Spraying a large plane, nightmare!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sorry folks its me again

Having problems spraying the 1/32 me 109 with a airbrush due to its size. Cannot paint it all due to be unable to hold it?

Placed it on a stand to do the top but will have to do the underneath in a few days. AlanG has been very generous with advice, thanks Al! Wondering if there are other ideas. Might have to follow Al's method of in sections

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
The best way to eat a big cake.....small bites. Of course I don’t believe in small bites myself:smiling5:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Place the model upside down supported as needed. Spray the bottom. You can then put it on the wheels and paint the top and sides.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Si, stop mentioning cake, now i have done it!! Same advice from Al, can see its benefits. its one huge learning curve!!!! Never have this with a Stug!

Evening Ian, good idea but its not on its wheels . But a very good idea for the future, many thanks

Bob

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just take it steady and as others say in small steps. The 109 is really quite a small aircraft, and in 1/32 smaller than a 1/72 Lancaster. If you think it is big you really should try the 1/32 Moquito produced by HKM or Tamiya or go the whole hog and try the 1/32 HKM Lancaster!!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Don't know Al's advise but I'm guessing an empty box and foam pipe insulation is involved . Then you can use it for those wheels up builds.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Barry, now i do like the Lancaster but 1/32!! Seen the box in Antics, would have to get a estate car to take it him lol, but i would ruin it! Got the He 219 and thats frightening me a treat!!

Hi Ian, Al's advice was to build and spray in sections, that sounds like a plan to me

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lazy Susan! Put that into Amazon, and you'll get cake stands, turntables of all shapes and sizes - you can spin the model round to your hearts content! Unless you suspend the model in mid-air, or on a long stick, painting overall will be more trouble than it's worth, and remember the saying KISS ( keep it simple, stupid ) :tongue-out:
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Dave, like the sound of cake!!
Much easire to paint a tank lol

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Cake.....other cakes are available :tongue-out:
9E22E3F1-9E16-4DE0-AE70-4DC0C84AAD2A.jpeg
For discussion purposes only....and for eating with a nice brew or decent coffee:smiling4:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Dave, like the sound of cake!!
Much easire to paint a tank lol
HI Bob i know you said lol but I don't understand what you said there I would think its a lot harder to paint a tank than a plane as a tank has a lot more bits on it suface exscuse me on this

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hang it up. This is my 1:32 He111.
You do need a big strong hook though.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
And you spray it there where you photographed it? :smiling3:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Si, thought you were posting me that cake, pronto !! Been in all day and not a slice!!

Hi Boatman, no problem, its just the size, no where to hold it. Seen rods placed in the hole for the prop but this kit has a fixed pin

Always found tanks ok to spray apart from the tools etc

Interesting method Colin, in my garage a sudden gust of wind lol but much worth a try

Thanks bob

First Name
Ross
Bob

I use a small plastic container (here it's what small fried rice, from chinese takeway comes in) then that sits on a lazy susan and I will paint one side first. Then that sits in a 50 litre plastic container thats on it's side (hopefully it catches any overspray), the only problem I have is with the wingspan not fitting or bumping when I spin the lazy susan.

cheers
Ross

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It's not the first time I've hung a model for spraying. My 1:72 B36 Peace maker was first !

Thats a big beastie Colin, even in 1/72 nd !!!
How many cans of primer were used ????

Paul.
:smiling2: