SLA /MSLA 3D printing with an Elegoo Mars Ultra - with a model making inclination

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gary,
it's absorbing isn't it - I found that, with FDM printing - I tended to spend far more time on it, than I intended! All the tech manuals & 'how to videos' are no substitute for handling the first successful print! I'm in the process of pushing my printer to its' limit - I'm still one handed at the moment, so I can't get any real benchtime, so the printer is a good alternative....................
Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Gary, as always intresting reading, just a thought regarding UV lamps/torches ,a few Christmases ago my daughter wanted this certain set of nail varnishes only to find they wouldn't dry turned out they hardened under UV light ,so had to purchase a lamp you put your fingers in to cure the varnish ,im sure that this wasn't that expensive on flea Bay (else she'd still be sat there now waiting for it to dry) just wondered if it was viable/possible to butcher one to your needs ,

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Gary,
it's absorbing isn't it - I found that, with FDM printing - I tended to spend far more time on it, than I intended! All the tech manuals & 'how to videos' are no substitute for handling the first successful print! I'm in the process of pushing my printer to its' limit - I'm still one handed at the moment, so I can't get any real benchtime, so the printer is a good alternative....................
Dave

Absorbing is one word for it, exasperating, annoying and then feeling happy when it works.
The research helped me start from a hopefully better place, and yes, hands on is definitely the only way to do it, and anyone starting needs to understand that to begin with, even if all goes well, you will use/waste a lot more resin/filament than you ever expected.
The smaller the item printed the greater percentage of material used to print will also need to be washed off the final item, even leaving overnight to drip back into the vat , there is still a layer of liquid resin attached to the prints.

Hi Gary, as always intresting reading, just a thought regarding UV lamps/torches ,a few Christmases ago my daughter wanted this certain set of nail varnishes only to find they wouldn't dry turned out they hardened under UV light ,so had to purchase a lamp you put your fingers in to cure the varnish ,im sure that this wasn't that expensive on flea Bay (else she'd still be sat there now waiting for it to dry) just wondered if it was viable/possible to butcher one to your needs ,
i have seen many use these nail varnish light units and some using UV floodlight units, but my wash n cure can do the big things , and the LED and Battery Clip worked well yesterday doing the internal curing of the ''v for vendetta'' bust.
All I need to remember is that any drain hole has to be at least 5mm in diameter of the led won't fit inside.
I am sure that if I am still doing this in a years time things will have been adjusted in the work area

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Absorbing is one word for it, exasperating, annoying and then feeling happy when it works.
The research helped me start from a hopefully better place, and yes, hands on is definitely the only way to do it, and anyone starting needs to understand that to begin with, even if all goes well, you will use/waste a lot more resin/filament than you ever expected.
The smaller the item printed the greater percentage of material used to print will also need to be washed off the final item, even leaving overnight to drip back into the vat , there is still a layer of liquid resin attached to the prints.

i have seen many use these nail varnish light units and some using UV floodlight units, but my wash n cure can do the big things , and the LED and Battery Clip worked well yesterday doing the internal curing of the ''v for vendetta'' bust.
All I need to remember is that any drain hole has to be at least 5mm in diameter of the led won't fit inside.
I am sure that if I am still doing this in a years time things will have been adjusted in the work area
I wonder how many people buy the gear & expect to get perfect results out of the box?
It's not something to attempt unless you're willing to spend time, tinkering & tweaking settings. sometimes with no rewards! My wastage at the beginning was well over 50%, but now it's low - I know what's impossible to FDM print & I've learnt the foibles of my printer - and the slicer!
Dave

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I wonder how many people buy the gear & expect to get perfect results out of the box?
It's not something to attempt unless you're willing to spend time, tinkering & tweaking settings. sometimes with no rewards! My wastage at the beginning was well over 50%, but now it's low - I know what's impossible to FDM print & I've learnt the foibles of my printer - and the slicer!
Dave
I am about to mess with Cura to see what its support options are, as I have a lot of flat plates to print and rethinking how I am going to do it.
Cura allegedly allows painting an area for supports to be attached to

