SimonT - 1/35th Tamiya T62 (well worn)

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Rubber pouring took place last night but I am not holding out for too much hope of success

Seems my casting rubber has reached the end of its shelf life :sad-face:

The open tub wasn't too bad but definitely wasn't as runny as it used to be

Unfortunately there wasn't quite enough left to fill the mould so opened my new tub, which has been sat here a few years, only to find it the consistency of a half set jelly

t62-051_2020-4-4.jpg
I needed so much rubber that I ended up cutting the top off the tub, poured the catalyst and in used it as a mixing bowl

t62-053_2020-4-4.jpg
pouring under way

the open tub managed to cover the master apart from about 10mm

since I needed to fill the mould I didn't really have a choice so had to use some of the jelly from the 'new' tub

it mixed up ok - just wasn't the right consistency to flow very well

luckily the top 10mm of the master doesn't have any complicated details

t62-052_2020-4-4.jpg
mould is full anyway - remains to be seen if it will be a success or spectacular failure

Had a look at Sylmasta - the rubber and resin hasn't got any cheaper since I last purchased :surprised:
will be £65 for a new set!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Fingers crossed for a result Mr T

It does look like fun:smiling4:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Si - yes, it is fun

Forgot to mention that I also managed to do the mould for the fuel tank at the same time

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Fantastic dark art work Mr T. Glad you are having fun. Fingers crossed for a successful outcome. :thumb2: :cool:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lets hope it all turns out ok.Thats trouble with RTV.I had a Sylmasta lot given to me by a friend and it was like thick custard.As i produce resin busts i get a couple of blokes to help me.I havent facilities to mouldor cast.Im still hoping to do a 62 sometime.Just fetched me Verlinden volume 2 out of cupboard!!.
Fingers Crossed Simon.

Richard.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Here’s Steve - you need to try it sometime

Richard - really annoying that my unopened tub has gone off. I must dig my Verlinden books out as well - not looked at them for years

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
This was my last bit of casting Mike for a part the carpet monster got

IMG_0127.JPGIMG_0129.JPG

It would have been easier to buy another kit and take the part from that :smiling5:

Apologies for hijaking your blog Mr T. Will remove if need be. :tongue-out3:

• Sad
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Don't know what the shelf life of rubber is but I suppose without a BB date a lot will depend on how long it had been held in stock before you bought it. Hopefully it will set and take the detail.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Here’s Steve??? That was meant to say cheers :smiling2: Blooming predictive text thingy

No need to remove - that would be an ideal part for copying. Looking at your castings there are a few things that should have been done to prepare it and make the casting better

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I have asked Sylmasta the question and will let you know if I get an answer - I presume there will be an average life expectancy

I‘ve ordered some new resin and rubber - found they now do an XL kit that includes the full size resin and rubber plus mixing cups and sticks and some other bits at slightly less than the cost of buying just resin and rubber separately

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Simon
Just caught up with this thread. Looks like you’re having a lot of fun making this old motorised kit accurate.
Great skills
Cheers
Paul

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
I’m rather intrigued to see if the mould rubber has worked ok- it’s like a modelling soap opera! :nerd:

• Haha

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I must dig my Verlinden books out as well - not looked at them for years
I did that a few months ago, and it’s great nostalgia :smiling3: Then I decided to look into obtaining the volumes I don’t have, but if I can find them at all, it’s for much more than I’d be willing to pay :sad:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I did that a few months ago, and it’s great nostalgia :smiling3: Then I decided to look into obtaining the volumes I don’t have, but if I can find them at all, it’s for much more than I’d be willing to pay :sad:
Hi Jakko.What volumes of the Verlinden way do you need?
Richard

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning folks - mixed news on the moulding front

the fuel tank master released from the mould without problem and looks like it will cast ok

the rubber for the turret has cured and appears to be ok

it appears though that I pushed the depth of the cupola wells too far - something i did wonder about when pouring the rubber but by then it was a little late of course

due to them being a bit deep i can not get them to release from the turret master so currently the master is stuck inside a large blue rubber block - what little I can see indicates that it has moulded well though :thinking:

UPDATE
well, using a bit more brute force and a pair of pliers I have finally managed to remove the master from the rubber block

slight damage to the master turret but fixable if I need to make another mould

I think I shall have to reduce the depth of the figure bins before trying a casting by slicing some of the rubber off the mould

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Simon.
Very late to this sorry to say. Scratchery in the extreme. Loved the green cake look, followed by the orange going off look. :smiling2:.Just about everything in this build !
Seems to be your most extreme build yet , brilliance at its best .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning John,

hope you are well

simple stuff with this one - I think the Tammy Panther A was much more involved as it is so inaccurate