Tamiya M10 IIC Achilles

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Thanks for the support Bob! :thumb2:
As for the shells, they are painted plastic, from the Bronco 17pdr ammo set. I airbrushed them with normal Tamiya gold acrylic, hand-painted the heads & stripes (badly!), and used the decals from the same Bronco 17pdr ammo set for the stencilled details. I think they really made the turret interior detail pop. The PE retaining straps helped, to be fair.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Welcome aboard Pete. :smiling3:

Alistair, I agree, quite a focal point, although my interior will have crew in place and will probably obscure the shells. Might nick the strap idea though. ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The rounds in the ready rack in the back of the turret are quite prominent, even with a crew in there too.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yer ‘tis (apologies to those who saw this first time around
Can I ask you to make a thread in the complete armour build section of this build.
Then I can delet these and put a link in their place!
Alistair, happy for you to post pics. :smiling3:
Perhaps it would have been better if you had read my post about posting of builds in other people's threads befor you replied to that.

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Can I ask you to make a thread in the complete armour build section of this build.
Then I can delet these and put a link in their place!

Perhaps it would have been better if you had read my post about posting of builds in other people's threads befor you replied to that.
Just delete them then Ian, I’m not precious about it. I just wanted to share my pleasure in Bob’s choice of subject (and I did ask his permission to do so) - I didn’t expect to call down the wrath of the moderators because of it.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Alistair. Please don't take offence. Your build was indeed fantastic. But we (as mods and forum) have just had a lengthy discussion regarding the posting of finished build pics on other person's threads. Whilst i understand you were asked to post them, we had agreed in the thread i mentioned that only pics of build issues/work arounds would be posted. Links to finished builds would be ok.

So we are not incurring a wrath on you. Just trying to point out that it was not within the conditions we had stated.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob

I did, but I asked for the pics as I thought they would be helpful to my build, which they were. As the OP I don't see the issue. However, if those are the rules that are being enforced, fair enough.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good morning chaps. :smiling3:

I got quite a lot done this weekend. First up was weathering the interior of the hull which was done with a wash of starship filth and some pigments. Then I got the shells/racks painted up and installed. I decided to use AK True Metal for the brass which turned into a bit of a nightmare as it kept rubbing off down to primer. I'm not sure what I did wrong, possibly finger print oils were the issue?

Once everything was dry I fitted and glued the upper and lower hull.

1.jpg

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

With that done I moved on to fitting the external parts of the upper hull, minus the tools and aerial which will get painted separately. The spare track grousers are just PVA'd on for the time being.

8.jpg9.jpg

With that done I built up the gun breech (which still needs a little filling) and started on the turret internals. I'm going to try something different with this and paint & weather each half separately before joining them. There are several parts that also need adding but will be painted separately and added later. :smiling3:

10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Nice work Bob - the fighting floor looks really good! For what you'll be able to see of the sponson ammo racks once the turret is on, I think the shells look fine.
I did the same as you with the turret internals, and painted them first before assembly, and then masked the turret open top to paint externally.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Alistair. :smiling3:

Yep, the plan was to mask the turret top and bottom once it's together.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great stuff. Interior came out excellent. PaulE

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Weathering and dust work is spot on Bob. Very nicely done. It looks a very "busy" build. Lots of interest going on. Keep up the great work mate

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The Stens? came out great too. PaulE

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Paul.

Yes the Sten's are nice, quite fraught cleaning up the mould lines but managed not to snap any.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Beautiful work Bob. Don't envy you all that masking. Great stuff