StDs 1/72 AModel Hawker Hector

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Not too early to post this am I? Not starting 'til Montag but I'll get the preview in

IMG_2345.JPGIMG_2346.JPGIMG_2347.JPGIMG_2348.JPG

While A Model kits are nicely detailed, their major flaw is a lack of locating pins. The 1/144 'Canberraski' I did recently had six fuselage halves, with no steps or pins to align them properly
So, I already know I'm going to have to drill and put in a couple of brass rod wing spars

I'm going for a pre-war Silver wings version, so fortunately I've got plenty of pre-war RAF letters. And silver / chrome / aluminium paint

One oddity I've noticed on the box art. It depicts 613 Squadron flying in defence of Calais, the only time the Hector was actually used 'in anger'. But if you look closely, the column of trucks they're bombing look British by the camo. especially the smaller one in the field. Bedfords rather than German Blitzes!

Attachments

• IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2344.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
As Ambassador Kosh said, 'And so it begins'
I'll be doing this beast as K8143 of 4 Squadron (Army Co-op). None of the photos I've found, which are very small, definitively show whether the 'plane had the Co-op six-pointed star with squadron badge on the fin, so I might not do that.
It will be all silver though
To be honest, I wasn't going to do any of my Hart variants until I had the complete 'set', I'm still missing the Hardy. But starting at the last variant and working backwards is okay

IMG_2352.JPGIMG_2353.JPG
A bit out-of-focus, sorry. The only part of the cockpit with a locating hole is for the joystick, which I'm leaving off until I've painted the seat and added belts.
I'm also going to have to add a firewall at the front, or you'll be able to see right through and out the engine intakes!
IMG_2351.JPG
The gunner seat has NOTHING to guide placement, nor which way up the floor panel is supposed to be. I can see myself having to move it later. Up top here is one of the alternative floors, with open bomb-aimer hatch, viewed from below. Luckily I have plenty of photo reference!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one chris , the Amodel kits can be a test but subject wise they are often the only game in town . It doesn't look too bad once its cleaned up and seen as you’ve done their stuff before you know the drill regarding strengthening joints etc . Cheers tony

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Right, so the main cockpit parts are detailed and painted
IMG_2360.JPG
The kit suggests a grey interior, but I've3 gone with the red bled-through dope effect
IMG_2361.JPG
The control panel is just as is, with a couple of coloured dials. I thought about some white details, but decided just to go for gloss over black
All the panel decals I've got for Harts and variants are black on clear, which is a shame looking at real panels
IMG_2366.JPG
Pilot seat with Tamiya masking strip seat belts; my go-to technique if I've no appropriate etch or other. Still notb adding the joystick yet, and the pedal angle won't be obvious when in place
As can be seen at left, one really good thing about these kits is separate tyres to the wheel hubs!
IMG_2365.JPG
The fuselage floor, with gunner's seat. Belts again from masking strip.
I'm going to have to add a bulkhead behind the gunner, as well as the engine firewall, and a piece to represent the fuel tank behind the control panel when the fuselage goes together
The brass supports I'll be adding for the lower wings will be in the position of the wing spars. More by coincidence than design!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AAAh a Babylon V follower!
The Hector looks pretty good, once you've the bits off those nasty sprues it will look pretty mainstream
Dave
YES Dave im another ive got the complete set on dvd of B/5
Chrisb

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A Hawker Hector, that's a new one on me. It will be nice to see this one finished.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Cough, wibble, wheeze
'The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to take a vote.'

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lots of aircraft in this GB that are new to me tis being another one. I'm guessing this is one of those interwar designs like the Hart, Fury, Gauntlet or Gladiator?
Looks like an interesting build and I'm looking forward to the progess
Good luck
Paul

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lots of aircraft in this GB that are new to me tis being another one. I'm guessing this is one of those interwar designs like the Hart, Fury, Gauntlet or Gladiator?
Looks like an interesting build and I'm looking forward to the progess
Good luck
Paul
Always amazes me how many different, but very similar, aircraft the RAF used during the interwar period. The pilots must have had different rides every eighteen months or so :smiling:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
It's way past time I did a little background, as the Hector is a little obscure. A new 'plane every eighteen months to two years? Well, such was the pace of development in the nineteen-thirties

The Hector is the last of the Hawker multi-role biplane family that began with the Hart, the grand-daughter if you like. Each one of the family had a different specific role, and all but the Hector had a variant or development of the Kestrel engine

The story really begins with the Fairey Fox, which came into service in 1925, and was the first light bomber fitted with an inline engine. As such it outperformed the current RAF fighters, like the Woodcock and Siskin. The Fox only ever equipped one squadron, 12, who still use a fox as their squadron badge to this day. Fairey committed the unforgivable sin of using an American engine, so the Fox replacement was undertaken by Hawkers, with the Rolls Royce Kestrel. And yes, the later Merlin engine was also named for a bird of prey, not a certain mage.
The Hart entered service in 1930, proving so capable the Air Ministry, as many Air Ministries are wont to do, said 'can you make one that does 'fill in role'?'

The first variant was the Demon, a two-seat fighter in the Brisfit mould. Interestingly, Airfix's Demon kit began life as a Hart
Next is the Osprey, a 'navalised' Hart for fleet spotter / recce work
The Audax was an army co-operation aircraft; ground support, recce, messaging. It's known as 'the'Art with an 'ook' because of the message pick-up hook hanging underneath
The Hardy was a 'tropicalised' Audax, for use out in Empire, fitted with balloon tyres and extra engine cooling
The Hind was a dedicated bomber meant to replace the Hart. The Shuttleworth Collection have one of the few still flying, and it is very very pretty

The last of the line was the Hector. It was the Audax, army co-op, replacement. It was fitted with the more powerful Napier Dagger engine, as the Kestrel had about reached it's development potential, and there simply weren't enough to go round with all the Hind orders, as the RAF entered it's re-armament phase in the mid-'thrties. However, the Dagger wasn't suitable for tropicalisation, so the Hector never served abroad. The Hector was accepted for service before the prototype had flown, such was the goodwill generated by the Hart family. A Hart was used as test-bed, and the upper wing was straightened due to the change in the centre-of-gravity with the heavier engine. The Hector entered service late in 1936, and began to be replaced by Lysanders in 1938.
613 Squadron Hectors flew from the UK in defence and supply of Calais in 1940. Soon after they were relegated to target-towing duties, eventually being struck off charge in 1942, having been replaced by the Hawker Henley, a monoplane which began life as a light-bomber competitor to the Battle, the same year the Hector entered service. The only foreign user of the Hector was the Irish Air Corps
Oh, it was named for the Trojan prince. Was he Paris' big brother?

Many foreign Hart and Hind users fitted their aircraft with radials. Most of the prototypes of later variants were either Harts or Audaxes modified

There is also the Hartbees, more often called 'Hartbeeste', which was an Audax version built by and for South Africa

The Hawker Fury single-seat fighter was, sort-of, built to give the fighter squadrons a way to deal with it's big sister, the Hart

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Interesting read Chris and thanks for the info. It looks like a really cool kit and I'm sure you'll do a great job building it. Bring it on Sir!!!...

Prost
Allen