Takom 1/72 D9R

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Firstly I hope I've picked the correct section for this. Being armoured I figured this was the best fit.

I don't think Takom do this as a stand alone model, it came with an M1070 & trailer kit that arrived today

2023-07-28 13.43.39.jpg

The above box contains 10 sprues in all, a few larger items like the trucks cab & chassis, 2 packs of rubber tyre, decals and a small fret of PE. Plenty to go at!

I'm saving the truck parts in case I want to enter it into Pete's GB so here is what you get for the dozer

2023-07-28 17.02.11.jpg

There's is another sprue of tiny parts but I missed it at first. I thought it was marked E, but turns out to be an M on its side :upside:

Nice crisp detail for 1/72, although some of the sprue gates seem relatively large and plentiful

2023-07-28 17.02.24.jpg

2023-07-28 17.02.37.jpg

And some of the parts are just plain tiny! :nerd:

2023-07-28 17.20.02.jpg

Tracks are mostly complete thank goodness, but have a cracking mould line right down the centre that I'm finding tricky to remove. Mud may be my savour there!

2023-07-28 17.56.03.jpg

And with a bit of dry fitting it's already starting to look like a bulldozer

2023-07-28 18.55.43.jpg

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hello Andy,
This looks like a fun build. I would titn the clear parts for the cab with a thin blue coating, the real thickness of the glass makes them look that colour (it will also hide the bare interior).
Chair in place ready for more.
Mike.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Mike, I was thinking of a blue or green tint sprayed on the inside.

It would be easier to do while they are all still on the sprue but I can't yet figure out which is back or front :smiling5: They have moulded both the inner and outer frames onto the transparencies making it tricky to decide!

I'll get back to that one later in the build I think.

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I think I've seen this built in 1/35 somewhere. It will be interesting to see your smaller version. Looks to be a nice kit with good detail. Just don't cough or sneeze anywhere near those tiny parts.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yes Jim, Mike did an amazing build with the bar armour a couple of years back. Or someone with a similar name did anyway ;)

Obviously mine won't be in that kind of league buts it's a great reference for colours etc

Talking of small parts, I can't see all of these grab handles surviving since they are smaller than the attachment points :smiling5:

2023-07-29 12.44.58.jpg

I have the ripper built as a sub assembly though (23 parts) and it dry fits pretty well

2023-07-29 12.43.04.jpg

2023-07-29 12.43.37.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice.
I was tempted by the 1/35 but then I looked at the shelves.... Bugger!
This little one looks rather nice but I will settle for watching you build your one.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks a very clean moulding, apart as you say about the tracks Andy.

I'll grab a seat now please.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Gulp! I forgot this comes with the transporter. That makes it expensive for a passing fancy, but it's still lurking around at the back of my mind. Maybe when I see what the transporter build is like ....

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Paul & John.

Yes it's well detailed for such a small kit. Interior is surprisingly good! I'm finding some of the smaller parts taxing but it's forcing me to slow down and take more care.

I'm sure there are loads of hydraulic hoses I could add but we'll see :smiling5:

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Paul & John.

Yes it's well detailed for such a small kit. Interior is surprisingly good! I'm finding some of the smaller parts taxing but it's forcing me to slow down and take more care.

I'm sure there are loads of hydraulic hoses I could add but we'll see :smiling5:
Go on you know you want to , think how good it will look ;)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm more worried about how it will look flying across the shed when I've launched it in frustration :smiling3:

About a dozen pipes to fit in a volume smaller than a sugar cube. What could possibly go wrong lol?
Er, on that point about the size think your right . Fire would be my choice ;)

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Interestingly complex paint job required here methinks!
Steve
Looks that way Steve.

I still haven't decided whether to go heavily chipped / damaged, or keep the paintwork fairly fresh. Much less work in the latter but I'll see how it goes.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Yes Jim, Mike did an amazing build with the bar armour a couple of years back. Or someone with a similar name did anyway ;)

Obviously mine won't be in that kind of league buts it's a great reference for colours etc

Talking of small parts, I can't see all of these grab handles surviving since they are smaller than the attachment points :smiling5:

View attachment 487224

I have the ripper built as a sub assembly though (23 parts) and it dry fits pretty well

View attachment 487228

View attachment 487229
20220213_110524.jpg
There you go, instant reference material, and thanks for the kind comment.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Thanks Paul & John.

In this scale I would use lead wire for the hoses, lot more control over them.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
In this scale I would use lead wire for the hoses, lot more control over them.
Funny you should say that Mike. Never one to shy away from a challenge, I had an attempt this morning with 0.4mm lead wire. I can't say I'm overly impressed with the result but damned pleased that I even managed something :smiling5:

Once the glue has cured I'll go back in for some clean up and faff with the hose positioning a bit.

2023-07-30 10.30.45.jpg

And thanks for the picture