spanner's Tamiya 1/35 T 62-A

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Update....

I've brushed on a second and luckily, final coat of the Dk. Brown. Considering the two extreme colours, I'm surprised I got away with just two applications.

All a bit brash and squeeky clean, but it will all tone down once the s**t and dust is applied. Not to mention bending bits.

Anyway, here is the tank ready for some detail painting and a general touch up! :flushed:

View attachment 447859

View attachment 447860

View attachment 447862

View attachment 447861

View attachment 447863

Where I can, I like to try and 'Flow' the camouflage from the hull to the turret when viewed from above. Just a 'Me' thing really..
View attachment 447864

Cheers all.
Ron
That’s Superb looking love the Camo

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much for the great comments fellas.

Particularly where armour is concerned, sometimes I wonder why I/we go to the trouble of trying to get a good finish on the painting side when we then screw it up by adding dints, scrapes, boot marks, scratches, a bit of rust and chipping, dirt, mud, dust etc. Not to mention tin cans, netting, logs.....I'll stop there!

Cheers.
Ron

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Because it’s easier to make good paintwork look bad, than bad paintwork look good?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Ron, as always.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Mick and Andrew. I'm glad you like the progress thus far.

I usually build OOB, but this time I need to add a few bits.
I've started with the side protection thingies. Rather rudimentary, but that is how they are supposed to be - kind'a rushed!

I made them out of plastic card and chunks of an old metal sieve.

I rarely use my scalpel now, preferring to use the one shown. It's far better to control than the somewhat 'wobbly' scalpel blade, particularly for this application. I didn't even need to use a steel rule and cut the things out freehand.....a good testament to the 'controllability' of the thicker blade.

Marked out...
P1320565.JPG

Cut out...
P1320566.JPG

Sieve mesh glued on using UHU G.P. glue.
P1320567.JPG

...and painted.
P1320568.JPG

P1320569.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking very good Ron. Camo's excellent and the scratchery is coming on a treat. Carry on that man !
John.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well done that man!

Gotta question. Me being pig higorant in such matters, what good does that type of mesh armour do? I cant see it being strong enough to stop anything serious.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bricks, empty bottles of beer, bottles filled with petrol, toilet rolls?

Presumably grenades or RPG's? I haven't a clue.;) I seed the things and tort they would look cool stuck to the tank sides.

I'm sure all the members know - 'cept us that is. :upside: But I'm sure we'll soon find out!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well done that man!

Gotta question. Me being pig higorant in such matters, what good does that type of mesh armour do? I cant see it being strong enough to stop anything serious.
I think the purpose is to explode RPGs or shells before they reach the main body of the tank. It doesn't have to stop them, just explode them prematurely.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Exactly, the mesh serves to stop rockets etc. from infantry anti-tank weapons: they either directly hit one of the mesh wires and detonate too far from the main armour to be effective, or they get caught between the wires of the mesh. The slat armour that has been seen on a lot of AFVs over the past twenty years or so (and goes back to ideas from the 1960s, that never went beyond prototypes etc.) serves the same purpose.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Late catch up here 570.......the window screens are a great addition........aside from keeping the exploding insects from getting inside.....they will give your tank a rather unique appearance. Keep up the good work! :thumb2:
Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers men!
I've decided to go the whole hog and add some more mesh thingies.
I didn't want the stuff to look like a plain mesh garden fence, so I altered the shape and construction of front and rear additions.

I've also painted on some camo.

All glued on. Up and down and in and out.

P1320573.JPG

I've also made a start on some rough and ready stowage around the turret. More later...
P1320575.JPG

P1320574.JPG

Thanks for looking in...

Ron