Tamiya 1/35 Sherman M4A3E8 Update 5-29-16

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Time for the next project. This one is Tamiya's 1/35 Sherman M4A3E8. This is a new tool kit that just came out in 2015.

I am thinking this build report will be a little more compact than my previous ones. I have already built quite a bit of this kit, and in typical Tamiya fashion, it is going together with no problems. But, first, I will do a quick review of the kit.

This is a new tool kit, and it is evident by the condition of the plastic. Tamiya has done a splendid job placing the ejector marks in inconspicuous spots. Notable exceptions are hatch interiors. However, the ejector marks are very shallow and easily remove with light sanding. Seam lines are very faint and also easily removed with either light sanding or a quick swipe of the hobby knife.

All parts are very crisply molded, and the detail is very good. One thing I will note here is a lack of photo etch (PE) parts. I like PE and have built kits using it, but I don't really think PE is necessary on some kits. This kit is one. The detail is nice and I don't think it lacks in detail because of it. I think sometimes kit manufacturers add PE just for the sake of adding it.

Here is the box top.

20160325_194939_zpswxtmh1c3.jpg

This is the first time I have built a kit with a multi-piece lower hull tub...

20160325_195205_001_zpslmucy1uk.jpg

...but it went together flawlessly.

20160325_201034_zps50v7miwc.jpg

The transmission cover has some small parts for the tow points, but again, no problems.

20160325_203146_zpskofispqr.jpg

Rear plate, same thing.

20160326_181720_zpsqipdrqrz.jpg

Tub is complete. The next step is to attach the idler wheel mounts. I have opted to wait on these since there is a bit of adjustment available. This way I can make sure the tracks will have proper tension when it comes to that point.

20160328_175607_zpsanesztv1.jpg

This has been the most tedious part so far (as wheels usually are). Here you can see the seam line that has to be sanded off. Boooring...

20160328_185338_zpsxeg5galj.jpg

I thought I had some photos of the suspension parts, but apparently not. Here is a shot of the bogies installed.

20160331_182543_zps67np8nwd.jpg

So, that's it for now. More to come.

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start on this one,Brett,should be a good build, ;)

D

dubster72

I've never built a Sherman, so this will be an interesting one to watch. Good work so far Brett

F

Fenlander

This is interesting Brett as it looks like I will be getting a Sherman for a dio I have planned. I must admit, waits for boos and calls to 'ban him', but I don't like Shermans. Only 1/35 I have done is a couple of IDF versions when I started an IDF project. Would this one fit into the Battle of the Bulge time scale?

J

John Rixon

Looking good Brett, I've recently built this kit, after my tiger, and was planning to paint it during the Diamond Wrecker build, but the Wrecker is a proper challenge, and is absorbing all of my time at the moment!

The Easy Eight kit is brilliant, goes togetjer very easily and, as you say, needs no aftermarket really! Looking forward to seeing yours go together.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
This is interesting Brett as it looks like I will be getting a Sherman for a dio I have planned. I must admit, waits for boos and calls to 'ban him', but I don't like Shermans. Only 1/35 I have done is a couple of IDF versions when I started an IDF project. Would this one fit into the Battle of the Bulge time scale?
Late 1944, so I'd say yes! And it's a proper treat to build :smiling3:

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

\ said:
From what I have read they were at the Battle of the Bulge. I will look in a Sherman book I have and see if there are any photos.

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Now that things have settled down a bit, I can start posting again on this project.

So, where I left off was the completion of the hull assembly. I put everything together except the wheels and tools which will be painted later after the base coat and lower hull weathering is done. What is nice about this kit, is the way the upper and lower hull go together. As you can see in the photo below, it just fits together without cement, so if it needs to be taken apart for some reason (painting, touch up, weathering, etc.) it can be done easily.

Here it is together.

Another set of parts I left off for now are the spare track links. After I cut them off the sprue, I cleaned them up, which brings me to an interesting point. As you can see in the photo below, there is a mold line on the edge of the track link...

In the photo behind the kit link, the real track had this mold line as well. I am glad I checked because normally I would have scraped it off.

To add a little to accuracy, I drill out the pin holes in the links.

The next steps are for assembly of the turret.

I cemented the upper and lower halves of the turret together. Along the join line there was a pretty significant seam. In researching the turret online and in a reference I have, I discovered that although not as defined and sharp as the one on the kit, there is a casting seam in the same spot on the real turret. The casting mark varies from turret to turret, but it must have been machined or cut smooth(er) at the factory. The photos I tried to recreate show a somewhat rough seam line showing vertical striations due to the cleanup process. I applied a small amount of Tamiya putty to the seam and after it cured for a day, I sanded it with a coarser than normal sanding stick to simulate the rough-cut texture.

Here is a photo of the applied putty. I will point out the finished result in my next post (I forgot to take a photo).

Here is the turret with the remaining parts attached (except those that will be added after paint).

