Tamiya 1/48 Sd.Kfz 251 in allied service as an ambulance.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Quite a while ago I bought this book at a show and to be honest I had forgotten I had it.
P1070387.JPG

It reappeared a few weeks ago during a sort out. I have decided to build an Sd.Kfz. 251 as a captured vehicle converted for use by the allies as an ambulance.
P1070388.JPG
From my bit of research it seems that these German half-tracks were well thought of and a few were captured and pressed into service by the allies.

The base kit will be this Tamiya 1/48 kit. I have built a few of these 1/48 Tamiya kits and I rather like them.
P1070386.JPG

This is what you get in the box.
P1070389.JPG

P1070390.JPG

P1070391.JPG

I also treated myself to some 3D decals for the cab. They look very small but very nice.
P1070393.JPG

The only alterations needed will be some interior work to accommodate a couple of stretchers, which will need scratching, and some hoops with a canvas cover. I'll also change the rear doors to an open position.

I have some figures on order which should be easy to convert to US medical personal. I've also bought the necessary MRP paints

I hope some of you may find this of interest. The missus is baking buns and getting out the best china as we speak :smiling:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have decided to build an Sd.Kfz. 251 as a captured vehicle converted for use by the allies as an ambulance.
That vehicle was one I was considering building from my Dragon 1:35 scale kit last year, but eventually decided on something else. I don’t think it’s a vehicle converted by the Allies to an ambulance, but rather, that it’s an Sd.Kfz. 251/8 mittlerer Krankenwagenpanzer (approx. “medium armoured ambulance”) with some quick American markings added. Here is the photo that your colour artwork is based on:

trof_s10.jpg

You can see that the vehicle doesn’t have the curved “rail” on the front roof, which indicates it had no machine-gun mounting there either, and that points to this being a /8 rather than a /1.

The problem for the modeller is that the /8 had a very different interior from the /1, due to the need to carry stretchers with wounded:

251c8_int_fromdoors_manual.jpg
(source)

This is an Ausf. C, but the D would not have differed a lot. I notice there’s a thread on Britmodeller about converting one in 1:35th scale, which may give you inspiration for how to do the same for yours? I also converted one as a wargames model in 1:72 some years ago, though not with as much detail, of course.

OTOH, the quick option would be to assume it is a /1 that the Americans used as an ambulance — then you could just keep the existing interior :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks for your interest guys :thumb2:

Jakko - once again thanks for your ability to find reference photos and for sharing your knowledge. Genuinely appreciated. I have the second photo but not the first. It does seem that the vehicle in question was an ambulance before falling into allied hands. I think I'm going to go with a compromise and build a vehicle which MIGHT have existed seeing as how a few 251s were pressed into allied service. I will leave the left hand bench seat as is. Apart from the solid end it is ok. I will cut out the right hand bench seat and cobble up some sort of rack to take two stretchers. The 251/8 photo shows the rack suspended from the roof(?). I think I'll go with a "possible US DIY" rack. I cant really use the seat base as a stretcher carrier as it slopes. Depending on how much space there is I may include a single seat at the right rear as shown in the photo. You're probably right in that the photo is not a Ausf. D as the door hinges look to be big tube things which were used on the angled rear door whereas the simplified D had much simpler hinges - I think I'm right there :rolling:
By the way - what is that big round thing behind the front seats?

P1070396.JPG

P1070397.JPG

Thanks again

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A bit of progress. It's been rather too warm in the workroom recently to spend much time there.
I cut out the right side seat base and built a couple of stretcher racks.
P1070398.JPG

P1070400.JPG

P1070399.JPG
I scratched a couple of stretchers
P1070402.JPG
P1070401.JPG

The 3D decals are incredible. My photos don't really do them justice.
P1070405.JPG

P1070407.JPG
The radio is about 7mm across.

The interior is now detail painted and it had some oil work weathering. When it's dry I can button up the interior.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very neat as expected Jim, nice scratchery on the racks and stretchers.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Wowser Jim....that i.p. is sweet! All looks great, love the scratched racks for the stretchers. As to the big round thing....it reminds me of a recoil plate for a mortar, but the 8cm. Was mounted further back in the vehicle....perhaps Jakko has an idea as to it's function.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You're probably right in that the photo is not a Ausf. D as the door hinges look to be big tube things which were used on the angled rear door whereas the simplified D had much simpler hinges - I think I'm right there :rolling:
Sorry, I missed this question :sad: The Ausf. D had very simple hinges, because the rear was a plain, flat plate. The hinges in the photo of the real interior clearly show it’s an Ausf. A, B or C, as they needed something this elaborate due to the pointed hull rear.

By the way - what is that big round thing behind the front seats?
In the photo of the real thing? Off the top of my head, I seem to remember it’s a tank for drinking water, for the casualties.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Late in Jimbo and this is going to be a super build!!! Great progress, and your scratchy in 1/48 is superb my friend!!! The Quinta 3D decals look tops and make the dash and radio pop out...

Were they the last two bandages in the first aid kit you used for the stretchers'??? Hope not...If you should cut your finger during the build, I guess you'll be a goner..........Oh, and please throw Dr. Merryweather a sammich. I think he's hungry again...

Prost
Allen

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I'm late to the party too Jim. Love the half tracks. This is setting itself up for another cracking build. Love the stretchers, already feeling like a quick lie down!!!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys for all your kind comments. The canvas I used for the stretchers was some I had left over from the hammocks on the HMS Victory cross section which some may remember.
I've done all the interior painting so it can be buttoned up. I made a couple of blankets to go on the stretchers. Just bits of wet wipes soaked in dilute PVA.
P1070408.JPG

P1070409.JPG