Tamiya 1/48 P-38 Lightning

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

I've been itching to get started on this since Santa dropped it down the chimney. Thankfully it survived the fall and with the Beaufighter done as a warm up I cracked the box open today.

By all accounts it's a very well engineered kit so providing I don't do anything particularly ham-fisted it should go together well. I doubt I'll have it finished by the end of Ian's Group Build though, hence me posting it separately.

Firstly the box.

7Rk606g.jpg

As usual I doubt I'll be totally historically correct, but I'm aiming to build the F version in a similar colour scheme.

Following the instructions I started at the cockpit. So far the parts have fitted together perfectly, although I left some apart for ease of painting, and assembled them after. Sides were left on the sprue for now so they are easier to handle.

XQvv7Lg.jpg

Decals seem to be settling down nicely, annoying mould line visible at high magnification!

udeUZ5W.jpg

And made a start on some of the detail painting. New glasses are helping tremendously.

6J4VTuA.jpg

btO3dkR.jpg

I've got a busy day tomorrow but hoping to get a bit of dry-brushing done to pop the details out a bit and maybe add a little wear & tear.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Ian.

The fit seems very good indeed. Last night I dry fitted the cockpit sides just to see how it looked and had a devil of a job removing them, everything locks into place so tightly.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Front and centre for me. Being Tamiya the fit should be good as you seem to be finding. Really neat work on the cockpit. New specs certainly have enabled very fine detail painting. Love that instrument panel.
If it goes as well as the Beaufighter you'll have a cracking model.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim. I'm certainly finding things easier now I can see what I'm doing! They don't help much with the wobbly hands though lol

D

Deleted member 7181

Not much progress as I'm a bit under the weather. A few guys at work have been off due to flu like symptoms and I think they've passed it on to me! :rolling:

Cockpit now fitted though, after a bit of light chipping, dry brushing and dirtying up with washes. Seat strangely comes at a later stage.

4YCEmc8.jpg

LTrhazs.jpg

Off to bed now to try and sleep this off :sleeping:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks amazing andy , cheers tony

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The office looks good Andy :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Not much progress as I'm a bit under the weather. A few guys at work have been off due to flu like symptoms and I think they've passed it on to me! :rolling:
Have they recently come back from a trip to China? :smiling3:

Cockpit now fitted though, after a bit of light chipping, dry brushing and dirtying up with washes.
Looking good, and it’s a nice big cockpit opening so you’ll probably even be able to see a decent amount of this effort when the model is done :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks everyone, trying hard to do justice to a great kit.

I hope not Jakko, that doesn't look good!

Feeling a bit better after a nap I decided to jump 40 sections ahead in the instructions and fit the radio gear. I've no idea why they leave it until almost the end as there's no reason I can see for not doing it now (famous last words...)

I could have brush painted this but after cutting some strips of 1mm & 2mm masking tape I think it came out better sprayed.

2UzglIz.jpg

OW2p5oN.jpg

I didn't fancy masking all of the individual radio parts though so they were sprayed in black and the silver bits picked out by brush. Some of them need another coat.

The armour plate behind the pilot is probably the wrong colour but I followed the instructions for a blue/green mix. Seat is loosely fitted as I want to chip & weather it a bit, and may attempt some belts rather than using the kit decal.

NpynTdj.jpg

OXSoWGG.jpg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking to be an excellent representation of this early mark. PaulE

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Excellent work Andy. It's a pity Tamiya chose to represent the two throttles with one that's double the size!
Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the kind words.

Pete, I know aftermarket PE addresses that issue but I didn't want to over complicate things.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Andy bit late sorry, cracking job on cockpit area very neat and tidy:thumb2:.
Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Pete, I'm trying my best.

Cheers Ian. I don't suppose you have any reference shots of the cockpit / radio area do you? I've seen a few, including yourself, add wiring to that area and it seems a nice touch since it'll be quite visible. Could do with something to work off though and all the pictures I have are from ground level.