String Bag A Swordfish

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
All looks good Laurie some great detail. That interior framework reminds me of the Revell Arado 196. keep posting the photos this is an interesting build.

Vaughan

T

tecdes

Thanks men grateful for your interest & comments.

Hope I can get my camera mended soon. Big Sales Group causing problems & difficulties. Will not mention the name (secretly it is Currys). Two telephone conversations & five emails seem to be making progress.

Laurie

T

tecdes

Little slow going & also just got the camera back from repair.

View attachment 51969View attachment 51966

The figures. The faces need more work on them but they have great detail. Bought Edward stuff but as the figures are going to be used the Edward seat belts are redundant. Very enjoyable to paint. They looked weathered. Accidental in fact. I did not prime & with all the handling they “weatherd “ so thought thy looked OK & I am leaving them as portrayed here.

Not a great lot to say so far except the detailing is superb. If you look at the floor of the cockpit for instance it is very well detailed. Think I will weather but not fully decided yet. The red bits represent the doped linen.

View attachment 51965View attachment 51970

The engine is well detailed. Shots of parts non existent due to camera. Tamiya photo parts are all there but like others difficult to show on camera. But they look very good.

View attachment 51968View attachment 51967

All parts except the very small pieces have been airbrushed. The figures hand painted. Observation how about being a part of the crew in a single engined aircraft with all of your body open to the elements, cold, rain snow & definetley wind in the North Atlantic including Iceland. These blokes deserved a special recognition.

All in all so far a very nice model to build. The instructions are good & a lot of care has been taken in the design & production of the parts. First Tamiya & impressed.

Laurie

PS colours of the fuselage construction is pale green. Here it has turned out for some reason fawn.

View attachment 54526

View attachment 54527

View attachment 54528

View attachment 54529

View attachment 54530

View attachment 54531

topFUSELAGE.jpg

backFIGURES.jpg

engine.jpg

engine 2.jpg

figures.jpg

fuselageWITH.jpg

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice Laurie.

Ian M

C

CDW

those figures are 1/48???

WOW what detail eh.

I just bought a set of 8 new airfix ones and there's more detail in one of your lots arm than in all 8 airfix figures.

nicely painted also my friend :smiling3:

T

tecdes

Colin one came as a complete figure. The other with one arm to be glued to fix in position as required the other similar but two arms.

They are in fact better than the photos show. Yes they are 1/48.

Laurie

T

treyzx10r

Great looking figures,an area I need to work on for sure. They look really sharp ,nicely done Laurie!

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Your stringbag is really coming along, the detail is awesome.

Great work so far.

Tony.

R

roconnell

\ said:
View attachment 50470View attachment 50471View attachment 50472View attachment 50473Stringbag. Comes from the string shopping bag my mother & every other mother had at that time. A string bag carried everything what ever shape size or weight adaptable for anything. That was the Swordfish it could carry to the enemy every armament available.
Hi Laurie

Will be watching this build very closley as its on my bucket list.

Coming along really nicly :smiling:

I'm certainly not an aircraft buff but I always thought that Stringbag derived from the fact they used string to make repairs to this wonderful aircraft?

Nice build mate

Rich :smiling:

T

tecdes

Yes that was Richard on the "string thing " my thoughts until I read a number of accounts including from one who flew this strange aircraft.

In constructing it it is far from a string bag the construction is more like JCB standard big & strong. The cockpit frame is enormously well built & it's resilience to enemy fire was rather like the Mosquito & Wellington, also both frame built, robust. They could all lose part of their frame but still fly home.

Laurie

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Nice work on the Radial engine Laurie and the internal frame work is very detailed. I presume you got the camera sorted out?

Vaughan

T

tecdes

View attachment 52005View attachment 52006View attachment 52007View attachment 52008View attachment 52004

A bit further. Pictures to show how good the joints are by Tamiya. Superb fits.

Second photo shows a large piece (shown in photo1) The fit is near perfect for such a large piece.

