Something completely different....an airliner.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's right,you heard right!

My next victim will be the ancient Monogram 1:48 scale DC-3 in the livery of Eastern Airlines. I've had the kit for several years since being given it as a gift and have never really fancied it before. It's not quite my usual WW2 fare and it definitely doesn't sport any swastikas :smiling3:

Here is the rather good box art.

Opening the box revealed some nice looking sprues in an alarmingly hard and brittle looking grey plastic. We'll see how that goes later!

Some of the detail is a bit clunky,just look at the passenger seats,but this will be OOB and be what it is.

Also revealed were some rather aged and yellowed decals. These have had a couple of days in what passes for sunlight here in Birmingham and will be treated with Liquid Decal Film before use. I reckon there's about a 50/50 chance that they will turn out to be unuseable but I live in hope.

For some reason there were no instructions in the box which would have been a problem but for a nice fellow called Dave Clark who sent me an electronic copy all the way from Australia,good on you Dave and thanks again.

We'll be underway soon,sandwiched in amongst the test cricket and the Olympics. Let the fun begin!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Steve, I am in shock. Looks a very basic kit but I am sure you will get a great result out of it.

Ian M

P

Polux

Hi steve!!

I always think your WWII planes are great, and that one, I'm sure will be another of yours great builds!!!

I'm with Ian, looks so basic!!!

All the best!!

Polux

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I love it steve, it looks like a nice old monogram kit to me. I know their c47 was received very well when it first came out in the 80's , i dont know if this is an earlier ,different mould or a quick rehash of the c47 one. Either way im sure youll make a great looking dc3 out of it , and the decals look ok , I had a bit of experience with old monogram decals with the FW 190 group build and they were fine . This airliner bug must be in the air , i won a revell 1/144 airbus a380 in emirates colours on e-bay earlier this week!! cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think it may be a version of the 1975 release....not sure though.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I don't envy your paint job if those decals don't work! :lol

Gern

First Name
Dave
I've made the military C47 boxing of this kit.And I really enjoyed building it.It has the usual Monogram traits of good detail,accuracy and bad fit. So you will need some filler Steve,but should end up with a nice looking model.

D

delmonteman

Sorry, what's the theory behind leaving the decals in the sun?

Sent using my fat thumbs and Tapatalk.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Sorry, what's the theory behind leaving the decals in the sun?
They were very yellowed having been in the box for years. Leaving them in sunlight helps to whiten them again. You can see that they are not perfect but the white is whiter than it was.

Cheers

Steve

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Interesting departure Steve, odd that they put all the passenger seats in but not the cockpit seats.

Let us know how you get on with this old lady.

Tony.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Tony, There are pilot seats,instrument panel and very crude control yokes included. All a bit clunky I'm afraid. I didn't photograph all the sprues originally.

I have made a start,getting some white primer on the interior bits,not much to show though.

I've found quite a few pictures of DC-3 interiors online (my only reference!) and will pick a good looking one. In this one off case I will not be my usual slave to historical accuracy. I neither know nor care how Eastern Airlines finished their interiors. I might do mine in the style of Stella McCartney or Vivienne Westwood,though it may end up a bit more abstract..... Jackson Pollock maybe :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hang on, what going off here then? 'Steve' and 'not German' in the same sentence? Can't catch my breath, got to have a sit down now. Looking forward to this one Steve mate.

Have fun, John

D

delmonteman

\ said:
They were very yellowed having been in the box for years. Leaving them in sunlight helps to whiten them again. You can see that they are not perfect but the white is whiter than it was.Cheers

Steve
Didn't know that. Cheers.

Sent using my fat thumbs and Tapatalk.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I intend,at the moment,to do this predominantly in a polished aluminium finish. There will be an attempt of some sort at modulation via the base coat. I've no idea if it will work.

Of course I've got to build the thing first :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
"K-682". OY-BPB. could be a different one. OK its a C47a but I think it looks rather nice. I see it fly over the house every so often.

Ian M

PS I think that you can even get decals for it over here. let me know if you are interested.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This beauty?

I'd definitely be interested in this one if the decals can be found.

I think the kit is close enough to work. I'd need to have a good look.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've actually made a proper start now.

I've painted the interior in a completely fictional scheme,loosely based on various online images.

I've moved on to the wings. Now I know this is an old kit but this is ridiculous. This is the fit of the wing spar to the lower wing.

Better seen from the back.

I'm having a cup of tea and pondering what to do with this !

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've found some evidence of the vintage of this kit.

On the wing,where I'll have to sand it off is this mark

I think this means that the model I have is a 2001 re-release of the original 1978 version as far as the wings go.

On the centre section,fuselage insert,is this

Which I think means that the airliner version I'm building is of 1992 vintage.

Cheers

Steve