Tamiya 1/48 Me262 - Comments welcome.

S

Scuff

Kit manufacture: Tamiya

Scale: 1/48

Type: Me262 A1a

Extras used: Sweat and tears, oh and plenty of torn out hair :smiling:

Paints and colours used: Vallejo matt clear coat. Lakeland clear floor polish.

Other info: Full build is here : *Full build click here.

Wow, what a mix of emotions. This is my first kit for 35 years, some frustration yet lots of enjoyment have ended with this Tamiya Me262 A1a.

I watched many of the tutorials and builds on this site, before I started. I was truly impressed with what you guys have done, and wanted to try and produce a kit worthy of showing.

Anyway, here are some details. This was an out of the box build. I used Tamiya paints and thinners, Tamiya extra thin glue as well as PVA for the clear parts. Filling and finishing was carried out with Mr Dissolved Putty and thick SuperGlue. Lakeland clear floor polish was used or the clear parts and sealing for decals and weathering. I used a cheap airbrush from eBay (£20) which was dual action with adjustment for line thickness and pressure regulation on the brush itself.

I made many basic errors during the build, learning new techniques, equipment and materials was always going to be taxing though. I must admit that I enjoyed the whole process thoroughly.

I have tried to follow fairly closely, the instructions for the particular aircraft, but there are obviously some errors there. I am greatly looking forward to my next build, I will hopefully will produce a better result with my newly learned basic skills.

For the photographers out there, the images were taken with a Canon 1Ds2 slr fitted with a 90mm Tilt-Shift lens. A large softbox was fitted to a single studio flash unit, the exposure was set at 1/125sec. at f32. The images were shot in raw and processed with Adobe Lightroom and output to jpeg for this post through Mogrify.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for being an inspiration. :smiling:

Regards

Scuff

GTMedia Services

FlickrR: Flickr: GTMedia's Photostream

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Welcome to the forum and straight to the top of the class with this build. First build in 35 years, well you haven't lost the touch ! a 5 * build indeed.

Colin M......

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Welcome to the forum Scuff and as Colin said above. For a first build in 35 years then that is class. I'd be proud to have that on my shelf.

First Name
Dave
Fantastic build scuff.Superb paint job.Just goes to show if you have the skill you dont need a mega expensive airbrush to achieve a first class finish.

S

snapper41

First for 35 years? I don't believe you!! lol; a fantastic piece - well done.

S

Scuff

Thanks Dave.

The airbrushing was masses of trial and error as I had never done any before. So I was groping in the dark a bit. But once I had sussed out setting the thing up, it started to come good. There are many many coats of paint on the model :smiling3:

S

Scuff

Thans Snapper, just ask the wife, she nearly reported me missing to the police! :smiling3:

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cracking build Scuff.

Very nice indeed. Coupled with the great pictures it all makes for a first class job.....

Oh, and a warm welcome to the forum. All we need now is your name, then we don't have to be formal!lol

Cheers,

Ron

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
An outstanding build (by the way whats your first name as we tend to be on first name terms on the forum) it looks like you've had 35 years of practice. Well done I'm looking forward to seeing your next build.

Vaughan

S

Scuff

\ said:
Cracking build Scuff. Very nice indeed. Coupled with the great pictures it all makes for a first class job.....

Oh, and a warm welcome to the forum. All we need now is your name, then we don't have to be formal!lol

Cheers,

Ron
Thanks for the welcome Ron, you can all call me Graham.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome Graham. That's a cracking model to make a comeback with. Very well done. Can I ask if Tamiya's instructions show the scissor on the front undercarriage leg?

For anyone interested the aircraft Graham has modelled was a 'reject' used to train pilots of JV 44. About 10% of Me262s were rejected for one reason or another and marked with the large letter S. They were rejected for any observed structural problems or if they would not exceed 510 mph in level flight. It is thought that the panels marked with a red A4 had been observed to have some form of structural defect during testing.

Cheers

Steve

S

Scuff

\ said:
Welcome Graham. That's a cracking model to make a comeback with. Very well done. Can I ask if Tamiya's instructions show the scissor on the front undercarriage leg?For anyone interested the aircraft Graham has modelled was a 'reject' used to train pilots of JV 44. About 10% of Me262s were rejected for one reason or another and marked with the large letter S. They were rejected for any observed structural problems or if they would not exceed 510 mph in level flight. It is thought that the panels marked with a red A4 had been observed to have some form of structural defect during testing.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks for the history Steve, it makes the finished article that much more interesting.

The instructions do not show the 'Scissor' front undercarriage.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi graham , a belated welcome to the forum. Thats a superb build mate, you should be well pleased with the result! I myself am a cheapo airbrush user- 90% of my airbrushing is done with a £16 brush off e-bay !!( thats including £8 postage from hong kong!!!!) And as you have proved they can give results just as good as one ten times the price. Cheers tony

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Graham welcome to the forum first. That is one cracking build of my favourate german plane very well done 5 from me and if you look at the front on photo it seems to have a cheeky grin on its face

A

AJay

Hello Graham!

That's a beauty of a build (5 stars) and great paint-job! Your photos are top notch, too : ) What a great return to the hobby.

P.S. Steve, that's interesting about the reject 262s marked with an 'S'. I'll keep a look out for photos of those.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hey Scuff, really nice 262.

I've been watching your Spit build and must have missed this one.

Tony.

S

Scuff

\ said:
Flawless30 years? Very impressive
Generous praise Andy, thank you. I am so glad that I have rediscovered this hobby. It is forums like this that have made all of these new techniques come to light. For that I genuinely thank you all.

This build does have some niggles, whch I hope to learn from on my current Spitfire build. I strive for perfection but have not yet attained it. Until then I will keep trying and enjoy myself while I am doing so. :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I strive for perfection but have not yet attained it. :smiling3:
Hi again,if you ever do achieve perfection let us know! I've been trying for a long time and still haven't got there :smiling5:

The fun is in the trying,which is just as well.

Cheers

Steve