then isn’t it :crying:

You are correct in that I am trying to get this built quickly and I do have another kit I’d like to get into….Too many in fact!
And you are also correct that there are some easy tweaks that would definitely add to the build….but in my defence I couldn’t be arsed :tongue-out2: :smiling5:.

Please accept my humble apologies on this occasion….i will try harder next time ;)

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Do you mean that stripey scheme by that bloke Caunter...
Mmmaybe...
Always the same Chris. Long ago I used the old Profile Publications booklet to scratchbuild an M-113, not long afterwards Tamiya brought out theirs. So, using their kit offering I thought gotcha! and built the M577 Command vehicle, took it up to the local model club for viewing and someone said "Wow! that was quick, they only issued it a week ago...."
Well, I'm at the point that I don't dare start some projects, just in case
There is ONE pending on the biplanes build

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Mike, Well that’s me told then isn’t it :crying:

You are correct in that I am trying to get this built quickly and I do have another kit I’d like to get into….Too many in fact!
And you are also correct that there are some easy tweaks that would definitely add to the build….but in my defence I couldn’t be arsed :tongue-out2: :smiling5:.

Please accept my humble apologies on this occasion….i will try harder next time ;)
Si, you are getting like me, far too lazy.... Pull out a box, lift the lid, put the lid back on, put it back in the stash. That covers two items, what to choose and the days exercise...:tears-of-joy:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Si, you are getting like me, far too lazy.... Pull out a box, lift the lid, put the lid back on, put it back in the stash. That covers two items, what to choose and the days exercise...:tears-of-joy:
You forgot the first stages that include, work my arse off to make some faceless director even richer, rub head and swear from having my wages messed up for the umpteenth time, tell the wages woman to pop it where the sun don’t shine. Agree to work extra hours, only to find out the manager has skived off on a jolly most of week and not arranged any labour for the machinery I’ve been repairing, repeat same sort of BS each day….
Have a couple of beers on Friday night, pick something off eBay, wait for postie to drop off. Lift lid of box, put lid back on, add box to overflowing stash. :smiling5:

Not been able to get anywhere near the bench during the week but the weekend has arrived and managed to spend a bit of time last night and first thing today.
Work is well under way with paint and I’m getting there but more masking and touching up require.

Here is how it looks so far…..IMG_1974.jpegIMG_1973.jpegIMG_1972.jpeg

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Si,
You have my sympathies, we must have worked for the same boss at some time.. Mine when asked for a pay rise offered 10p per hour and then went out and bought for cash a brand new Merc.
Wow! that paintwork on the truck really is amazing. I know how hard it is to do this particular paint scheme, having only managed to complete it once out of three tries on three models, the other two finished up in plain sand colour...
I have seriously curtailed my 'shopping' down to now it is essentials only - wonder how long that will last....
Keep up the good work - great as always
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Si I like the load in the rear , looks like sand ;)
Things still the same at work by the sounds of things :sad:
Cheer up mate, nearly time to get in the garden !

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Si,
You have my sympathies, we must have worked for the same boss at some time.. Mine when asked for a pay rise offered 10p per hour and then went out and bought for cash a brand new Merc.
Wow! that paintwork on the truck really is amazing. I know how hard it is to do this particular paint scheme, having only managed to complete it once out of three tries on three models, the other two finished up in plain sand colour...
I have seriously curtailed my 'shopping' down to now it is essentials only - wonder how long that will last....
Keep up the good work - great as always
Mike.
As to the shopping bit Mike....think we always manage to make a reasonable argument excuse to sling more tools, paints and models….it keeps me off the streets :smiling4:

Si I like the load in the rear , looks like sand ;)
Things still the same at work by the sounds of things :sad:
Cheer up mate, nearly time to get in the garden !
Suppose it could be sand…..it’s a desert vehicle :thinking::smiling5:

I was only thinking earlier about the idea of getting back into the garden! Time to set up the indoor bench for me propagators :thinking:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Scheme now added. I followed the design given by Airfix but didn’t have any of the humbrol colours suggested in the instructions so matched with tamiya alternatives or mixes.

Plenty of careful masking but wasn’t so bad as only really on the cab and not much else.
I forgot to take a picture of the rear as there is some on there :flushed:

IMG_1982.jpegIMG_1980.jpegIMG_1981.jpeg

Next up will be gloss coat and decals.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very clean lines Si, and subtle colours, nice .:thumb2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Super smooth Si this one's going places ,you must be well chuffed ,I dont drink hardly but can fully sympathise with the ebay grabs check contents add to stash syndrome in fact look out for my next project because I'm blaming you. Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Very nicely painted, it’s not an easy scheme to do, let alone mask. The scheme seems to match fairly well with the official one (there was no specific drawing for this vehicle type, just a generic “lorry” scheme), but IMHO it looks like the two light colours are reversed. However, what I think is going on is that the silver grey (the light greenish colour) is too light, making it paler than the Portland stone (the light sand). Not that most people are going to know :smiling3:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Stickers are on.
I stupidly changed how I wet my decals and paid the price as they fought me all the way. Numbers on the hood broke apart folded over, crinkled etc etc.

Normally I place them on a small sheet of acrylic, drop of clean cold water on top and away you go.
But I noticed on the instructions it said warm water.
So bit of tepid water in a milk bottle cap and in they go, just enough to cover…. when I went to fish them out, I see the stars have curled up on themselves as have numbers :surprised:

Absolute pig uncurling and getting into place, tore the hood numbers and there was a fair bit of swearing.
i shan’t be using warm water again and in hindsight May of been in too long…..every days a school day.

IMG_2007.jpegIMG_2006.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s interesting Si. Never had any issues with the decals in the sister kit. I’ve found current Airfix decals to be among the best out there. Always used cold water though, float them on the top, and only wetted one at a time in a drop of water on my bench. To be honest, I wouldn’t think a little volume of water like that would stay warm long?

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
That seems an odd placement for the corps/divisional sign on the back, being painted OVER one of the reflectors on the tailgate
Also, the AoS marking (26 on red/green for RASC) are supposed to be on the same side front and back, both offside or near side, though there is an enormous variety of placement, just going by photos. And I've yet to see any kit give the changeable / reversible small panels they're supposed to be on!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Really great looking paint job. Very neatly masked. Decals look good despite your issues.
I soak a small piece of blotting paper with cold water and lay the decal on it, face up. It softens the glue and releases the decal without getting the surface of the decal wet or it curling up. It's easy to slide the decal off the backing paper and into place.