Tamiya Hyakushiki III 1/48

First Name
Michael
OK, rubbed off the salt. Some of the paint has discoloured, I think it is where the water was applied to stick the salt, I think it looks ok.

It's quite difficult I think to get the chipping at the right scale if you know what I mean, but the effect is great, it was also hard to know how much salt to sprinkle, practice make perfect I guess.

One thing I did not do was salt chipping to the propellers, I painted them way back when waiting on the P.E. I'm also unsure if the props are ali or wood, if wood of course I'll have to think again re weathering. Anyone got an idea what they are made of?

I'm going to put a gloss coat on now for the decals. M

View attachment 59360

View attachment 59361

View attachment 59362

100_1971.jpg

100_1972.jpg

100_1973.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
The salt chipping has turned out really well Michael. I have not tried this method of weathering but may in the future have you used acrylic paints?

First Name
Michael
Thanks guys, Yes Vaugan I used Tamiya acrylics, I think it will take a few attempts to get this technique to work just the way I want it to but I really like it, it's worth a go for sure. M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Just got caught up Michael, and she's looking great. The salt chipping has worked really well and given it a nice scruffy look.

Can't wait for the masking to come off, and the two constipated aircrew to show their faces.:cheesygrin:

Crack on sir.

Tony.

First Name
Dave
Looks good Michael.I tried for a similar effect on a Zero using masking fluid.It worked but didn't look at all realistic.Salt is Definately the way to go.

M

mobear

salt is an awesome way go to for chipping,love the effect

mobear

P

phalinmegob

i tried it once and had the same problem in that the paint around the salt chips discoloured and looked bleached out, havnt tried it again since

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The salt chipping turned out well Michael, looking forward to the next episode.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good result Michael, all looking just fine.

Ron

T

treyzx10r

Michael ,excellent results with the salt chipping! The salt will fade the paint that way sometimes but I think it adds to the weathered effect very nicely myself! Looking forward to seeing this unmasked ,keep up the great work! I'll check back through my Jap research material and try to get an answer for you on the props,pretty certain they were metal cheers Trey

First Name
Michael
Thanks guys. Trey it was looking at a Raiden you built a while ago that tempted me to try thesalt.

I think the faded paint looks good too.

As I mentioned at the start of this thread the decal sheet looked pretty dodgy on this kit, I bought it from eBay so it could be quite old. Anyway I attempted to apply the decals last night and it was a bit of a disaster, many of them disintegrated as soon as they hit the water and the ones I did manage to get on are rigid and will not sit nice at all no matter how much micro-sol I use, I will look for some replacements online tonight, meanwhile this build will come to a standstill.

I've got a little 1/144 jet I'm also building so that will keep me busy for now.

M

T

treyzx10r

Sorry to hear about the decals Michael, thats always a roll of the dice with the older ones. I know its hard for me to spend almost as much for decals as I did for the kit but sometimes it just has to happen that way. Hope you find what you need at a decent price ,do'nt let it get you down! cheers Trey

First Name
Michael
Thanks Trey, got some Japanese Hinomaru roundel decals on their way to me in the post. I think I can save the tailplane decals and I'll paint the fuse-band and the yellow markings on the leading edges of the wings, probably should have done this anyway. I quite like the way this kit is turning out so it's worth the extra wait and effort.

Thanks m

First Name
Michael
Well at a standstill with the Hakushiki, so dug this out and finished it, started it a couple of months ago but didn't have the right Alclad to paint it.

Its a Tamiya kit 1/100 and it is of course a Dassault Mirage.

These little Tamiya kits are great. Bit disappointed with the canopy fit, believe it or not didn't even spot until I looked at the pics, oh well.

M

View attachment 59623

View attachment 59624

View attachment 59625

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice little Mirage there Michael. A shame about the decals on your main build, happens to me with my ancient kits. The wait for the new dacals will be well worth it, the Hyakushiki is looking great.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful ! . a 5 star job if ever i saw one. Its a fantastic looking aircraft isnt it, it just looks so smooth and fast! Ive got the Tamiya " shitei" (dont even attempt to pronounce it!!!) version in the stash , the one with a stepped windscreen and cannon armament including a 37mm in a 'Schrage Musik' type installation . Top work matey , you should be well chuffed with this one , cheers tony

M

mobear

what a cracking build this is one of the japanese aircraft i want to build some time in the future,5*s from me for this its great

mobear