David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Not sure if this was first choice I did take a long look at this
20210711_101529.jpg
Because one of the colour call outs was this
20210711_101617.jpg
I didn't know that the Russians had borrowed some of these ,any way after consultation with matron it was decided the excitement could be to much for mr Race and with a shortage of disposables she couldn't cope. :tongue-out3:
So I've gone with the SU-122 ,so what do you get ,
20210711_100752.jpg
20210711_101024.jpg
20210711_101750.jpg
Well £8.80 snap fit no glue (I will glue just to be safe)as you can see the mouldings are superb forget Zvezda of old their up there with the rest now ,the way the tracks work looks really exciting will show more on that when I get there. Saw something on YouTube I want to give a run out on this if it all goes a bit Pete Tounge not too much lost.
In a moment of weakness got myself one of these from the SM Shop not cheap(as I said a moment of weakness)but a very nice piece of engineering quality is superb
20210711_101457.jpg
Perhaps I should visit matron my wallet refuses to come out from behind the settee, right im off to the work bench (dining table) to get this one under way. Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I didn't know that the Russians had borrowed some of these
Lend-Lease went several ways during the war. The British delivered a fair number of tanks to the USSR, and more British designs went there from Canada — much of the Canadian production of Valentine infantry tanks, for example.

the mouldings are superb forget Zvezda of old their up there with the rest now
From what I’ve been seeing of Zvezda models in recent years, they do make me want to build one. It’s just that I haven’t seen many whose subject I actually want to build, though …

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice , these Zvezda snap fit are excellent kits , the detail is brilliant. Once assembled you can never tell the difference . Looking forward to this , cheers tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Naturally I shall have a front row seat Dave.
Out of interest.
Lend Lease Impressions: Churchill

churchill-2.png
Churchill III tank at the NIIBT proving grounds, September 1942. Retrieved from Baryatinskiy, Lend Lease Tanks in Battle.
The Churchill (frequently referred to as "Mk IV" in Soviet documents) was among the various tanks received by the Soviet Union through the Lend-Lease program. As with all tanks, they put it through trials, and, as with all tanks, it had some shortcomings.

churchill-1.jpg
CAMD RF 38-11355-938

"List of defects discovered in the process of using the Churchill tank.

1. The track link pins on the new tracks are contained with welds. This makes it difficult to repair tracks in field conditions. After replacing track pins, it is difficult to weld the covers back in place.
  2. Lightened tracks collect dirt and bulge out, which in turn pushes up the mudguards and make turning the turret difficult.
  3. Road wheels are poorly held on their axles. There were cases where they would come off and get lost during the tank's movement.
  4. The track link mortise is of poor quality, and is destroyed during movement.
  5. The main clutch gear axles are of poor quality, and sometimes break at their base.
  6. Rollers in the gear box are of poor quality and break.
  7. Gears in the gear box are of poor quality and break.
  8. Oil leaks from the gear box.
  9. The hoses from the "Amal" gasoline pump are not sturdy enough, and can tear during movement.
  10. The manual turret rotation mechanism is insufficiently reliable. The chain breaks, and the switch from manual to automatic traverse bends.
  11. The height of the driver and assistant driver observation devices does not let them see to the sides.
  12. The open engine grille does not prevent gasoline from incendiary bottles from getting into the engine compartment.
  13. Track links do not make good contact with the ground. The poor traction severely limits the tank's ability to go up and down inclines and tilt.
  14. Upon tilting 20 degrees, tracks fall off.
  15. The recoil springs of the 57 mm gun are poorly fixed, which leads to imbalances and jamming when they hit the cylinders."
In real combat, the Churchill showed another deficiency. The heaters were weak, and often replaced with domestic ones.

That's quite a list. The Soviets weren't the only ones to dislike the Churchill.

From Tank Archives for discussion purposes only.

So you weren't alone Dave.:nerd:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lend-Lease went several ways during the war. The British delivered a fair number of tanks to the USSR, and more British designs went there from Canada — much of the Canadian production of Valentine infantry tanks, for example.