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I am about to mess with Cura to see what its support options are, as I have a lot of flat plates to print and rethinking how I am going to do it.
Cura allegedly allows painting an area for supports to be attached to
I use PrusaSlicer 2.7.0, and that also allows you to 'paint' supports, I've used it to prop up unsupported overhangs, I had to experiment a bit, before I got it to work............
Dave

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Was having real problems getting a print off the plate this morning, It finished printing last night at 23:00 so left it to drip excess resin back into tank , while I slept.
Took the plate off and couldn't budge the print, so put the print and plate into wash n cure ( 75% of the plate below the level of cleaner, vertically, ran it for 4 mins, turned it around reran it.
Took it out, still couldn't budge it.
Thinking laterally, if I use hot water to soften the connection points on the model and supports, what happens if I warm up the plate too in hot water ..... shazam, off came the print and supports.
Then removed supports from the model and 5 minutes curing it.

Last edited:

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I spent over an hour this morning on an Anydesk and WhatsApp conference call with the Voxeldance Tango support team in China.
Highlighted a problem that initially looked like it was localised to me, only for them to realise it affects the newest software version and wifi printing.
Will be having another call when they work out a fix and we will test it outside their network and see if it works, and it will be updated for all users.

Sometimes it is worth complaining that something isn't doing 100% of the claimed abilities.

Poor guys will be working overnight on the problem, it was after 17:00 their time when the call ended.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Just had a read through your blog and all the replies, very interesting, both informative and logical.
Question - Do I really need a 3D printer??? Answer - not yet, Logic - I do not have enough items/parts I need printing so the cost at the moment would be a waste.
Solution - download one of the many CAD programs and use the tutorials, get the experience first and go from there.
As Dave Ward stated - how many people have jumped in at the deep end and now have an extra piece of furniture as a display item like a vase....
Will keep watching and reading...
Mike.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Just had a read through your blog and all the replies, very interesting, both informative and logical.
Question - Do I really need a 3D printer??? Answer - not yet, Logic - I do not have enough items/parts I need printing so the cost at the moment would be a waste.
Solution - download one of the many CAD programs and use the tutorials, get the experience first and go from there.
As Dave Ward stated - how many people have jumped in at the deep end and now have an extra piece of furniture as a display item like a vase....
Mike.
Mike
I personally find the process of creating a digital model and being able to print it just as satisfying as scratchbuilding, especially if I need more than one of the same thing.
And it's amazing what you think of to print once you've started- who would have thought of printing hobnailed boot soles for French fusiliers? For them I've made Shakos, muskets (I downloaded that...), pockets, shoulder tabs and cuff details, random water-bottles and canteens and I've just started on hands (also downloaded for free) and all of them multiples, saving me an age of time scratchbuilding.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Neil,
Fully agree that once you start it becomes a usefull tool, but to be honest I cannot think of one thing I need, but I am sure they are staring me in the face. I will of course keep up with the blog(s), gain a bit of CAD experience and then I will be swimming in resin. But I will be a convert pretty soon...

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mike.
Mike,
Getting to know a CAD program can be very time consuming - I went on several courses at IBM to learn CATIA, it took about 3-4 years before I considered myself proficient! - of course that included things like stress analysis & animation, hardly relevant to 3D printing. I learnt other packages, like IDEAS & Autodesk Inventor, once you have the 3D mindset it's a lot easier. Having said that some people cannot get their head around CAD, I was lucky, I picked the basics up fairly quickly - of course, being paid to learn something is a wonderful inncentive, especially as your wage grade rose as you passed various courses!
Apart from modelling stuff, I've printed sink plugs, door wedges..................
3D printing has been around for a few years, but only in the last 4-5 years has it entered the home hobbyist arena - still comparatively early days. I'd seen it ( and used it ) in commercial use & decided at the beginning of the year to give it a go
Dave

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Mike
I personally find the process of creating a digital model and being able to print it just as satisfying as scratchbuilding, especially if I need more than one of the same thing.
And it's amazing what you think of to print once you've started- who would have thought of printing hobnailed boot soles for French fusiliers? For them I've made Shakos, muskets (I downloaded that...), pockets, shoulder tabs and cuff details, random water-bottles and canteens and I've just started on hands (also downloaded for free) and all of them multiples, saving me an age of time scratchbuilding.
I have done multiple refinements on the truck body mockup I was working on, as the model when rendered triggers thoughts on how to improve the model / simplify for printing.

