Tamiya sdkfz 251/1 (ish)

X

Xarathustra

Cockpit pretty much done. I wasn’t really too sure how to
tackle the instrument panel after deciding that an ivory colour was too pale so opted for a kind of distressed pale grey so that the dials show up a bit better. This’ll be hidden by the drivers roof so little point in getting too fussy!

1386C61F-40C9-444A-A1B0-4D730BD05A38.jpeg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work George. I dont know if are into dry brushing but a bit of gun metal/steel on those seat springs would be the icing on the cake. Great stuff sir. Keep it comin

X

Xarathustra

Nice work George. I dont know if are into dry brushing but a bit of gun metal/steel on those seat springs would be the icing on the cake. Great stuff sir. Keep it comin

I am and I did (with metallic grey) Steve, then they looked a bit too shiny, so I went over them again with German grey. I might give them another go though as the shade that they're in might work a treat if they stand out a bit more :smiling3:

X

Xarathustra

So...I thought I might have a go at seeing if these (weapons?) storage bins might work. The photo is of the right hand one supported roughly over the benches. I think they’ll look ok...but I’m wondering exactly what they were for & as I’m planning to make this not an ambulance don’t want to add them if they’ll be out of place. There’s no guidance from eduard as to what they are they I can find...any ideas?
TIA etc

0D19AE8C-1781-4595-9298-DEA86757BCB3.jpegBADBD5A2-36E5-4359-BF51-C1FBA46B874D.jpeg

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Those bins are standard for the basic 251 ,all Ausf.s
Those etched bins look a lot better than the kit ones.
The starboard forward bin is usually a rifle rack otherwise the bins were used for anything that'd fit.
Jon.

X

Xarathustra

Those bins are standard for the basic 251 ,all Ausf.s
Those etched bins look a lot better than the kit ones.
The starboard forward bin is usually a rifle rack otherwise the bins were used for anything that'd fit.
Jon.

Thanks Jon.
There aren't any bins on the standard Tamiya model I have, so I'll get 'em stuck on then!
There is a somewhat complicated kind of rack affair that I'm having a go at that (somehow) goes inside the forward end of the bins on both sides. I'm not confident at being able to fit all the bits in, so I may have to 'humour' them a bit :smirk:
I'll probably put a few other nits 'n pieces in the bins anyway, along with any spare weapons I've got. So what appears to be a rack is likely to be fairly well covered up...at least I think it'd be better if they were!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
George, all the etch are going on well. Does improve the interior of the kit.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good mate, keep going
John .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m wondering exactly what they were for
As Jon said there’s a rifle rack in the front one, holding four rifles horizontally against the hull side. The rear one is for general stowage, including vehicle equipment and passengers’ kit.

There aren't any bins on the standard Tamiya model I have, so I'll get 'em stuck on then!
The seat backs are part of the bins, so if Tamiya’s kit has those (I don’t remember …) then they probably figured they could double as the stowage bins.

There is a somewhat complicated kind of rack affair that I'm having a go at that (somehow) goes inside the forward end of the bins on both sides.
That would be the rifle rack :smiling3: You can probably get away with only actually building the top part and sticking one or two plastic rifles in it to hide everything below them.

I'll probably put a few other nits 'n pieces in the bins anyway, along with any spare weapons I've got. So what appears to be a rack is likely to be fairly well covered up...at least I think it'd be better if they were!
If you have some spare German infantry equipment, like canteens, rolled shelter quarters, etc. then putting those in will make the bins look busy. And, of course, some more generic things like nondescript bags, rolled cloth, a couple of machine gun ammo boxes, etc. will work well too.

X

Xarathustra

As Jon said there’s a rifle rack in the front one, holding four rifles horizontally against the hull side. The rear one is for general stowage, including vehicle equipment and passengers’ kit.

The seat backs are part of the bins, so if Tamiya’s kit has those (I don’t remember …) then they probably figured they could double as the stowage bins.

That would be the rifle rack :smiling3: You can probably get away with only actually building the top part and sticking one or two plastic rifles in it to hide everything below them.

