SimonT - Tamiya 1:35 Sturmmorser Tiger (AAGB)

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Silly boy - I haven’t purchased 35 of them! You have been putting your own punctuation in there when you read my post :rolling: :smiling2:

John - don’t know, haven’t investigated the etch yet

Peter - do you have one?

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Exactly Jakko - there is no comma or full stop there. That is only half the sentence. I know Steve did it for comic effect and appreciate that

Steve - :smiling5: Here goes then

the 72nd one is complete rubbish.

It says on the instruction sheet that it is a limited production run kit which just seems to give them an excuse for producing expensive crap!

£18 gets you:

thick roof of the superstructure that is concave - it may be possible to push it back out with the help of boiling water but I suspect it will be tricky to get it evenly flat. Replacement may be the only option

link and length tracks made from old style non-glueable vinyl so pretty pointless

engine deck is hopeless - must be about the worst ever attempt at a Tiger engine deck. Even the vintage Airfix 1/76 is better

rear plate fitted with Feifel air cleaners

none of the large conical rivets anywhere

gun barrel - oh dear

wheels may be passable but don't look like they will fit the extremely short fat stub axles

generally lacking in details

:sad-face:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Exactly Jakko - there is no comma or full stop there. That is only half the sentence.
If you read the whole sentence, it still says that you bought <items> for the 35th one :smiling3: The comma is optional, and though it would clarify the sentence, it doesn’t change the meaning :smiling3:

the 72nd one is complete rubbish.
I’ve got the Dragon one with a metal hull and superstructure. Though I didn’t check its detail (I built it as a wargames model, and my standards for that are a lot lower than for a display model), it seems to suffer from far fewer problems than the one you’ve got.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Regarding continued reference to 'the 35th one', can I respectfully remind certain people that this is a forum for scale model making.

It is not a forum for lessons in grammar, spelling, phonetic correctness, sentence construction, abbreviations, punctuation or anything to do with the word presentation of our most colourful language.
So can we keep to discussing elements of the build please?

Sorry to be so abrupt and pedantic, but I want to read about the model, not errors in the written word.

I feel better for that.....Mod. hat back in the cupboard.

Yours
Joe Stalin

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
"rear plate fitted with Feifel air cleaners" - Really?? Thats shocking. That must rate as the worst kit ever. Sorry to hear that Mr T. I hope it wont distract from the other build

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Going to use it to prop up the stash Steve - about all that it is fit for

John - no, the etch does not provide rifling for the barrel

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
stig-010_2019-10-20.jpg
a bit more progress on this last night

ammo racks and loading table assembled and installed - there is an internal etch set available, however, for what little can be seen through the roof hatch the kit parts should suffice

at the back end I have installed the basic parts of the engine from the maintenance set - instructions have you stick this to the underside of the engine deck but I decided to mount it in the hull as I think it will be better for painting

it is sat on some bits of square tube to get it to the correct height

stig-012_2019-10-20.jpg
the engine deck is glued to the superstructure so that I could get a good joint between the two parts

stig-011_2019-10-20.jpg
and with removable top in place - the idea is to leave it removable until insides are painted

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Not hanging around with this build Simon. How are the wheels and tracks coming along?

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Wheels are all cleaned up but not assembled

Tracks - hmm, still thinking what to do with them. Currently have three links modified but that leaves rather a lot to do

Been adding some extra bits to the engine bay this morning

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very nice Mr. T, she's looking the Tiggy's whisker! Rick H.

• Love
Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Top work Simon. Methinks if in the ditch you only need to detail clean roadside tracks. PaulE

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Rick - thanks

Andy - cheers. Tamiya provide the basics it just needs a few extras to match reference pictures

Steve - ta. I am looking forward to slapping some paint on

Jim - thanks

Paul - thanks. Good idea but this one is only ending up in the ditch if it all goes horribly wrong. The braille scale version was going to be ditched but is so bad it will never get built - total waste of money

A small amount of further progress......

stig-017_2019-10-22.jpg
I carefully sawed the right side armoured fuel filler cap access plug off the engine deck then drilled out the hole and tapped it to put the thread inside

needs a little tidying but you can get the idea

stig-016_2019-10-22.jpg
for the armoured plug I have used a die to add the thread to some plastic rod - a short length will be cut off and joined to the top which was previously sawn off the hull

I will add a basic fuel tank inside the hull - the idea is that I can then have someone pumping fuel into the tank from a 200litre drum

stig-015_2019-10-22.jpg
added the etch grille to the other side - the circles with recessed crosses are, on the left the radiator filler cover plug and on the right the fuel tank cover plug

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Still posting at silly o'clock I see. Quite fiddly work getting a fuel filler to show being filled - looks good and will look the part I'm sure.
Jim

• Haha
Reactions: JR