Tamiya Matilda 1/35

J

John Rixon

Well, she's done, and has been a joy to build, if a little tricky to paint, as I decided to use a brush for everything. This was mostly because I love painting, and I do this for my own hedonistic pleasure - I want it to look good / lived in / used / abused etc. but am not overly interested in overall accuracy, just an impression! Tricky, because painting straight, geometric patterns over what can only be described as a corrugated surface, is not easy, but I stuck with it, as I'm going to be hand painting my Dreadnought, so this was also an exercise in honing my skills with brushes!

So, here she is. View attachment 121950

View attachment 121951

View attachment 121952

View attachment 121953

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I do like a well painted Tilly and that's a fine one you've built there John:smiling3:

I've built this kit and it's a great kit to build

Did you know that although the instructions tell you to paint the blue this colour it is only that colour due to sun bleaching it , the actual colour was a blue grey :smiling3:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
great stuff love the colour of the camo got to build one one of the days and after seeing your work i want to build one all the more

J

John Rixon

\ said:
I do like a well painted Tilly and that's a fine one you've built there John:smiling3:
I've built this kit and it's a great kit to build

Did you know that although the instructions tell you to paint the blue this colour it is only that colour due to sun bleaching it , the actual colour was a blue grey :smiling3:
Yup! You're not the first to mention this, my main reference for the paint job was this:

View attachment 121960

But have also seen greyer ones!

Infantry_Tank_Mark_II_%28Matilda_II%29_-_MVTF.jpg

J

John Rixon

Just noticed, haven't fitted the rear view mirror...:oops:

L

Laurie

Very nice John. Love he running dirt.

Think for me I would have quietened down the blue to duller. But that is being fussy for me. Every man to his own. :rolleyes:

Like your comment "but am not overly interested in overall accuracy, just an impression". My sentiments. :smiling3:

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Yup! You're not the first to mention this, my main reference for the paint job was this:
View attachment 133777

Oh don't get me wrong I wasn't saying you've got it wrong or the instructions are wrong at all I was only saying the original colour was a grey blue :smiling3:

I know where your coming from though I've had a few discussions about the colour on these and the honey, I think the problem comes from what the colour was first painted and don't take into account the Suns effect on it :smiling3:

D

dubster72

I like that a lot John! Excellent work on the painting - doing it with a brush makes it even more impressive!

First Name
Robert
\ said:
View attachment 133777

:D :D:D

You mean you never painted this one? :D :D:D

Awesome build and fantastic paint job especially with brush too

Weathering is as you would spect a Matilda to look aswell ( have see a few on here and it sits up there among them.

I need to hone my skills in weathering more as this stage puts me off armour ( just a little )

Awesome build

Robert

First Name
Dave
I remember this kit from many moons ago and yearned after one for ages when I was a just a lad, ending up buying a Tamiya Chieftain instead because I had climbed on the turret of one outside of Bovington tank museum. I remember seeing a real Matilda there (Golden Miller I think).

I love the way you have done this model, you must be justly proud of it, I know that I would be.

Thing is now I want to build a tank now, ironically I have a chieftain in my stash (urban camo is the intended finish), going have to track (excuse the pun) down a Matilda now...........see what you've started, blast this modelling obsession :smiling:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very nice work John, like the subtle weathering and that mat? it is on looks kinda like a fresh cut hayfield a bit;) Jim:smiling3:

J

John Rixon

Actually folks, I've been thinking about this faded blue malarky, whilst out walking my dawg, and I reckon it has to be a myth! Whilst I can accept that the blue would fade / bleach in intense sunlight, I cannot see how a grey-blue would get "bluer" with sunlight. Blue grey will be basically black, white with a tint of blue. The only pigment in this mixture that would be affected radically by long exposure to sunlight is the blue, white ain't gonna fade, and black might go slightly greyer after a long time, but you get the picture.

\ said:
I remember this kit from many moons ago and yearned after one for ages when I was a just a lad, ending up buying a Tamiya Chieftain instead because I had climbed on the turret of one outside of Bovington tank museum. I remember seeing a real Matilda there (Golden Miller I think).
I love the way you have done this model, you must be justly proud of it, I know that I would be.

Thing is now I want to build a tank now, ironically I have a chieftain in my stash (urban camo is the intended finish), going have to track (excuse the pun) down a Matilda now...........see what you've started, blast this modelling obsession :smiling3:
Do it! It's a really crisp model with almost no flash or silly issues, you also get the choice of flexible tracks or styrene sections. The Caunter is a challenge, particularly over the rear deck, but with a bit of patience...!

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Very nice work John, like the subtle weathering and that mat? it is on looks kinda like a fresh cut hayfield a bit;) Jim:smiling3:
My thoughts precisely! One day, I'll get around to making a base / diorama, one day...!