Takom 1/72 D9R

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Great job with that lead wire, Andy... and it's 1/72, fact that could be easily forgotten looking at the pics. :thumb2:
I bet you won't neither toss it in frustration or burn it down.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That's a great looking kit Andy with some nice crisp detail, I take my hat off to you tackling this in 1/72

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Mick. Yes, it's surprisingly detailed for it's size. I can't wait to have a go at the truck.

Sorry everyone, more pics :smiling5:

Construction is complete for now. I've left it in a few sub assemblies but once ive got some paint into the hard to reach areas I'll put it all together for final paint & weathering.

2023-07-30 17.57.58.jpg

I've masked the outer windows and sprayed the inner face with a blue/green mix to give it that thick glass look hopefully. I didn't want to go overboard as the interior is quite detailed so wanted it at least partly visible.

2023-07-30 18.29.29.jpg

The instructions would have you build the cab then fit it to the chassis but I wasn't born yesterday so constructed it in situ to make sure everything lined up correctly. Good job as it needed a bit of fettling, probably more down to me than the kit though. It's still removable so that I can paint the interior.

To that end I've roughly masked the outside of the window openings. I also had to replace some of the kit grab handles (pretty much as expected). Not to the standards of some but at least they're present.

2023-07-30 18.35.04.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks good Andy. It's gone together quickly. The hoses have worked well. I do like the window tinting.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Jim.

I had a weekend of gardening planned but the weather decided differently, so I hunkered down in the shed instead.

• Sad
Reactions: JR

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks gents.

Once I get my teeth into something I can't let go Pete! :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
At least that means you actually finish models :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
At least that means you actually finish models :smiling3:
Well, almost lol

I think I've got half a dozen that are about 99% finished but I don't feel they are quite ready for a "completed" post :smiling5:

Last edited:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Funny you should say that Mike. Never one to shy away from a challenge, I had an attempt this morning with 0.4mm lead wire. I can't say I'm overly impressed with the result but damned pleased that I even managed something :smiling5:

Once the glue has cured I'll go back in for some clean up and faff with the hose positioning a bit.

View attachment 487320

And thanks for the picture
Once you get some primer and paint on them you will not notice.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Paul & Mick but I suppose I should have said, it was personal choice so it's all good.

I've sold off my business as it was doing my mental health no good. I'm planning a month or so off (more if I can sneak it passed her indoors lol) before I decide what I'm doing next. I have a few irons in the fire but need some time to get myself back together :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've splashed a coat of primer on this and started painting using the new-to-me S M S premium lacquer US Sand Brown. I have to say it sprayed very nicely indeed and may even tempt me away from Mr Color :surprised: Very much like MRP in my opinion, but slightly thicker and more opaque.

I also started to detail paint the interior which isn't going so well. Obviously access is an issue but I still very much struggle to get a decent brush finish with white. I'll crack it with more practice but thankfully not much of this interior will be visible through the small, tinted windows. I'll still try and do my best, even though it'll be hidden, as we do :smiling3:

2023-08-01 19.55.31.jpg

First Name
Andy
Very nice progress Andy, I wish someone would make a non military model of that 'cos I would buy it in a minute. Never driven a high drive D9 but used to drive the previous D9 now and then pushing scrapers.

Andy.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Andy, I bet they were a hoot to drive. A proper big boys Tonka toy.

Reactions: JR