Silly little tweaks that will make major differences

Also messing with microsofts own 3d Builder , I use the viewer a lot , but the builder is a great simple shape construction program, no frills , but does what it does well

1701429958711.png

Mike.

Personal opinion based on buying this printer.

1. hold off on buying the latest version for a few months, In retrospect with the niggles so far I would have been better off buying the Mars 4 pro, over the Mars 4 Ultra, as the wifi on Ultra is let down by the slicing software interactions with it at present.
The Mars 4 Pro has same resolution, no wifi, plastic body not metal base , but is £50 approx cheaper = 2 1/2 bottles of resin, and it uses the older fep/nfep which though shorter lifespan than the new ACF , has less niggles over timing and affecting some surface details
2. some of the things I wanted to print are just too small and delicate when printed ( at present ) to be easy to work with.
3. Moving to clear resin which prints faster may be a major upgrade.

For dorama pieces, the FDM printers are probably a better idea, a much larger print area, and no chemicals to deal with.

Do I regret buying it - no.
It has given me my mojo back, and as soon as the opticians make my new prescription up ( I am using my long distance glasses to use a computer screen @ less than a metre and everything beyond 2 metres starts to blur ) I may be able to see well enough to get back to some modelling, using the printer to make mods, and to make other things too.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I find the whole 3D printing thing really intriguing and it probably is the future of the hobby. What you guys are doing is fascinating and mind boggling.

There's a 'but' for me. I'm a realist!! I'll be opening boxes with complete, (hopefully), kits for my time left on this planet.

Reasons; age, expense, time!

Age - no longer a young chicken.
Expense - speaks for itself. I'm kinda one of those buy cheap to learn on, then, dive in off the high board and get the Rolls Royce printer emptying the family coffers!! Then get bored because I hit the 'too difficult' stage.
Time - Well, there's time to learn basics and beyond, testing, re-learning. Back to age again, the grey cells don't absorb data like it used to so the time is a big factor. (Having to relearn what I forgot I did last week). Like I said, I'm a realist - I know me!!

All that said. I will continue to read how you guys are progressing with interest and hopefully your skills and knowledge will advance to the point when the prices will drop and the up and coming modellers will benefit from all before them.

It's a bit Star Trek-ish!! Boldly going and all that.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
This may interest some of you.
A 'FREE' 3d model of a Gundam Character is being released in parts over the festive season.
Video of construction and link to the first set of files at the following link

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I just tried my own (lazy) way to 3D printing: outsourcing. :smiling4:
There's a jeweler in a nearby village who's decided to update his production process by introducing 3D printing. This allows him to prepare a detailed CAD model, get the approval from the customer, print it in 1:1, get again the approval from the customer then print the final resin prototype which will be used to create the mould for the gold/silver/metal casting.
I asked him if he could print some test Panther tracks elements from .stl files I downloaded for free from the net some months ago (what the h**k was that www address is now the question hammering in my head!:rolling::upside:) and he was happy to give it a try.

This is the result (3 assembled links on the left, a pin still to be cleaned and a pin still to be freed from its printing support on the right).20231221_102842r.JPG

A single piece compared to a Friulmodel metal one (on the left)
20231221_102735r.JPG

A comparison with Takom's link and length Panther tracks
20231221_103300r.JPG

I think the 3D printed ones are rather good. The pinholes need a bit of cleaning but nothing really difficult.
He told me that a complete set of about 200 links and pins are in the same cost range of those I can find ready made from renown brands.
The difference is that I would give my money to a local artisan ...
Finally, for this test printing the gentleman didn't charge me a penny...:money-face::thumb2: