Tamiya 1/350 KGV plus extras

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
For things like the boats Bob, I’ve always just blue tacked them down, sprayed one side, then when it’s dry turned it over and sprayed the other side……failing that, they aren’t that big, so brush paint them…..
Cheers Tim, had another ureka thought, using ca to stick a cut down cocktail stick inside the hull! My god my brain nows overheating

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Started on some of the railings, a lot have to be added with the superstructure in place which is a pain,so worked on main battery turrets.

20230228_154906.jpg20230228_154847.jpg20230228_154832.jpg
Not bad me thinks, thankfully getting better using a glue looper. Biggest problem I have is cleaning up the nubs on the railings. Often find I distort the railings. I use a Tamiya diamond file which may be too hard??

Not too good on the rear turret
20230228_155654.jpg
Still having issues putting bends in the railings. Find one side is slightly longer on one side, bugger. One for more practice. But worse, I removed and cleaned up the rear railing and it's vanished. Will have to turn the room inside out.

Over a yr now, far, far too long

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Started on some of the railings, a lot have to be added with the superstructure in place which is a pain,so worked on main battery turrets.

View attachment 475512View attachment 475513View attachment 475514
Not bad me thinks, thankfully getting better using a glue looper. Biggest problem I have is cleaning up the nubs on the railings. Often find I distort the railings. I use a Tamiya diamond file which may be too hard??

View attachment 475515
Still having issues putting bends in the railings. Find one side is slightly longer on one side, bugger. One for more practice. But worse, I removed and cleaned up the rear railing and it's vanished. Will have to turn the room inside out.

See what you mean Bob.... Can't be easy at that scale though.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

View attachment 475512View attachment 475513View attachment 475514

View attachment 475515

Coming on nicely Bob. But you do have to bear in mind a big boat like that is a complex subject and will take a lot of time. A yr or so seems on the money to me.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I used to used a diamond file but found if it was quite a large lump to clean off it could catch and tug at it, now i use a 800 sanding stick or even a 2000 if its a very small bit and only sand in one direction.
Railings must be awkward to clean up due to their fragility. To stop them distorting you need to grip them all the way along. All I can suggest is a good quality smooth jawed vice and feed it through as you go. It is paramount that the jaws meet properly and hold the railing evenly all the way along. If they are a bit loose the metal can snag and distort. I would use a good quality (Valorbe swiss or equivalent, not a Chinese cheapy) number 4 needle file and drag file, (pull the file at ninety degrees along the length), rather than file across the piece.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
See what you mean Bob.... Can't be easy at that scale though.....
You are bang on the money Andrew, I would faint at the thought of 1/700!!

Rather you than me Bob but looking good.
Man of your superb skills Paul, walk in the park lol
I used to used a diamond file but found if it was quite a large lump to clean off it could catch and tug at it, now i use a 800 sanding stick or even a 2000 if its a very small bit and only sand in one direction.
Good idea, thanks Mark, sound advice and of course appreciated!
Coming on nicely Bob. But you do have to bear in mind a big boat like that is a complex subject and will take a lot of time. A yr or so seems on the money to me.
Thinking about about the time Tim, Julie was diagnosed in May so of course modelling came a very, very distance priority. I use a pair of flat nosed pliers to grip but might have a look at a vice as long as it's not big and expensive! Thanks for the info

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bob you have done good boyo on that p/e in my opinion as your first pic is nice an clear but the orthers are a bit fuzzy are you get camera shake when you push the button ? but well done boyo
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Chris, not the best with a few things and cameras is one lol

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Bob, thought I should show up after a day off !
Looks ok to me , anyway as you say a year in which you had far more important things to thing about think you've done well to even carry on .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
(Bob qoute)
AN Bob mate your work on the kgv is stunning to me an why worry if its over a yr AS Tim has said seems on the money as remember like Tim says these ships are complex an not for the fainthearted as look at my tiger i know its near finshed but that took 4 yrs an yes i know there is a little bit more to it like wires an movin parts but thats all the enjoyment of the build an at least you dont have to worry about liftin your ships not like me OH DEAR
BUT you boyo keep up the good work an pics comin as im enjoyin both your builds
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening Bob, thought I should show up after a day off !
Looks ok to me , anyway as you say a year in which you had far more important things to thing about think you've done well to even carry on .
Thank you John, slow but steady with the regular mistake lol
(Bob qoute)

AN Bob mate your work on the kgv is stunning to me an why worry if its over a yr AS Tim has said seems on the money as remember like Tim says these ships are complex an not for the fainthearted as look at my tiger i know its near finshed but that took 4 yrs an yes i know there is a little bit more to it like wires an movin parts but thats all the enjoyment of the build an at least you dont have to worry about liftin your ships not like me OH DEAR
BUT you boyo keep up the good work an pics comin as im enjoyin both your builds
chrisb
Cheers Chris

Hope to finish both soon as want to start on Musahi!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Bob boyo any more pics as im dyin to see whats next on both your builds
chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You got this Bob.
Re the tabs on PE. I found that a very fine scissors great for removing the most of those. A quick swipe with a 800grit takes the last. I also hold the part in my bending pliers.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Not a lot sorry Chris, been looking at pages and pages of decking! My god the choice. Malcolm our builder is cover over next week to measure up so we need to pick what we want, doing my head in and to add having a lot of garden work done so that to sort out as well!!

You got this Bob.
Re the tabs on PE. I found that a very fine scissors great for removing the most of those. A quick swipe with a 800grit takes the last. I also hold the part in my bending pliers.
Thanks Ian, help always appreciated.