Tamiya 1/24 ASTON MARTIN DBS mini blog

F

Fenlander

Getting the final finish is the key to these models isn't it. I know that military stuff needs to be finished well but bikes, cars and lorries etc need that hi gloss yet in scale gloss finish or it just doesn't look right. Have to say that on the Honda, I switched to using Humbrol rattle can gloss white acrylic which gave me a great finish, once I stopped dropping it in the dirt.... Anyway, as the Honda has all the decals for the colouring over the white, it looked great after 2 hours doing the decals. However, I knew that I would have to spray a gloss finish if only to protect the huge decals. I decided to try Tamiya Clear as I knew it would be safe over the Humbrol acrylic. It dries a matt finish though which has suprised me as I understood that Tamiya X rather than XF were glossy. So I still have to get the gloss finish back but as it is over decals, I have not many chances of getting it right. I have read on t'internet that Halfords clear lacquer (also mentioned in Zero's own guidance as above) is good but I am not sure.

Interestingly, I have just read this quote from TimB on Promodellers regarding Zero glosscoat:

NB. Don't be conned by "prethinned" It requires at least a 60%-40% mix in favour of cellulose/laquer thinners.

M

m1ks

The Tamiya stuff should give you a gloss finish, you'd use X21 flat base mixed to give it a satin or matte sheen.

Did you spray it as a wet coat?

Now having said this i've only brushed Tamiya clear so far but provided it's laid on wet it does dry gloss.

F

Fenlander

I sprayed it as normal but I may not have thinned it enough which could have resulted in it drying as it hit. Will try a thinner wet coat and see what happens. Thanks for the info Mike.

R

Richy C

Hi Graham , I`ve also heard great things about Halfords clear lacquer I was tempted but am put put off not having any control over the pressure given out with a spraycan , tbh the zero clearcoat was not that bad just that I did not clean up the wash properly otherwise I would have been happyish with the finnish , also it did not have a high gloss finnish I was expecting maybe I was me , was not sure what to expect , anyway as you have said the final coat either makes or brakes a model , the 3 pack polish worked a treat but once in the panel lines you could not get it out ,

we are both trying new things here and the great thing is we are trying to set high standards to the best of our abilities , its a great learning curve even when things go belly up , at one stage I thought I`d lost the DBS but I`m not giving up and slowly getting it back to the standard I want it to be, might even give the zero clear another go ?

Richy

F

Fenlander

Given the comments from Mike about the Tamiya Clear, I will be trying that again with a different mix to get a 'wet' coat. I was going to get a can of the Halfords today but was that excited at getting two new mags and a compass cutter from Hobbycraft, I forgot........... Anyway, if the Tamiya Clear does not give the results tonight, I will be off to Halfords tomorrow praying it does not melt the paint and clear I have already sprayed.

As you say, we are trying out new stuff and what a bonus to be able to share it on here. I just hope that our joint experiments and results will be of use to others when they have a go at a bike or car.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If all else fails, try Vallejos gloss varnish. That gives a good finish and is water based so should be safe over everything.

OR Humbrol Clear coat glossy. That has an anti yellowing agent in it as well. Quite a good idea on a white subject, as yellowing is often quite noticable,

Ian M

R

Richy C

Hi Guys , slowly getting there , managed to get the bodywork looking ok again after going over the whole thing with a fine sanding stick and gave it a few colour coats , still got the clear coat to do and will try the zero clear again , underside chassis is done now my weathering instincts got the better off me , hope you like it.

any comments good or bad are welcome

cheers lads

Richy

View attachment 16347View attachment 16346View attachment 16349View attachment 16348

View attachment 24491

View attachment 24492

View attachment 24493

View attachment 24494

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi richy , keep at it mate! i just know its going to look gorgeous when its done, cheers tony

F

Fenlander

That underside, the exhaust system in particular looks stunning. As tony said, it is going to be gorgeous Richy.

B

bikerbart

You have that underside looking amazing...i love it, this is a great thread to follow of this brilliant model, congratulations so far on some brilliant model making, Regards Martin.

R

Richy C

Cheers guys , Graham must say I could not get a proper picture of the exhaust as much as I tried - too the naked eye it looks a lot better the alclad violet - yellow - and blue look great but being a 1/24 scale I struggled with a 0.5mm ab setup I ended up going over it a few times with light coats of tamiya titanium gold and silver and then a very light MIG dark wash and now it looks ok , I got this Yamaha cheap off eBay which has been washed primmed grey and white ready to go might even start it tomorrow before the football starts , being a 1/12 I can`t wait to have a go with the alclads on the exhaust , its tricky but gives amazing results if you get it right,

Richy

View attachment 16357

View attachment 24495

IMG_3702.jpg

X

xlpainter

hi have you thought about going to the local car paint supplier and getting him to mix you a can of basecoat colour and a tin of clear coat its two pack thats how i paint my cars they are all bmw's just use halford plastic primer before seeing as its 2k lacquer you are using try giving the body a light flat with 1500 grit and polish with t-cut and that will make it shine ou can do the same with halfords spray can lacquer and that gives a brilliant shine its how i do small repairs on real cars to blend repairs

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That Aston looks superb. A real professional build you must be chuffed to bits with that.

Very well done mate.

Paul

P

Plastickitbasher

That DBS is just stunning, I just hope that I can do justice to mine when I get one

B

bikerbart

Hiya Richard, both the car and bike are looking superb mate, credit to ya, regards Martin :smiling:

G

garethm

Hi Richard,they both look great, must see when finished. Keep gluing.

Gareth.

F

Fenlander

The Aston is coming along very nicely Richy, great work on the dry brushing in the engine compartment. The bike exhaust looks stunning, is the 'Can' textured for carbon fibre or have you used CF decal?

R

Richy C

Thanks guys , its a cf decal that comes with the kit Graham I`m happy with the finnish but it took a while mind you , started with tamiya chrome then alcad blue then alclad hot violet then feathered in tamiya titanium silver then feathered in titanium gold finnished with a coat of tamiya smoke and a light mig dark wash , all done with an airbrush

Richy

F

Fenlander

Mmmm, very nice, and comprehensive, work Richy, love the look of that. I think it is time you did a full tutorial ;)