From what I’ve been seeing of Zvezda models in recent years, they do make me want to build one. It’s just that I haven’t seen many whose subject I actually want to build, though …
Thanks Jakko as usual a font of knowledge always ready to help with the answers, as for subject matter I dont ever worry about the manufacturer if its something I fancy then so be it I just crack on thanks again Dave.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nice , these Zvezda snap fit are excellent kits , the detail is brilliant. Once assembled you can never tell the difference . Looking forward to this , cheers tony
Couldn't agree more and under a tenner I realise 72nd isn't everybody's cuppa but if people are stuck or lost their mojo they should grab one I think they would enjoy it ,thanks for looking in Tony. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Out of interest.

View attachment 428822
Churchill III tank at the NIIBT proving grounds, September 1942. Retrieved from Baryatinskiy, Lend Lease Tanks in Battle.
The Churchill (frequently referred to as "Mk IV" in Soviet documents) was among the various tanks received by the Soviet Union through the Lend-Lease program. As with all tanks, they put it through trials, and, as with all tanks, it had some shortcomings.

View attachment 428823
CAMD RF 38-11355-938

1. The track link pins on the new tracks are contained with welds. This makes it difficult to repair tracks in field conditions. After replacing track pins, it is difficult to weld the covers back in place.
  2. Lightened tracks collect dirt and bulge out, which in turn pushes up the mudguards and make turning the turret difficult.
  3. Road wheels are poorly held on their axles. There were cases where they would come off and get lost during the tank's movement.
  5. The main clutch gear axles are of poor quality, and sometimes break at their base.
  9. The hoses from the "Amal" gasoline pump are not sturdy enough, and can tear during movement.
  10. The manual turret rotation mechanism is insufficiently reliable. The chain breaks, and the switch from manual to automatic traverse bends.
  11. The height of the driver and assistant driver observation devices does not let them see to the sides.
  12. The open engine grille does not prevent gasoline from incendiary bottles from getting into the engine compartment.
  13. Track links do not make good contact with the ground. The poor traction severely limits the tank's ability to go up and down inclines and tilt.
  15. The recoil springs of the 57 mm gun are poorly fixed, which leads to imbalances and jamming when they hit the cylinders."
In real combat, the Churchill showed another deficiency. The heaters were weak, and often replaced with domestic ones.

That's quite a list. The Soviets weren't the only ones to dislike the Churchill.

Welcome John, blimey not much to like about it was there i wonder what we would have said about their KV's or T34's ,were we aware of these faults as well the usual mend and make do send the men out with not fit for purpose. Still will build this one in the russian get up at some point. Dave

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome John, blimey not much to like about it was there i wonder what we would have said about their KV's or T34's ,were we aware of these faults as well the usual mend and make do send the men out with not fit for purpose. Still will build this one in the russian get up at some point. Dave
Surprised Dave at such a report from them considering the faults with the KV2 and early T34s, seems a bit ungrateful and churlish really.:sad:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Out of interest.

View attachment 428822

View attachment 428823
CAMD RF 38-11355-938

So apart from that it was alright lol

• Haha

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Out of interest.
It is interesting, yes :smiling3:

[*]Track links do not make good contact with the ground. The poor traction severely limits the tank's ability to go up and down inclines and tilt.
That is odd. The British view was that the Churchill was a better hill-climber than almost anything else at the time.
“The Churchill” by Bryan Perrett said:
“The Djebel Rhar is one of the strongest defensive positions that one could ever hope to occupy,” [the German battalion commander] said. “I would have been prepared to hold it against a full scale British infantry brigade attack. When it was apparent that tanks were being used over the high ground, I knew it was all over.”
Another officer is reported to have stated: “When information was first received that tanks were being used on the high ground at Longstop it was not believed.”

Strangely, they missed what I think is the most common complaint from British troops: the thing leaked like a sieve, except, apparently, for the floor. Which made it a fun tank to be in in prolonged rain …