The tail plane & rudder fitted perfectly. It had a rebated area it slotted into without any glueing needed externally great work by Tamiya. They have used natural joints of panels to good advantage. The fuselage except for one small area fitted like a glove. Hardly any filling needed & no reshaping needed. Hope the skill is up to the job by the model maker.

Yes thanks Vaughan despite Currys the camera is repaired. Amazing they informed me a cheque would be issued but wait 28 days.

Laurie

View attachment 54565

View attachment 54566

View attachment 54567

View attachment 54568

View attachment 54569

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looks like a really well engineered kit Laurie. I'm sure the model makers up to it!!

Vaughan

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Little slow going & also just got the camera back from repair.View attachment 51969View attachment 51966

The figures. The faces need more work on them but they have great detail. Bought Edward stuff but as the figures are going to be used the Edward seat belts are redundant. Very enjoyable to paint. They looked weathered. Accidental in fact. I did not prime & with all the handling they “weatherd “ so thought thy looked OK & I am leaving them as portrayed here.

Not a great lot to say so far except the detailing is superb. If you look at the floor of the cockpit for instance it is very well detailed. Think I will weather but not fully decided yet. The red bits represent the doped linen.

View attachment 51965View attachment 51970

The engine is well detailed. Shots of parts non existent due to camera. Tamiya photo parts are all there but like others difficult to show on camera. But they look very good.

View attachment 51968View attachment 51967

All parts except the very small pieces have been airbrushed. The figures hand painted. Observation how about being a part of the crew in a single engined aircraft with all of your body open to the elements, cold, rain snow & definetley wind in the North Atlantic including Iceland. These blokes deserved a special recognition.

All in all so far a very nice model to build. The instructions are good & a lot of care has been taken in the design & production of the parts. First Tamiya & impressed.

Laurie

PS colours of the fuselage construction is pale green. Here it has turned out for some reason fawn.
Very nice work, love all the detail that engine is superb, just one thing, are those the same figures as in a Lancaster they look identical to the ones I have done for mine?

T

tecdes

Thanks Adrian. Do not know about the figures. I believe from memory that they had heating in the Lancaster. The rear gunners had a heat system of sorts so would imagine they must have had in the cockpit. Which case they would not be so heavily clothed.

In A Swordfish it must have been cold enough to deep freeze the goolies for a week a bad state of affairs. So would have been surprised if the figures were the same. But I really do not know. The pilot may be but the other two are in poses to fit navigator & half standing rear gunner so I would not have thought so.

Is yours a Tamiya Lancaster Adrian ? I am really impressed with the figures they are the best I have seen & it is sad that all manufacturers can not do the same.

Laurie

First Name
Adrian
Yeah, mines the same as Ian id building, though it wont be anywhere near as good :smiling3:

There are 3 figures with the Lanc, two I have started, one is almost identical I think.

Cheers

Adrian

T

tecdes

Not quite the same Adrian but they are nicely detailed & well painted.

These do not seem to have the "Biggles" type goggles. If they have I used silver paint for the glass. I did not fill all the glass area just a portion. Tried to achieve a glint on the glass effect.

Laurie

First Name
Adrian
Good idea with the goggles, my one guy is missing his other arm for now, my Lanc is on hold whilst I do the Mosquito, probabily start it back up after IPMS show :smiling3:

T

tecdes

Progress has been slow with other events not as welcome as model making hindering progress. But now back on track in all ways.

All the armaments which are slung under the bottom wing show how versatile this aircraft was. The yellow is the result of the Gritcolin process.

Used Mr Surfacer on the fuselage joins. The joints were goof Tamiya stuff & the Mr Surfacer 500 finished joins which are not visible.

Decided to more or less finish the fuselage & wings separately as I feel so much damage will be collected connecting them at an early stage.

Laurie

Edit Apologies for the pictures. Just do not know what happened as they are not the same quality as the originals

SO RUBBISH I HAVE DITCHED THEM

see next post TRYING HARDER.

View attachment 56867

View attachment 56868

View attachment 56869

View attachment 56870

View attachment 56871

View attachment 56872

View attachment 56873

View attachment 56874

PB180826.jpg

PB080799.jpg