String Bag A Swordfish

T

tecdes

View attachment 50470View attachment 50471View attachment 50472View attachment 50473

Started on this old lady. Old & decrepit she was when put battle. But not widely known that she accounted for more enemy attacking naval craft than any other aircraft in WW11.

This is the most intricate so far. Purists will note that I am using Photo Etched stuff. To good a model I thought to ruin with my attempts to rig the thing as this is my first aircraft attempted with rigging. So here goes

They tore the heart out of the Italian Nave at Toronto. Crippled the Bismark the largest warship around at that time. Probably would have got the Scharhorst & Princz Eugen if the RAF fighters had turned up to protect the Swordfish. L.Crd Eugene Esmonde & all his squadron were downed.

Stringbag. Comes from the string shopping bag my mother & every other mother had at that time. A string bag carried everything what ever shape size or weight adaptable for anything. That was the Swordfish it could carry to the enemy every armament available.

Also it was a pioneer of air to sea radar detection. Just a remarkable old girl. Think of the crews leaving a cam ship in the middle of the Atlantic & travelling 250 miles out then coming back with their ship having travel in another direction to avoid the U Boats. Some stress some courage. Just one purring engine (keep purring friend) scary.

Laurie

PS if you try this one do not bother with the Swordfish booklet. Loads of pictures but so far can see little help in construction. Cost ten quid.

View attachment 53153

View attachment 53154

View attachment 53155

View attachment 53156

P9050479.jpg

P9050472.jpg

P9050476.jpg

P9050477.jpg

C

CDW

It's a nice aircraft Laurie....

Whether or not you're rigging using twine / line or those photo etched doodabs it'll be a task i expect, but you'll do it justice as per normal.

Keep us up to speed with the updates.

First Name
Dave
I've got this one in my stash.So i will be following your build.

K

Keith9657

I've thought about this kit myself but to be honest the rigging put me off. Likewise, I will be following your every move, Laurie - but don't feel pressured!

Keith

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Laurie I'm really looking forward to this build as I've considered buying the 1/32 Trumpy version. It looks a great kit especially with all those PE parts.

Vaughan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well gazumped again! lol

I will be watching

Ian M

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am another one who has been thinking about the 32 scale Trumpy. Good luck with this build Laurie, I will watch with interest.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great choice Laurie. I'm after the new Airfix 1:72, not quite the same league, but it's high on the want list.

chameleon 2009

Mike Tipping Models
SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Laurie

A tip for you dont use the metal etched parts for the rigging, get some 10lb fishing line, its gives you a better job, ( check my 3rd build) let me know if your going down this route and I can help you, its good fun honest

Mike

T

tecdes

Thanks Mike.

Had decided even though I have the metal etched parts that I would decide close to the point which way to jump. Was going to offer up the etched part first to see if it looked the part. If not I will go for torture !

Where is your third build located Mike ?

Laurie

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Laurie

I had a look around the site for Mikes build and found these two threads if that's any help. http://www.scale-models.co.uk/general-aircraft-chat/16216-its-finished-string-bag.html

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/16145-work-progress-old-string-bag.html He also has photos on his website of the finished model. Mike Tipping Models

Vaughan

T

tecdes

\ said:
Hi Laurie I had a look around the site for Mikes build and found these two threads if that's any help. http://www.scale-models.co.uk/general-aircraft-chat/16216-its-finished-string-bag.html

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/16145-work-progress-old-string-bag.html He also has photos on his website of the finished model. Mike Tipping Models

Vaughan
Thanks for your time on that Vaughan appreciated.

Now off to delve.

Laurie

chameleon 2009

Mike Tipping Models
SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
on my wed site Laurie

Welcome to Mike Tipping Models

T

tecdes

Pictures not so good. Camera being repaired. Stand by camera screen is upside down & back to front. Not easy. Ever looked in a mirror to alter the menu ?

Really great detail best ever for me so far. Makes me go stealthily to get it right.

View attachment 51110

All parts air brushed & all parts fit like gloves a revelation. Top marks Tamiya.

View attachment 51104View attachment 51106View attachment 51105

What a cockpit

View attachment 51108View attachment 51109

Great detail with the air crew. Very satisfiying build so far. Also as you build you realise what an incredible aircraft the Swordfish was. A transition between mono & bi plane. Three in the crew.

View attachment 51107

Laurie

View attachment 51103

View attachment 53711

View attachment 53712

View attachment 53713

View attachment 53714

View attachment 53715

View attachment 53716

View attachment 53717

View attachment 53718

P9100491.jpg

P1010064.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010076.jpg

P1010087.jpg

P1010088.jpg

P1010090.jpg

P9060486.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thats a crackimg office Laurie.

Tony.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great start Laurie. The completed Swordfishes so far have been magnificent, will be good to see another brilliant result here.