as for subject matter I dont ever worry about the manufacturer if its something I fancy then so be it I just crack on
I tend to prefer avoiding models that are actually hard to build, if there’s a choice for a given subject :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That fault list sounds a bit “political “ to be honest……then again, apart from hill climbing it does seem perhape feasible. They probably thought more of it in the field than they did the M3 Lee/Grant (a grave for seven brothers). It could also be a doctrinal thing. The Churchill was designed as an infantry tank, aka mobile pillbox, and the Russians went for much more mobile tank tactics, which wouldn’t have suited the design at all. Also, as was mentioned on another thread, mobile repair units were not really used in the Russian military of the time. Basic field maintenance, such as having to weld tracks, would therefore be seen as a drawback to their ethos.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Greetings hope all are well ,been cracking on in fact its waiting for primer ,can't decide wether first choice black or give the red oxide another spin out (saying as JR drew me into buying the stuff). Anyway what a absolutely beautiful little kit ,I know some of you like your plastic to be just so well this is , mouldings are pin sharpe zero flash the odd seam line but thats nothing out of the ordinary every bodys gives you a little of that, the central part of the external fuel tanks are moulded in a solid piece the ends come with the retaining straps moulded on and a nice subtle keyway to make sure they all line up spot on so no horrible joints to fill or rub out ,I would cast doubts about it being all snap fit ive glued it all but when it snaps it certainly snaps, just out of intrest I started using the black mr cement quite interesting to watch the capillary action when you touch the joint with the brush ,I use four diffrent types of liquid cement because as some know most of what I make comes from the Eastern block Ukraine side of the world where just so plastic doesn't exist some wants quite a aggressive cement some something less but anyway I digress so on to the tracks moulded in black plastic quite hard not brittle though ,on the two ends are track teeth?with holes and the tooth in the middle has the same, where the track bends around the sprockets they are kind of pre scored between the links so they just bend into shape ,the center road wheel comes with pegs on the rear one so you bring the track ends together and join them over the peg , hole in middle tooth goes over other peg put outer road wheel on top hey presto joined track (hope your sticking with this)then fit rear halfs of road wheels sprockets roller things stick track with middle wheel in place fit front parts of wheels sprockets and hey presto jobs a good un.
I must first apologise for sending you to sleep but also I didn't remember to take pics till nearly to late anyway you'll see what I mean
20210712_174643.jpg
20210712_174909.jpg
20210712_175012.jpg
Will take (HEY YOU YES YOU WAKE UP)some pre and post primer pics soon as till then.....Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Loving this little kit Dave. Have some of the Zvezda snap to fit guns and mortars. Their 1/72 88 is a joy to behold.

ATB.

Andrew

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks Andrew and all the likes, sorry nothing done dont know about you chaps but the hot weather ,working high up on the back of a hotel wich even though the back looks out over the sea and apart for the first couple of hours the rest is in the sun all day ,once home there's not much enthusiasm left for anything else ,I dont think using the ab in this gives me any fears havent lost my love for the build just the will to carry on ,I think quite a few must be on board the same boat drifting in the doldrums as site has been relatively quiet, supposedly cooler next week so till then stay safe all . Dave.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
How good to hear that the recent Zvezda kits are nice. As you said at the beginning at the price you can't go wrong. Tracks look good. I rather like the look of these Soviet SPGs - look brutish and crude but effective.
Jim

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The heatwave seems to be affecting this side of the world too. I'm sloshing away on my seat trying to build my dio.
Great work on the tracks Dave. I like how the snap fit of the road wheels will assist when painting the tracks.

Cheers,
Richard

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Morning all despite the heat stopping play the other half has worked from home Wednesday onwards so gave up the work bench anyway so nothing lost. So Friday pm helped pack up boris's stuff and yay got the bench /spray booth back so set up this morning.
20210724_100846.jpg
20210724_100921.jpg
So here she is ready for primer ,I cant heap enough praise on this little kit from Zvezda everything about it is just spot on I dont like to say it but a lot of people will ignore this purely because of the manufacturer on the box ,still a conversation for another day.
20210724_101421.jpg
And so on to the primer im not going to get embroiled in this one except to say mig one shot black thinned with mr hobby aqueous thinner probably more than fifty fifty shot through a sub thirty pound airbrush at ? Well the gauge says just under twenty but when you let the air through it drops to about fifteen. Seems another product people don't like for some reason or aren't prepared to give it a proper try out ,still another topic for another day.
20210724_103937.jpg
20210724_103921.jpg
So there we have it as I said want to try out something else on this one so might go on the tube of you in a mo watch it again and maybe try out later today, till then stay safe all. Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Certainly looks clean and detailed when the paint is on doesn’t it.