StDs 1/72 AModel Hawker Hector

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The wheels in the kit are separate hubs and tires, which is a nice idea to make painting easier
And to make up the balloon tyres for my planned Hardy conversion to the AZ Audax
IMG_2530.JPG
Both this and the Amodel Hart have two pair of large and small hubs with appropriate tyres

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Well, here we are then
IMG_2533.JPGIMG_2537.JPG
Main struts are on, next for the cabane struts, which are sadly lacking in adequate mounting points. The strut pieces themselves are VERY thin, and pliable. I was expecting one to break, especially as they have like SIX mounting points to the sprue. The airspeed indicator thingy is moulded on,another nice touch, but I KNOW I'm going to break that while rigging

Put a very small stream of filler along the coaming / fuselage join. Unfortunately, the brush silver is a different shade to the spray,. Doesn't show too much though

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Okay, so once this and the SE.5A are done, this will be next, the 'plane I wanted to do for this GB in the first place!IMG_2497.JPG
It's a big, hefty resin piece, and will need a full interior with all those big windows, but I've stuff left over from another, similar, aircraft build...

I'm also considering this
IMG_2493.JPG
Yes, it is, indeed a vacform! I mean, it can't give me any more trouble than this Hector can it?

Can it?

Hmm, when WAS the last time I attempted a Vac (and got halfway-through?)...

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I am persevering...

So, the control column just dropped out and broke, for no apparent reason. and the left wing struts detached...
But the top wing IS going on....

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Keep at it chris its going to be worth it . The Breda looks lovely , like an italian take on the De havilland DH89 dragon rapide . cheers tony

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
This one is certainly fighting you Chris but I'm sure you can sort it

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Keep at it chris its going to be worth it . The Breda looks lovely , like an italian take on the De havilland DH89 dragon rapide . cheers tony
Yeah, the Breda is a Rapide-a-like, and they are contemporary designs. Some sources say Breda had the licence to build the Rapide, but modified the airframe and wings rather than do a straight copy. And then they changed the engines they originally used for Gypsy Sixes, just like the Rapide. I may get another Rapide rigging kit to do this! While I do have a monograph filled with lots of useful pictures, it's in Italian, so I can't read it
Maybe I'll Google translate!

This one is certainly fighting you Chris but I'm sure you can sort it
Oh goddess yes. So, in trying to get the top wing on, the struts parted company from the lower wing, because they should be at a very steep angle, which I was carefully repositioning them to
And no bleeping locating pins to help!

No, not giving up just yet...
But, it won't be like the Pegasus Gauntlet I did WAAAY which frustration levels stopped me finishing for TWELVE years!

Back to the SE.5A

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So, this build is now, officially on hold, until I can get or make a jig to hold the damn thing while I try and attach the wing.
I know I'm going to have to drill ALL the struts and wire them to pin them in as the butt-joints, I know will not be adequate to hold

I know now fully what awaits me with the other Amodel kits I've got, like I didn't already suspect...