If you have some spare German infantry equipment, like canteens, rolled shelter quarters, etc. then putting those in will make the bins look busy. And, of course, some more generic things like nondescript bags, rolled cloth, a couple of machine gun ammo boxes, etc. will work well too.

Ah ha... it makes sense now. So I assume the butt end of the rifle is pointing aft?

F12F63BD-7BAA-49BC-B1FF-64C10A85D40B.jpeg

Sadly the openings are a bit too narrow to get any rifle butt I have to hand...but I’ve bought quite a lot of infantry pieces lately so there’s bound to be something I can use.
There are no inside storage bins provided on this model...only one either side mounted above the track mud guards, but they’re moulded closed anyway.
Thanks

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ah ha... it makes sense now. So I assume the butt end of the rifle is pointing aft?
Yes, and if I recall correctly, the top of the rifle goes against the hull side.

Sadly the openings are a bit too narrow to get any rifle butt I have to hand...
You can always scrape them down a little with your knife. If you do this on the side that will face down, it won’t be visible at all on the built model.

Don’t forget to paint the inside of the rack and the rifles before putting them in, by the way.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The AA or squad MG can also go in one of the longer ones. PaulE

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello George,
Coming along ok, and getting to grips with the etch. A small tip, On small parts use two pair of tweezers, I use a pointed set and a flat eyebrow set on permanent loan from the boss. So much easier than getting too many fingers in the way and blocking your view.
Cheers, Mike.
PS, that's better makes logical reading now....

Last edited:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I thought you liked gluing your fingers together Mike?:smiling5::smiling3:

Reactions: JR
X

Xarathustra

Hello George,
Coming along ok, and getting to grips with the etch. A small tip, On small parts use two pair of tweezers, I
Cheers, Mike. use a pointed set and a flat eyebrow set on permanent loan from the boss. So much easier than getting too many fingers in the way and blocking your view.

Good idea Mike. I'll have a root through the missus' make-up kit...or something :smiling:
Some if the weeny little 'fasteners' are just too small so I'm going to omit most of them.

X

Xarathustra

Slow progress given the festivities, however the storage bins are glued in place, primed & one cost of grey. The rifle racks I’m hoping are in roughly the right place with what appear to be support brackets glued underneath them.
I had to prime the small parts with a brush & use humbrol ‘flesh’ enamel as it’s the only proper paint I’ve got! I hope does the trick...god alone knows how you’d be able to spray these unless in situ. I feared that if I did that there’d be primer everywhere given the small parts & my lack of ability when spraying primer! :confused:

146BAF18-8F74-400A-ACB2-1E41BBDD3894.jpeg

I’ve also ‘blinged up’ the chair springs with some dry brushed aluminium but doubt they’ll be any more visible once the top half is on .

F192CB13-4A26-447E-9EAB-D0CFB57E833C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You’re making a pretty good job of it, I’d say. Stuff like this is best to paint before closing up the model, when you think you can still reach everything. (By the way, can I ask you to rotate your photos 90° left before posting them? It would save many necks, I think :smiling3:).

X

Xarathustra

Thanks!
Yes, I know it’s annoying. I’m using the phone to take these photos & don’t think it has a rotate option :sad:
I’ll paint the rifle racks next & then muck around with the seats (eduard wants me to shorten the forward two to the same ‘length’ as the bins...not sure how well that’ll go!).
I’m assuming the seat covers would’ve been grey as well.
I’ve got some mini art & tamiya weaponry on the way so I should be able to load up the bins easily enough

X

Xarathustra

Thanks!
Yes, I know it’s annoying. I’m using the phone to take these photos & don’t think it has a rotate option :sad:
I’ll paint the rifle racks next & then muck around with the seats (eduard wants me to shorten the forward two to the same ‘length’ as the bins...not sure how well that’ll go!).
I’m assuming the seat covers would’ve been grey as well.
I’ve got some mini art & tamiya weaponry on the way so I should be able to load up the bins easily enough

[edit] found the photo rotate button!! :smiling2: