Tamiya 1/16 Machine Gunner

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_4175.JPG

For my next project I thought I'd return to this old favourite. I've made numerous versions of this kit, but seem to only have one in my collection, this Herman Goering Division chap:

100_4179.JPG

I thought I'd have a go at a Stalingrad scenario, as depicted with this Verlinden figure, for which I still have some parts, courtesy of Richard Pearce:

s-l300 (1).jpg100_4176.JPG

The head is a kit head wearing a fur cap which I made for a Finnish figure, now defunct.

The sprue shots:

100_4178.JPG100_4177.JPG

One of the nicest figures in the range. I think that Tamiya's equipment is some of the best at this scale - way above what Dragon has to offer and better than Verlinden's resin offerings.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see the crispness of the parts. As you say a favourite that will be given the PDiddy going over. Good luck

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Does having various materials, resin, plastic, metal create problems with assembly or painting? I know you often mix and match parts.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Thanks for looking in. This should be an enjoyable one.

Jim - Hi. I don't have trouble gluing resin to plastic as I use CA for everything. Heavier cast metal parts like those on the pilot figure can cause a problem though, mainly because they are so much heavier.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice to see that the spares i sent are still useful mate.Ive still got loadsa spares kicking around so i will make sure you are well stocked up.Think ive still got Tamiya equipment around.Totally agree they are very nicely done.Dragon stuff rather soft in detail and clunky.
Now then settle down rabble or no nibbles and beverages!!.
Richard.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I’ll be sitting in on this one Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - That last box of spares went a very long way, thank you. I've put the rusks out for John and Steve.....

Lee- Welcome aboard my man.

All cleaned up, partially built and ready for painting:

100_4180.JPG

I'm going to have him more or less as the Verlinden figure - standing by the food container and slicing into some bratwurst with his bayonet. I've given him a Soviet PPSh and ammo pouch and prepared quite a lot of gear, not all of which is going to fit.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

I'm going to do a face painting tutorial with my next bust.

Thank you, it will be well worth following.

And another great head and fur hat.

Should be another super figure and an SBS too.

Its going to be a big week with my return to work and a glimpse behind the curtain of your figure/bust painting

Hope its a good day with the paint, very cold up North

Regards

Steve H

Reactions: JR

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Mike - I'm going to do a face painting tutorial with my next bust. Same principles apply at all scales.

Well hurry up man, i have a spitfire cockpit with a headless Douglas Bader sitting in it :smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling: (not quite but nearly the last thing to paint )

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Steve H - I hope the return to work isn't too traumatic - no huge piles building up on your desk while you've been away.

Steve B - I will do the face painting SBS after this figure, I promise!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Excellent as always. Looking forward to your tutorial it is one area where I really struggle.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Scottie. This one's like visiting an old friend.

Re: the tutorial, I did do a couple for MM, though of course they are now sadly lost. They're quite hard to do as I don't really have a set method of working and remembering to stop and take photos hurts my brain.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Scottie. This one's like visiting an old friend.

Re: the tutorial, I did do a couple for MM, though of course they are now sadly lost. They're quite hard to do as I don't really have a set method of working and remembering to stop and take photos hurts my brain.
Can you get some one to video over your shoulder to show your method of paint application and blending?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice to see that the spares i sent are still useful mate.Ive still got loadsa spares kicking around so i will make sure you are well stocked up.Think ive still got Tamiya equipment around.Totally agree they are very nicely done.Dragon stuff rather soft in detail and clunky.
Now then settle down rabble or no nibbles and beverages!!.
Richard.

Another load of kit arrives at Peters.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bit late , heavy snow forecast at RaceTowers, had to walk to the bus station.
Does Steve suffer from piles , poor chap never knew that

Rusk , yes please, and a coco if possible Peter.
Love the great coat ,I could do with that tomorrow.
John.