Tamiya Willys jeep (beginner!)

D

Dave1973

ok, before everyone jumps on me badly, I have only just begun making models, this is my third model, (previous, a scrapyard triumph Tr4a and an F1 car)

Been doing it since Aug this year after I broke my back in two places in a road accident. So this is my past time now!

Anyway, excuse the soldier, I have ordered some flat flesh paint, so I struggled to get anything like a skin tone!

As for the truck, I airbrushed the main parts in Olive Green Matt, then applied the decals. I used Microsol to make them really dig into the crevices. Then i covered it all with Matt varnish. Once dry, I used 1200 grit paper and roughed them up some.

Continued to build the model up, and used decalfix and weathering powders to get the muddy dirt effect. I was happy with this, but obviously, looking at a lot on here, it's amateur.

I'm currently doing an SAS jeep then onto a Challenger tank.

Remember, I'm a newbie at this, so don't expect brilliant work!

View attachment 120628

View attachment 120629

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

dougie

I'd be well happy with that, you have used some good techniques and built a good model. I would suggest a less glossy finish on the wheels? Maybe some Matt varnish?

Can't really fault it for one of your first.

Nice work

D

Dave1973

Thanks Dougie.

I was a bit confused by the finish, as I had used Matt Varnish all over to set the weathering, but for some reason it left this sheen,

I think I'm going to go back over the entire model with some Humbrol Mattcote thinned down on the airbrush, especially as I want to do the soldiers skin a better colour.

I wasn't happy with his uniform, I really really struggled with that, I guess I need to read up more and practice.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
cant fault that, i like what you have done with it

like dougie said, the only downside is the shiny finish, i always use Humbrol matt Varnish in a rattle can just for easiness

i wouldnt fret about the figure.....something i really struggle with.....bit of a black art i find

look forward to seeing the next thing on the bench

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Just the shine that needs toning down, unless of course it is raining and the vehicle is wet :D

Nowt wrong mate, it looks dapper and the figure is way better than I could...hate em.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nothing more to be said Dave, good effort mate

Lee :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

Great job, better than I could do, one thing humbrol matt you need to warm it up and stir it all the time or you will get white streaks, I'm an enamels man and hate acrylics but I bought acrylic matt coats to aviod this, personally I will never use humbrol matt coat again, although everything else I do is with enamels.

Ps welcome to the friendliest forum on the net.

J

John Rixon

Looks very good for a first real outing! Good to see you've ploughed in with dirt and general wear and tear! As folks have already said, some matt varnish on the tyres and uniform, and maybe an eggshell finish on the bodywork would make the difference! But, all in all that gets a gong from me!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Nowt wrong with that its better than my third model I built and we are all amateurs no mater how good we are/get :smiling3:

Keep at it and on that evidence you'll be as good as the guys on here in no time :smiling3:

That's a nice jeep. I am about to start this very model in the next couple of weeks. Looks a nice kit.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
For one of your very first models I think it looks great. You have a good eye for color and weathering, I think you just need to get a few more builds under your belt to begin to start coming into your own.

Check out my kinda tutorial on washing and dry brushing techniques in my "Duster AASPG" thread {page 7 in Completed Armored Vehicles forum} Hope you can get a couple of helpful tips from it and as always everyone here is more than happy to help with any advice you may seek.............Jim:smiling3:

D

Doug Hughes

You won't get 'jumped' on here Dave - it's a really friendly forum, with lots of encouragement and constructive comments. Anyway, beginner or not, you've made a great job of it.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Cracking job Dave, a great well used jeep ............ I like it a lot...and the figure is painted spot on. I can't paint them for spit. One pointer, it's not a criticism ......... Dry brush a little brown on the tyre treads and tyre walls...... dirty them up a little, but don't overcook it.

Well worth a "Great Build".

B

Benhur

I have just started again on this type of modelling and your effort is way beyond my first model. Reckon you will be an expert in no time.

D

Dave1973

Benhur, you are WAY too nice!

Takeslpusyphotos, great advice, I was actually thinking, those tyres look a bit TOO clean.

I'm going to redo the odd bits, when the paints turn up, and I'll update a new photo.

You guys are all too nice! The soldier looks way bad!! I've seen some of yours and this is nowhere near a hundredth as good. But that's why I'm here, to watch you guys, and see what you do.

By the way, every one of these models is going on my five year olds shelf, as a way of saying thank you to him for being brave, and helping me through everything these last two months.

D

demon

Just my opinion but for a brush painted model I recon that's spot on my friend just the sheen needs to go then it will look perfect love the mud on the windscreen and the worn star just my opinion try vajello Matt acrylic

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Just my opinion but for a brush painted model I recon that's spot on my friend just the sheen needs to go then it will look perfect love the mud on the windscreen and the worn star just my opinion try vajello Matt acrylic
Poundshop mattcoat aerosol does the job nicely.........stand the can in some very warm (not hot) water for a while, and give it a good shake. :D

L

Laurie

Very nice I wished I could have achieved that finish on my third outing

Agree on the matt varnish You can do that now providing you mask the windscreen

Laurie