spanner's 1/72 Airfix Starter Kit Spitfire.....'Reach for the Sky' (1956)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.
Sorry mate, the usherette has gone home - No customers...... I'll nip out to Ice**** and buy us both some lollies. ;)

The butchery begins.
Fuselage cut in half and elevators repositioned.
P1360248.JPG

Kitchen foil glued on and ready for some paint.
P1360249.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
It is very interesting Jim! But to me, Aloomiumiumy or what we call tin foil, usually means you put it in the oven @ 400° for 15 minutes.........Oh wait, that's a pizza, not a Spitfire..........Sorry Ron, got confused a bit...

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It is very interesting Jim! But to me, Aloomiumiumy or what we call tin foil, usually means you put it in the oven @ 400° for 15 minutes.........Oh wait, that's a pizza, not a Spitfire..........Sorry Ron, got confused a bit...

Prost
Allen
Time for your Meds Dude 1 !

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
In Bed! Now't debilitating I hope matey?

On we go.....

Decals done for now.

Bader's aircraft I.D. letters were D * B (Dog's Body was his call sign).

The kit luckily contained a couple of duhs, but no buhs, just two wuhs. So I altered a duh by cutting a bit out and added a bit of a wuh to what was left of the duh. This left me with an acceptable buh. I've stuck on a duh and a buh, but left off the remaining duh and buh until I have decided just how much damage to do to the airframe. I might even try and hand paint the duh and buh onto any rippled aloominum. Likewise I have left off the two roundels until later.

Both works numbers will probably be obliterated, so their no doubt lack of accuracy is of no importance, so can hopefully be dismissed from any rivet counters agenda. ;) ;)

The cockpit is now in place too.

View attachment 479388

View attachment 479389

View attachment 479390

Ready for some bending......

Cheers.
Ron

570 , knackered have a bloody chest infection , not good with my asthma .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry to read of your infection, 453. I hope today finds you on the mend.

Update.....
I've made inroads on what at first I thought was going to be a straight forward build, to what's turned out to be complicated and difficult project!

I painted the aloominum foil, then stuck the decals on with glue. Added the stringers and wires, then squished and bent things about.

Here's the progress.
P1360250.JPG

P1360251.JPG

P1360252.JPG

P1360254.JPG

P1360255.JPG

P1360256.JPG

Work still to do with the damaged area. I'll leave it all to dry for a while.

Time to tackle D.B. himself.....

Cheers and thanks for looking in folks.

Ron

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Ron, as always.

Had read Reach for the Sky in my teens but wasn't aware it was most likely friendly fire, so had a quick read up last night.....I see there is a very likely candidate too.

Yet another example of the things you learn on here.

Keep up the great work.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your support and encouragement during the build chaps. Much appreciated. :thumb2:

Paul. Chucker all lined up and flexing her muscles.

Andrew.
Steve (stona) kindly exchanged p.m.'s with me on aspects of the incident and the Spitfire pilot's baling out procedure. Thanks Steve.

As you have read and Steve wrote, there is a candidate. The British pilot concerned claimed he had shot down a 109.

He stated he watched it descend and saw the pilot eject safely. Surely in that time he would have identified his 'Victim' as a Spitfire?

Also, the Luftwaffe combat records state only one 109 was lost in that action and that was 100% confirmed as being shot down, and claimed by another Brit. pilot. Not the one involved in the Bader incident.

So, there you go.....

Thanks again for great comments boys.
Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks for all your support and encouragement during the build chaps. Much appreciated. :thumb2:

Paul. Chucker all lined up and flexing her muscles.

Andrew.
Steve (stona) kindly exchanged p.m.'s with me on aspects of the incident and the Spitfire pilot's baling out procedure. Thanks Steve.

As you have read and Steve wrote, there is a candidate. He claimed he had shot down a 109.

He stated he watched it descend and saw the pilot eject safely. Surely in that time he would have identified his 'Victim' as a Spitfire?

Also, the Luftwaffe combat records state only one 109 was lost in that action and that was 100% confirmed as being shot down, and claimed by another Brit. pilot. Not the one involved in the Bader incident.

So, there you go.....

Thanks again for great comments boys.
Cheers.
Ron
Looking very fine as always Ron. Believable damage :thumb2:

As to Bader’s final flight, Ive read that evidence as well. The clincher for me is that the friendly fire pilot describes the shot down pilot struggling to get out exactly as Bader himself described his own escape.
Possible not that easy to identify an aircraft in combat conditions though Ron…..I’ve just read a book on the Bomber campaign, and there is a comment from a rear gunner which approximately says this “I flew about fifty trips and never fired my guns once, never even saw a night fighter. There was another gunner in the squadron that claimed half a dozen night fighters shot down. None of us ever wanted to fly any where near him because we wondered what he was firing at”

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
"Matron, nail clippers, if you please!"

I've been working on yer man.
Here's progress thus far.
I found an 1/72 RAF pilot in my bits bag, so I've chopped him up a bit to try and make him look a bit 'Rag Doll'ish'.

Just seconds after he escaped from his aircraft, he has yet to orientate himself to reach for the parachute shrouds, which I made from the paper from the instruction sheet......

P1360257.JPG

Still a bit to do to him, but the basics are set down.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited: