Something completely different....an airliner.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Good luck with those wing spars Steve I'm sure you'll sort them out, thank god models have improved over the year.

Vaughan

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yep, good luck from me too Steve...I'm sure you will overcome and beat the thing......Bearing in mind the shocking fit, who would want to infringe the copyright I wonder?!

Cheers,

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've resorted to packing the backside of the spar with CA/baking powder filler! It won't be visible.

Good question Ron,a very good question. Certain companies somewhat to the East of Birmingham have been known to copy a thing or two. Mercifully not this though.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Despite the various faults it can be made into a nice model.If you want a state of the art kit in this scale theres only the Trumpeter C47 and that costs £80.Personally,i'd rather build this one and try to improve it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Still looking for those decals. If I cant find them I am sure you could manage 99% with paint. I will see if I can find some profile photos if you like.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Despite the various faults it can be made into a nice model.
I agree. The fuselage went together quite nicely,no major drama,just a little tidying up to do on the fin fillet. The seam down the top is not as bad as it looks here. Any work reveals a darker plastic.

A quick dry fit of the wings doesn't seem too bad either.

It's such a simple kit that I'm hoping to get the main bits (wing and fuselage) joined up tomorrow when I'll post some more piccies.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Here you go Steve, I knew I had seen decals some where.

Douglas DC-3, DC-3 Vennerne

there is no picture I'm afraid, but the other decals they do are very good normally. Its a good shop by the way. (the webshop is only a fraction of the actual shop. and the lack of photos is a good way of getting you to visit the shop...)

If you mail him just write in English, he speaks fluently.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As promised.

The wing root join is not great!

Same both sides. I see plastic card,sprue,filler etc in my future.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
You love a challenge Steve.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
You love a challenge Steve. Vaughan
Well to be honest I do enjoy fixing these old kits but would rather not have to do it :smiling3:

Anyways I've got some card glued into the gaps which were far to big to fill with anything other than CA otherwise. The CA/powder filler is good but you have to be VERY careful in such a visible area. Card and liquid cement is much safer.

This needs a little more tidying up,followed by a swipe of filler and hopefully it will look okay.

At the back of my mind is the thought that I intend to have a metal finish on this one.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've primed the model but this has revealed that I hadn't made as good a job of the wing roots as I had thought. They are a work in progress.

What I hadn't anticipated (I don't know why) is just how big the bloody thing is.

Here's the whole of the basic assembly,the underside,sparing a view of the wing root remedies!

HUUUUGE ! That is a 30cm ruler.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Ummmm your going to need a big shelf for that one Steve. Airliners were never that small even at 1/48 scale.

Vaughan

First Name
Dave
It's certainly a large model.Mine sits on a shelf (large!) next to a JU52.Thats another big one in 1/48.

P

Polux

Nice work so far. Will be watching your progress with interest.

Cheers

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Highly polished finish will be going on this one so,as Messrs Jagger and Richards sang.

"I wanna see it painted black, painted black

Black as night, black as coal

I wanna see the sun, blotted out from the sky

I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black

Yeah"

In my case gloss black.

I've sprayed and masked the fabric control surfaces and de-iceing boots on the leading edges silver and matt black (actually very dark grey) respectively and started on the gloss black. So far I've got the top done and will wait and see how long this takes to dry before attempting the underside.

I never normally build two models at once but if this takes more than 12 hours to go off I might start :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Now that is sparkling Steve, nice one.......Keep in mind me, my fingers and bacon butties!!!

Cheers,

Ron

M

mobear

looking gorgeous mate,love it,and good job on the gap fill

mobear

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Now that is sparkling Steve, nice one.......Keep in mind me, my fingers and bacon butties!!!Cheers,

Ron
Hi Ron,it's not my bacon butties or Marmite fingers that cause the trouble,it's dust! I went to great lengths to clean the model and de-static it but I live and spray in the real world.

The only way to make this really flawless would be to spray in one of those high tec clean rooms but that's a bit outside my budget,the extension on the back of the house will have to do!

I've seen some amazing glossy finishes done by vehicle modellers and I bow before their skill and determination.

I'm afraid I'm not THAT bothered,it's just a model aeroplane :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve