spanner's Tamiya 1/35 T 62-A

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Lee, here's my entry, a T 62-A.

A lovely, straight forward kit. A 1/35 kit bought new for under £15 incl. p/p.... :thumb2:
P1250867.JPG

...with excellent vinyl tracks.
P1220808.JPG

Slagged off by some modellers.
Perhaps it's was one of those types who did this to the last one I built.
P1260660 (2).JPG

But I digress....
As per rules of this G.B., I'll build the tank as a stand alone. Once built, I'll probably move over to dioramas and do something with it.;)

In the mean time, thanks for organizing and running this event Lee. :thumb2:

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Snap! That's the one PJ is doing. Watching your build will give him something to aim for. No - I don't mean he'll be round your place with a shotgun!
They do look a good kit, might be tempted later - if I can 'get back into tanks' went off them years ago when uppers didn't match lowers in 1/72.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Slagged off by some modellers.
Mainly those looking for an accurate T-62, which this one decidedly is not :smiling3: But then, it was produced long before any model kit company was in a position to measure one up.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, if you read this, please don't let P.J. do the same.

We need to keep his enthusiasm and attention firmly at 100%, so reading any negative posts about this kit might well put him off completing or even starting it.

Tell him to build away, it's his kit, warts an' all, and to have fun along the way. I intend to.

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Both me and PJ share your thoughts on accuracy Ron. If it says T-62 on the box, as far as we're concerned, that's what we've got! Neither of us is expert enough, or cares enough to spot any inaccuracies.

We do need the experts to tell the manufacturers if they get it wrong though. That forces them to make improvements which filter down to the ranks of us amateurs in the form of better mouldings and materials. (Even you have succumbed to temptation with your posh foam board and fancy Vallejo paints :smiling3:!) Alas, it does also have a knock-on effect on prices but let's face it, how many modelling companies would there be, and how much choice would we have, if there were no profits to be made?

I know there are lots of modellers who prefer to take an old kit and use their skills to overcome issues and improve it, but I want something that goes together without too much hassle. I suspect that approach is becoming a wider issue in today's world. There seem to be far fewer people with manual skills because many of the skills they used to need are now unused as faulty parts today are replaced rather than repaired. The plumber who first came to look at my boiler in November certainly seemed to lack some basic skills. It took him three attempts to find a screwdriver to undo the Phillips screw holding the access door on!

Gotta stop now 'cos I can't see what I'm doing. This b****y 'erbert has got the whole house to choose from to find a spot to have a wash, but this is where he's picked!

IMGP4182.JPG

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Ron, I'm sure you'll make something good out of this kit, even if it is a bit old, just enjoy building it. I'll pull up a chair.:smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks like your ‘erbert has a bit of an eye issue Dave. Our old girl suffers with the same thing….

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looks like your ‘erbert has a bit of an eye issue Dave. Our old girl suffers with the same thing….

Two different cats there Tim. Clyde - aka 'erbert - (first picture) has been off his food since last night so I'm keeping an eye on him. Maybe a visit to the vet tomorrow.
Bonnie (second picture) has had that weeping eye for a few days now. It doesn't seem to bother her, but definitely a vet call tomorrow.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

Two different cats there Tim. Clyde - aka 'erbert - (first picture) has been off his food since last night so I'm keeping an eye on him. Maybe a visit to the vet tomorrow.
Bonnie (second picture) has had that weeping eye for a few days now. It doesn't seem to bother her, but definitely a vet call tomorrow.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ron very nice sorry I just caught up with this been kinda busy digging out from the snow storm we had. I like it I’ll try to pay more attention

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thought it was a bad respray LOL…..that’s what I get for not looking closely enough. Hope the vet visits go well.

Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Meanwhile, back at the build... ;)

Ready for painting. I usually glue the two halves of the running gear together and leave them on the sprues for painting.
There are two idlers.
P1320338.JPG

P1320342.JPG

P1320339.JPG

P1320340.JPG

P1320341.JPG

I don't want to paint this model in either the usual green or yet another one in a desert colour. So I'm going to try and paint the model in a cracking 'Real' two colour cammo. scheme I've spotted.

Cheers all.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The cammo. colours are dark over light, so as I always brush on the light colour first, I need to paint over the dark green plastic to produce an all over coat of the lighter colour.

Why bother? Just brush on the dark colour then add the lighter one......

It's simply that I would have to brush on loads more coats of the lighter colour. In the long run, I find the other way round is a lot quicker and easier.

Ramble, ramble, ramble.....

Here is the added plastic card glued on to hide the hole Dave referred to in P.J.'s build of the same tank. Hardly worth the trouble, as it'll barely be seen.
P1320348.JPG

Here's the initial undercoat brushed on using Vallejo Air.
Tracks stuck together too.
P1320349.JPG

Cheers,
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Good progress Ron. Did you add that strip flush with the outside edge of the hull? My eyes aren't working well enough to judge.
Any chance of a close-up of the track joints? I'm still ummin' an' errin' on whether to use that Loctite I've ordered or the hot screwdriver.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm definitely in 570 .
Been watching UTube on what glue to use , one guy even used TXThin .
Looks good progress regardless of which glue you used .As long as it works for you.
453 . Stalingrad Tractor Plant .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Nice to have your company. :thumb2:

Dave. The thin plastic card is glued to the face of the hull and shoved up to meet the upper bit. You don't have to have the thing wedged shaped, whatever takes P.J's fancy, 'cos it's tucked away out of sight behind the wheels and tracks.
As requested, here's a couple of shots of the track joint. I glued it together with ordinary g.p. glue. Polystyrene glue is fine too (I used that on my last tank build) It's only there to prevent any movement whilst the 'Branding' is done. The tracks are a generous length and easily stretch over the cogs etc., so why not try just polystyrene glue on it's own first?
If you do. make sure you rough up the two faces to be joined.

P1320350.JPG

P1320351.JPG

When the tracks are fitted just make sure the joint is hidden under a wheel or on top of the drive or idler wheels.

Job done!

Ron