I left the commanders cupola off for paint so I can install the vision blocks later. To keep things clean for a good bond when I cement the parts together, I cut a disc to fit the turret where the cupola goes and stuck the cupola to some tape on a piece of cardboard.

And here it is primed.

Next time... paint.

J

John Rixon

Looking good Brett. Would this be a good time to kick off a debate about Olive Drab? ;)

I'm just ahead of you on my build, but went to a vintage car rally last week, and there were a fair load of U.S. Vee Hickles there, all Olive Drab, all different, and by default, all correct!

istock_can-of-worms.jpg

F

Fenlander

Looking good, might get me to build a Sherman after all.

Looking good Brett. Would this be a good time to kick off a debate about Olive Drab? ;)

I'm just ahead of you on my build, but went to a vintage car rally last week, and there were a fair load of U.S. Vee Hickles there, all Olive Drab, all different, and by default, all correct!

Funny you should bring this up John, and apologies to Brett if I am hijacking his great thread.

I have reached the point on my M4 High Speed Tractor today and I had bought the Mig Ammo set with Olive drab base, wash and streaking grime.  On opening the pack and giving the paint a good shake, I almost panicked as it looked brown and I thought it should be green (I don't do much American stuff).  Anyway, I went ahead and sprayed some parts so I could close up the interior and it looks great!  A lot browner than I thought it would be but it really fits the bill.  I am glad I bought the set as left to my own devices, it would have been dark green.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim

Don't know why you would shun the Sherman Graham unless there was something about the construction itself that would give you offence. While certainly not one of the best tanks of the era one can not devalue it's war winning record. The great industrial capacity of the USA in turning it's automobile plants to produce the Sherman definitely turned the tides of war. Please give the old girl her due for sometimes quantity does overcome quantity and thank God for that....Oh and great start on this iconic war hero, can't wait to see her done and glad to hear you are getting back into the groove Brett ;) ( thought you were Charley, I'm a bit confused, please excuse my ignorance).......Jim :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice progress on this one,looking good,

and a very nice added touch with the tracks,as well, :smiling3:

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Don't know why you would shun the Sherman Graham unless there was something about the construction itself that would give you offence. While certainly not one of the best tanks of the era one can not devalue it's war winning record. The great industrial capacity of the USA in turning it's automobile plants to produce the Sherman definitely turned the tides of war. Please give the old girl her due for sometimes quantity does overcome quantity and thank God for that....Oh and great start on this iconic war hero, can't wait to see her done and glad to hear you are getting back into the groove Brett ;) ( thought you were Charley, I'm a bit confused, please excuse my ignorance).......Jim :smiling3:

I am Charley and Brett. CharleyGnarlyP290 is my screen name and is in reference to my BMX racing days in the early '80s. My real name is Brett.

As far as olive drab goes, it always seems to be a topic of heated discussion. Looking at real vehicles of the modern military, one can see that even though they may be generally the same color, they look different upon closer inspection. I have read that color batches can differ greatly from batch to batch and manufacturer to manufacturer. They range from brown, as mentioned above, to green.

I figure that the color in the bottle I am using at the time is the color that is correct... next bottle, same thing. And it doesn't matter that much in reality because once a vehicle gets weathered and such, it isn't going to look anything near like the paint that came out of the bottle.

Pretty close is good enough for me!

F

Fenlander

I have every respect for the Sherman as a tank and it is indisputable what the type achieved during the War.  It is just that I find it boring as a model unless it is something a tad different.  I feel the same about Spitfires and I know somebody who feels the same about Tigers!  Just one of those things

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have every respect for the Sherman as a tank and it is indisputable what the type achieved during the War.  It is just that I find it boring as a model unless it is something a tad different.  I feel the same about Spitfires and I know somebody who feels the same about Tigers!  Just one of those things

Well Graham gladly the design has lent itself to many versions and conversions so hopefully one day you will find a certain vehicle that will pique your interest and you might see yourself building one......Cheers...Jim :smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I am Charley and Brett. CharleyGnarlyP290 is my screen name and is in reference to my BMX racing days in the early '80s. My real name is Brett.

As far as olive drab goes, it always seems to be a topic of heated discussion. Looking at real vehicles of the modern military, one can see that even though they may be generally the same color, they look different upon closer inspection. I have read that color batches can differ greatly from batch to batch and manufacturer to manufacturer. They range from brown, as mentioned above, to green.

I figure that the color in the bottle I am using at the time is the color that is correct... next bottle, same thing. And it doesn't matter that much in reality because once a vehicle gets weathered and such, it isn't going to look anything near like the paint that came out of the bottle.

Pretty close is good enough for me!

I've always been a bit amused at some folks obsessions with "exact color nomenclatures" which I feel is more 'manufacturers selling points' than absolute accuracy. I use very inexpensive acrylics an mix my own colors to as you say "good enough for me" standards. ;) ......Jim :smiling3:

L

liberator61

The construction of the hull looks as if it might be used for easy accses say for installing a motorised option, just a thought