SimonT - 1/35 Tamiya Sdkfz.223

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Simon
All coming together and up to your usual standard. How do you bend the aluminium tube without it just kinking?
Jim
Morning Jim.
I expect some strange power is employed while chanting to the metal gods !

Excuse me Simon , I got excited at the mention of pewter, nearly as good as mentioning fire !

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Jim - there is some slight kinking if you look closely. I bent it using round nose pliers, very slowly levering it as well as rolling it between the jaws. Bit hard to describe really - trying to use the jaws a bit like a pipe bender machine

John - hopefully fire will not be involved, but it had to have some pewter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
I seem to remember asking somewhere about bending tube before :rolling: Do you think you could do like plumbers do and fill the centre? Maybe a length of wire pushed inside. Mind you if it was too tight a fit or the bend was too sharp you'd perhaps never get it out :tongue-out3:

I expect some strange power is employed while chanting to the metal gods !
I thought something along those lines too!!

Jim

• Haha
Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Jim - K&N do a set of bending springs but I have not had any success with them. Might be ok if you want a bend in the middle of a long length but not a short piece. Have tried wire down centre but then you are stuck with wire inside as there is no way it will pull out. The wire has to be pretty much the same as the bore otherwise it will not hold the tube walls and you will still get a kink

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Have you tried filling with solder, making the bend, then melting the solder out again? It works for brass tubing, but may be difficult to fill aluminium tubing?

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Tim - how on earth do you fill a pipe with solder?

Karl - don't think I would get much sand down it, hole is only about 1mm

223-033_2020-7-20.jpg
glue cleaned up on the etch roof

223-032_2020-7-20.jpg
223-034_2020-7-20.jpg
cable added to aerial frame

guards added around semaphore turn indicators - the attachment points are rubbish and will require filler

223-036_2020-7-20.jpg
window covers modified so that they are in the open position

223-035_2020-7-20.jpg
turret assembled after filling the hole where the mg is meant to be rather inaccurately clipped on

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi simon
you use a solder pot at one end, warm the pipe and then fit one of these
www.amazon.co.uk/Solder-Sucker-Desoldering-Desolder-Remover/dp/B07JZF2MKD/ref=sr_1_22?adgrpid=54968804804&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwgdX4BRB_EiwAg8O8HXYiyye1hpYiF_WLGHa_UWvp5MWOYb0eHEdh9VUsHV6dtnRa4EqLwhoC-S4QAvD_BwE&hvadid=259110253177&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006578&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=10330026042169340912&hvtargid=kwd-295762056646&hydadcr=28148_1752695&keywords=solder+sucker&qid=1595234202&sr=8-22&
at the other. The suction (it’s a Spring loaded single hand operated tool) will pull the liquid solder into the pipe. There is obviously a minimum size tube that can be accommodated, and it works best with low melt solder.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Totally missed this one Mr T. Had a very enjoyable read through. These old Tammy kits are ideal for kitbashing. Liking what you have done so far. Keep it comin my friend

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The upgrades are looking good Simon, impressed with the exhausts, they look much better than plastic kit items.:thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Arg still asleep then Simon, I'll come back first thing tomorrow .:smiling2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jakko/John - I suspected that Tim had something more fiendish in mind....

....and indeed he did....

Tim - didn't even know what a solder pot was. I had to look that up. I do own a desoldering suction tool though. Bit more trouble, and cost than I want to go to though thanks. Think I will stick with using the round nose pliers considering how infrequently I need to bend tubing

Steve - it's been festering away in the background. All the parts clean up was done off site in between work on other things. I do like the 222/223 even though the Tamiya kit is rather outdated straight out the box. Hopefully it will be passable in the end
I really should get one of the Hobbyboss versions done - should be much better

Graeme - thanks. Herman must have ticked the stainless sports exhaust option :smiling3: At least they are the right shape now

John - morning. Update waiting for you below:

223-037_2020-7-21.jpg
both rear mudguard boxes added c/w their etch details - numberplate back board, piano hinge on the side and the two part latch

223-038_2020-7-21.jpg
the chassis armour plate added at the front - this was sanded down to a better thickness

223-039_2020-7-21.jpg
turret mesh hatches added

I went with the Eduard mesh and kit frames then sanded down the frames to half thickness

The kit is the new release and comes with a set of steel mesh - no mention of it at all in the instructions - but I preferred the Eduard mesh

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming on nicely Simon. I never had an electric solder pot, by the way, I just used to use a stainless steel spoon placed on the Aga hot plate.....the hard bit was the desoldering pump. 145 solder works best.......

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The bare minimum additions looking good Simon. The antenna and exhaust are so much better with your touch.

Cheers,
Richard.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
223-040_2020-7-23.jpg223-041_2020-7-23.jpg223-042_2020-7-23.jpg
added the door mounted storage boxes and etch mods

found that Eduard have transposed the numbers for the piano hinges on these boxes and the ones on the rear mudguards

as a result I had to trim down the ones for these door boxes as I had already used the shorter ones on the rear boxes

luckily the hinges on the rear boxes can not really be seen

also added the bracket on the side of the large bin and what appears to be a bump stop to prevent the door smashing the lower bin

I also washed the turret in my mug of tea :smiling4:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Simon, as always, amazed to see which part next you can find a way to improve--------- and successfully

Thought not sure about this washing of parts in tea, is this recommended, because I found that applying the same to the keyboard made it worse :nerd:

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I always give the same advice when I hear about mishaps with mugs of tea at the bench, drink beer from the bottle instead........