Tamiya Honda VFR 750 R.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, my choice of paints are Tamiya, not to everyones taste as they do not have the vast choice of colours and shades that other manufactures provide, but I have always used them and I am used to how much to thin, and what pressures work best so I stick with them. I have tried Vallejo a couple of times but I just can not get on with them them, each to their own I suppose.
To answer your question, the paint on the engine is Metallic grey with just a drop of Nato brown to try and replicate the magnesium cases of the original, perhaps not spot on but it will do for me.

Andy.
Thanks Andy, you've certainly managed to capture it perfectly. I've never tried Tamiya due to the though of the fumes and I've had more than my fair share of problems with Vallejo. Now using 3rd Gen and enjoying it.

First Name
Andy
Thanks Andy, you've certainly managed to capture it perfectly. I've never tried Tamiya due to the though of the fumes and I've had more than my fair share of problems with Vallejo. Now using 3rd Gen and enjoying it.
John, the Tamiya paints I use are acrylic so not much in the way of fumes in my opinion.

Andy.

Reactions: JR
First Name
Andy
Wheels done.
51844817195_1fc29af72e_b.jpg

Tamiya do make nice tyres.
51844817240_3ec2f9454a_b.jpg

Andy.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
John, the Tamiya paints I use are acrylic so not much in the way of fumes in my opinion.

Andy.
Agree aerosols are very pungent i used a lot of the new TS83 silver last build it was hard going even with the extractor on full belt but the acrilic is very mild odour (quite like the smell)
simon

Reactions: JR
First Name
Andy
Nearly there with the model now although even with it being a Tamiya kit there were a couple of things that did not fit so well and needed a bit of fettling, nothing tragic but it is an older model so I will let them off. :smiling4:

51851160720_66d9b54b29_b.jpg

Front end and rear wheel.

51850834859_096fac1823_b.jpg

While waiting for parts to set I tried one of the decals on the rear panel and it does not want to conform to the curves properly even with liberal use of setting soloution so I may have to resort to painting the parts, that might draw a few tears with masking. :crying:

Andy.

First Name
Andy
Almost built now, just need to fit the headlights and the clocks then decide what to do with the fairing panels, still battling with the decals on the seat panels.
Just looking at the pictures and noticed I have not painted the pipes between the rdiator and the oil cooler, clown! Job for tomorrow.

51852829218_11533277ec_b.jpg

51852752801_2008dc4eb2_o.jpg

Andy.

First Name
Andy
Well, after much faffing about using gallons of setting soloution the decals on this thing have got me beat, I think the best thing is to take them off and try to paint the rear panels. In doing that I will lose the white VFR750 R writing on the sides unless there is some way I can save the bit of decal with the writing on it, anyone got any ideas on how to remove decals without destroying them?

Andy.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Unfortunately not Andy and it was going so well. Should think Tim will know of something.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well, after much faffing about using gallons of setting soloutionthe decals on this thing have got me beat, I think the best thing is to take them off and try to paint the rear panels. In doing that I will lose the white VFR750 R writing on the sides unless there is some way I can save the bit of decal with the writing on it, anyone got any ideas on how to remove decals without destroying them?

Andy.
WISH i could help you Andy but ive never used this setting soloutionthe decals so i was just goin to suggest just painting water over them but i dont think that will help you so sorry
chris

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
anyone got any ideas on how to remove decals without destroying them?
I've removed some by soaking the part in warm water, but your setting solution might stop that from working. Mine came off in one piece, but I didn't try to re-attach them.
Pete

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
You could leave it naked it looks quite taste with out the fairings!
i have soaked and removed but they curl and twist if they come off in one piece, good luck could you print a new set? Ill see if i have a set in my stash and if i can print some for you whats the kit ref?
simon

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry, nothing here to help either. Only thing I can suggest is to keep the lettered part, take off the rest, and then try to match the colour on the rest when spraying up.
I do think Tamiya decals are their low point though, especially on the bikes and cars. Kits are great, decals much less so. Last time I built one I had ninety percent of the decal floating in the water with the last ten percent refusing to leave the paper. There must be a market for replacement Tamiya decals out there….

First Name
Lloyd
Paint work looks great, sorry if i missed it but are you air brushing? I am doing a bike as well, will update my pics, my paint work looks horrible, also using Tamiya paints but its blotchy once dried, any advice for me?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Sorry, missed the updates and sorry to hear about the problems. That was coming on so nicely too!!

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Paint work looks great, sorry if i missed it but are you air brushing? I am doing a bike as well, will update my pics, my paint work looks horrible, also using Tamiya paints but its blotchy once dried, any advice for me?
Hi Lloyd. I wouldn’t brush paint with Tamiya paint. It dries too fast to get a good finish. It sprays well, but is horrible to brush paint. Consider changing to another make like Vallejo. It is much friendlier for brush painting. Tamiya spray cans are pretty good though, if a bit smelly…..you could spray the main parts and brush paint the detail….

Sorry for diving in here Peter….

First Name
Andy
As others have said, Tamiya does not brush too well, I am a Tamiya acrylic user and only brush small parts with it and use an airbrush for everything else.

Andy.

First Name
Andy
This the ones? Mine are quite old feeling!,! But i‘ll try and copy them for you
simon
Those are the very ones, if you can copy them name your price my friend, if not then perhaps I can buy the originals from you.

Andy.