• Start date

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Peter,
A bit late in i know,but i`m on board for the duration Sir :thumb2: ,
I`ve always liked the look of these early beasts...... although the term beast doesn`t exactly fit when compared to say,the Tiger,but in it`s day.......!
Nice start,
Andy

• Haha
Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Peter.

Out of interest do but you dabble much in the dark art of armour? I can only ever recall you doing busts and figures.

ATB

Andrew

D

Deleted member 7237

Your not hanging round Peter very neat and tidy build:thumb2:.
Mutual fan club member 002 Pete ;)

• Haha
D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Not usually my sort of thing either, but it's good to have a change. Nice also to have such a beautifully engineered kit after dealing with the casting issues on resin figures.

Andy - I like these early models too. They looks quite racy - built for speed rather than firepower.

Andrew - I have phases. There are several of my threads entitled 'Shenanigans' on the Military Vehicles Under Construction pages:

100_3851.JPG100_3579.JPG100_4033.JPG100_4121.JPG

Pete. - Well, it has taken me three days to get this far, which is an outrageously long time in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Neil - Not usually my sort of thing either, but it's good to have a change. Nice also to have such a beautifully engineered kit after dealing with the casting issues on resin figures.

Andy - I like these early models too. They looks quite racy - built for speed rather than firepower.

Andrew - I have fazes. There are several of my threads entitled 'Shenanigans' on the Military Vehicles Under Construction pages:

View attachment 403450View attachment 403453View attachment 403456View attachment 403457

Pete. - Well, it has taken me three days to get this far, which is an outrageously long time in my book.
Now your just showing off!!

In all seriousness they are up with some of the best I've seen!

ATB

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Those photos were great. I'd not seen them all before. Personally I'm glad you don't partake in Armour very often when they come out as good as those. :smiling::smiling::smiling:

D

Deleted member 6559

Andrew - Thanks, but can't agree with you there. They're nothing compared to the armour builds on this site.

John - I'm toying with the idea of making up a diorama with this tank and the Protze - I had intended it for a dio when I built it, but never got around to it. The Nemrod figures would be ideal.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Andrew - Thanks, but can't agree with you there. They're nothing compared to the armour builds on this site.

John - I'm toying with the idea of making up a diorama with this tank and the Protze - I had intended it for a dio when I built it, but never got around to it. The Nemrod figures would be ideal.
I can't agree with you, Peter, I think they look the business!
And those guys in the back of the Protze are just crying out for some tankies to banter with.

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Thanks, but I'm not convinced. Just ordered a pair of resin German tankers - thanks for the idea.

Jim - Cheers. A dio may well happen.

So, on to the turret:

100_8759.JPG

There is not much interior detail to the turret; just the gun breeches and sight, plus the commanders seat. I painted it all before assembly, though not much will be seen with the commander in position.

I then ran into problems. I lost the extra armour covering for the gun mantlet to the carpet monster, which is crazy, as it's not a small piece. Fortunately there was a part for an alternative version which I managed to cut down and make fit. Then, when I went to attach the turret, I found that I couldn't get it on because I'd put the semi-circular protecting rings (that prevent wash going under it) in the wrong place. Taking them off ruined them, so I had to make some more from plastic rod. They're slightly squarer in profile than they should be, but I think they look OK - they'll have to do anyway.

Next, on to the weathering.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. Looking very well and I think John’s getting a little nervous about you ability to build Armor you may still his thunder

• Haha

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

This is definitely a change from the norm, and a cracking start, speedy too.

Some scratchery which has blended nicely, well done.

1/35 figures, You might need to pace yourself doing the heads to save your eyes!

Looks like a dio is well on the way for your sporty Pz II and the Protze

Have a good day with the armour and the fg too, perhaps a better day to build than paint figures!

Regards

Steve H

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Peter, I remember the last time you built something that was not a figure...it was good. This will be just as good. The images of the finished builds you posted have that Verlinden finish to it...nice.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Thanks for looking in. John's certainly got nothing to worry about.

Steve - Not sure how much I'm enjoying this - armour is a dark art to me. I would like to do a dio with some figures, but I may have to pace my eyes.

Richard - Can't beat the old Verlinden dry-brush and wash method. Hopelessly outdated, but good enough for me:

The weathering is more or less complete:

100_8768.JPG100_8769.JPG100_8770.JPG100_8771.JPG

This was done with dry-brushing and washes. I started initially with a couple of lighter shades of Vallejo German Grey then gradually introduced English Uniform and Flat Flesh into the mix. After a wash of thinned black, I then brushed graphite on to suggest wear to the surfaces, then picked out the extreme highlights with oily steel. Finally I went over the whole thing lining and pin-washing with a fine brush. There was quite a bit of backwards and forwards between stages as adjustments were made.

Next, the tools.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. Nice updates weathering looks great I like the worn edge look

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,