SimonT - 1/35th Tamiya T62 (well worn)

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thank you one and all

The embedded armature wire helped a lot as it gave me something to pull on but I shall try some mould release as well next time

t62-062_2020-4-10.jpg
turret in place with a mock up of the barrel

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Great stuff, Simon, quite inspiring ! I love the Idea of casting plinths- it's a good way of not wasting excess resin( if you can pour it all before it goes off!) I suppose it could be built up over successive pours as well?

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Neil,
they can be poured all in one go and once you know how much resin is needed there isn’t much waste

They can be built up as well - I have just poured another turret and used the small amount that was left to start another plinth

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
F7FEE641-6E34-4940-99A6-28D53AC5C51F.jpeg6A71A93D-DB06-4870-8376-976B90733AF1.jpeg
morning all,
The turret ring side cheeks are way too shallow so I have added a couple of strips to them and clamped in place with pegs

They will then need some work with the filler to put the curves back

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I was looking at that photo and wondering what it was that you were clamping there :smiling3: Not pulling any punches with this model …

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Those are great photos Simon, have you upgraded ?

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
t62-063_2020-4-13.jpg
the cheek parts were doubled in depth by adding strip and filler to the underside of them

this extra material was then sanded back to refine the shape to more closely match the reference photos

once offered up to the hull it became clear that the basic shape of the top of the kit part was also incorrect, with a definite droop towards the outer edges rather than being flush with the top of the hull

I decided the best way to tackle this was to mount them on the hull then pack out the bottom edge

this pivoted the cheek parts such that they then lined up with the hull top

the whole thing was then blathered in Squadron green to fill all the gaps and change the profile of the edges

once this sets, which may take a while for such a large amount, it will be all sanded back to the required shape

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I'm sure you are Heinrich Dorfmann in disguise :smiling2: :smiling5:

Outstanding work with the green stuff

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
:smiling5:
on my last tube of the good stuff - that new stuff just doesn't seem anywhere near as good
very sloppy and oozes out the tube as soon as cap removed :disappointed2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon I'm coming to the conclusion that Squadron Green fumes must have effected you over the years, thus this cause of extreme scratchery also the ingestion of certain potions.
Young Jones is not far behind either !

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
Lovely cheeks. Ladies pay a fortune in Harley Street to have their cheeks done - you may have missed your vocation :tongue-out3:
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
:smiling5:
on my last tube of the good stuff - that new stuff just doesn't seem anywhere near as good
very sloppy and oozes out the tube as soon as cap removed :disappointed2:
Simon I found the same so I gave the tube a gentle massage to mix it up then stood the tube on its cap for a few days it is no pretty much but not quite as the old recipe.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Could be John :tongue-out3:

They might not like the green look though Jim

Scottie - I have massaged the tube to try mix the contents but not the standing part so will give it a try, ta

t62-064_2020-4-14.jpg
ground out the turret figure bins, added 3No. new pins around the left aperture and filled the air bubbles - just needs a little tidying